is this acceptable....... (1 Viewer)

ampthill_sba

If a team wins all 23 home games and draws all 23 away games = 92 points and auto promo.

This has never been done.

Therefore some away games need to be won and this was the sort that we should have won. AT is a clown at tactics OR his players are very very naughty at not following his instructions to 'pass' the ball to each other.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Think from 23 home games need to be aiming for 45 points
13 wins 6 draws 4 losses

That would leave us needing 30 away points to make the play offs

23 away games
8 wins 6 draws 9 losses

So with an average away record we would be looking at having to have an excellent home record

dongonzalos

Well that becomes the norm, supplemented by the odd home draw and defeat and the odd away win and defeat. To me will mean at least the play offs.

For me this is an acceptable tough away draw, in the first game of the season in a new league with a handful of new players.

I will take this, followed by a draw or win against shef utd.

Colchester took a pasting from this yoevil team the other day. The only reason they won't be competing for play offs is they have no depth.

By the time we play them at the Ricoh my prediction will be three - nil to us.

They will have injuries our strength in depth will show.

dongonzalos

13 wins 6 draws 4 losses

23 away games
8 wins 6 draws 9 losses

So with an average away record we would be looking at having to have an excellent home record

Sounds like a very reasonable plan.

WeWillBeBack

13 wins 6 draws 4 losses

23 away games
8 wins 6 draws 9 losses

Think this is realistically what the outcome of this season will be. Perhaps a few less away losses and a few more draws...

Nonleagueherewecome

13 wins 6 draws 4 losses

23 away games
8 wins 6 draws 9 losses

OK, lets do that then. :)

Nonleagueherewecome

Yea, or shall we just win the next 91 league games consecutively and play in the premier league in 14/15 season?

Only when I get the new Football Manager :)

Diehard Si

It's not really acceptable to draw at Yeovil, that said we didn't lose.

Yes I know its going to be tough going to these grounds and we shouldn't expect an easy time, we be should be expecting ( or let me re-phrase that , we should be INSISTING ) on a win. If Cody had taken some of those chances then we would have won. That was the difference this time.

What's important now is the likes of Shaw and Carsley help guide and coach the players, and we look where we went wrