It is unrealistic but... Own the Ricoh (at least half of it at least) or Build a new stadium at Warwick Uni? (1 Viewer)

TwistAndShoutCCFC1987

I know we are likely never going to own the ricoh , and it remains to be seen whether we even will build the new ground BUT in an ideal world would you rather play at and own at least half of the ricoh , or build a new stadium at warwick uni?

pastythegreat

I know we are likely never going to own the ricoh , and it remains to be seen whether we even will build the new ground BUT in an ideal world would you rather play at and own at least half of the ricoh , or build a new stadium at warwick uni?
Warwick uni.
I feel like there's so much bad blood and negativity surrounding the Ricoh now. The ONLY positive of the stadium is its in a CV postcode.
Also from a selfish perspective, living in Tile Hill, Warwick uni is a much, much better location for a ground for me. Woodlands School is my preferred site, but virtually impossible so ill happily settle for the Uni.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Potentially

Something seems to be afoot though judging by people trying to get things whipped up.

This thread is the perfect example. I'd guess somebody is desperate to buy half or somebody is desperate to sell half.

SG21

It's not the end of the world if we don't own the ground, but I'm quite happy to forget the ricoh is even there and just start at Warwick uni for reasons already stated in another thread. If you didn't see that post, in short, the ricoh was a mistake that never made sense to me in the first place.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Stay/return to Ricoh Arena.
Having a another new Stadium in a worse location , with likely problems with in delays and costs involved and likely to be much smaller size makes very little sense to me. So the Warwick university idea is not attractive to me at all.
Football club to own 50% might be a good thing. However would the owner of the football club owning 50% of Ricoh Arena being SISU that might not necessarily be a good thing . It's possible that arrangement could be very short term just to generate a sale to someone else which might be OK (in saying all of this other new owner's in theory at least could be even worse).

Sorry if this doesn't read too well !

chiefdave

Stay/return to Ricoh Arena.
Having a another new Stadium in a worse location , with likely problems with in delays and costs involved and likely to be much smaller size makes very little sense to me. So the Warwick university idea is not attractive to me at all.
Football club to own 50% might be a good thing. However would the owner of the football club owning 50% of Ricoh Arena being SISU that might not necessarily be a good thing . It's possible that arrangement could be very short term just to generate a sale to someone else which might be OK (in saying all of this other new owner's in theory at least could be even worse).

Sorry if this doesn't read too well !
Not sure Warwick Uni is a bad location. If all the transport infrastructure plans for the uni come off it would be a better venue on that front than the Ricoh. Of course its impossible to say if one would be better than the other when we have absolutely no idea what any stadium at the uni would be like, the finances involved etc.

Think ownership of any stadium is a red herring. In any scenario be it renting, leasing or owning there's money coming in and costs going out. Any deal that sets up the in and out in an acceptable way makes who ultimately owns the stadium pretty much irrelevant.

SBT

Our current ground in Coventry is shabby, devoid of recent good memories, and we can't fill it, or compete financially while we're there. Clearly the answer is to build a modern, new stadium on the outskirts of town. There is no way this plan can backfire.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Our current ground in Coventry is shabby, devoid of recent good memories, and we can't fill it, or compete financially while we're there. Clearly the answer is to build a modern, new stadium on the outskirts of town. There is no way this plan can backfire.

OK I have not been to watch Coventry anywhere near as much as before our relegation from top flight. I used to go to 90% plus of all games and moved location since and have been a fraction of the games I used to go to. I don't really have bad memories of Ricoh Arena at all. Some shocking results and of course plummeted to the depths of level 2,3 and 4. There were some pretty bad memories of Highfield road too of course albeit vast majority of those in top flight . I prefer Rioch Arena to Highfield Road as a stadium , ok not not quite the range of pubs etc but it really isn't as far out as people make out , 3.5 miles from city centre, that's nothing.

We can fill it just needs a better team, the same issue about filling the stadium existed at Highfield Road. Although Coventry City has a reasonably large supporter base they just don't turn out in the same numbers compared to other clubs with similar support base I have to say many of Coventry City problems are partly caused by the some of the supporters consistent apathy over many years(no doubt doesn't include you or me SBT!) Also I think many people like myself have moved away from Coventry too and local younger potential supporters have been drawn to other clubs in Premier League . You only have to focus on the numbers we took to our last four games at Wembley and that we were in top 6 supported clubs in England in the late 60's to know we could have the numbers under the right conditions. Just those conditions just don't seem to happen very often!

One last thing sorry "There is no way this plan can backfire" -That's a very brave statement.

fernandopartridge

Get our own sub lease for the longest possible term with rights to full match day income, it isn't a 50:50 with Wasps.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that 365 day events income is a red herring and not convinced the Ricoh delivers much in that respect anyway.

As part of the agreement take charge of pitch maintenance and recharge a fee to Wasps for it.

Paxman II

I can't see how WASP can sustain their presence at the Ricoh. They need hotels etc to maintain a full account of themselves and ideally a football club with support base much larger than their own would also be a great advantage, not just in rental terms but sponsorships and the rest of it. A higher profile helps WASP enormously.
The question will remain the same. A stadium built for the football club was given away with council assitance, with an extended lease with little consequence for the football club, thanks to it's ownership difficulties. Regardless the fact SISU have straightened out their house slightly in recent years, that issue will remain. A shorter term deal (for say 5 years) would be ideal for both parties with options for new owners of the football club (after SISU) to negotiate a long term agreement which could form sharing some ownership rights etc.

Old Warwickshire lad

Not sure Warwick Uni is a bad location. If all the transport infrastructure plans for the uni come off it would be a better venue on that front than the Ricoh. Of course its impossible to say if one would be better than the other when we have absolutely no idea what any stadium at the uni would be like, the finances involved etc.

Think ownership of any stadium is a red herring. In any scenario be it renting, leasing or owning there's money coming in and costs going out. Any deal that sets up the in and out in an acceptable way makes who ultimately owns the stadium pretty much irrelevant.
But surely Warwick Uni is too far from the city centre. 🤔

chiefdave

But surely Warwick Uni is too far from the city centre. 🤔
In an ideal world you'd have a city centre stadium but where would you build it? Especially when you have an uncooperative council.

So if you're having a stadium that's not in the city centre then transport links come in to play. The Uni manages to get about 30K full time staff and students in and out of the site even before several large infrastructure projects come into consideration. Add in a major junction on the new relief road, the light rail project and the proposed Kings Hill rail station and access should be a lot better than the Ricoh.

Anyway, that's enough posts about a non-existing stadium for one day :D

cov donkey kick

Can't see city owning any part of the ricoh as wasps backed by CCC agreeing to that so Warwick uni site would be ideal if not a figment of joys imagination and guess we will know by the autumn this year as the suits at the football league will need to know.

letsallsingtogether

In an ideal world you'd have a city centre stadium but where would you build it? Especially when you have an uncooperative council.

So if you're having a stadium that's not in the city centre then transport links come in to play. The Uni manages to get about 30K full time staff and students in and out of the site even before several large infrastructure projects come into consideration. Add in a major junction on the new relief road, the light rail project and the proposed Kings Hill rail station and access should be a lot better than the Ricoh.

That's the problem I live near the uni it is a nightmare when all the students are there.
The 1000s of houses they are building on kings hill will only make it worse.
They are expecting everyone to turn up on public transport never going to happen.

SG21

We don't know the details of course, but I think a stadium there could be quite a success. The ricoh is quite expensive to use for events, so a smaller ground close to a uni where students could fill seems quite a good combination. Be it for football, gigs, maybe even cov rugby, shows etc. You also have cannon park nearby so the shops etc there could see a financial boost.

I'm interested to see how the council would respond if this actually gets to that stage of them needing to respond.

Hugh Jarse

Woodlands, never! As my old house master use to say ”Broad Lane is neither broad or a lane”. Nightmare. And for that reason, I’m ooot!

I can see some attraction at the Warwick Uni site but that’s only if all of the travel infrastructure is in place before we move there.

As to Ricoh, too many bad memories and the stench of Wasps will linger long after they’ve gone.

Legia Sky Blue

I think you're underestimating the travel issues connected with a potential stadium near Warwick Uni. Most of the Warwick Uni students will live on campus or near enough and won't require transport, so you're not really comparing like with like. As of now I also think the Ricoh has better transport links than the Uni, although I appreciate that you are expecting new network links to compensate for that in time. Even so surely any new rail links will be subject to the same issues that the Ricoh has had, and we can expect the same parking restrictions to apply as do at the Ricoh.

Bad Boy

Woodlands, never! As my old house master use to say ”Broad Lane is neither broad or a lane”. Nightmare. And for that reason, I’m ooot!

I can see some attraction at the Warwick Uni site but that’s only if all of the travel infrastructure is in place before we move there.

As to Ricoh, too many bad memories and the stench of Wasps will linger long after they’ve gone.

Malins boy are you HJ?

johnwillomagic

Warwick uni for me every time - really do not want to return to the Ricoh at all tbh.
Never really warmed to Ricoh - much preferred Highfield Road much better for a pub crawl too.

D

Deleted member 2477

Warwick uni. We will be able to call it our own, have an identity and manage the pitch as we need.
we wont have to look at wasps badges, be in the pockets of wasps or the council and the Ricoh is in need of a serious cash injection to complete repairs and modernisation for very little return

Users who are viewing this thread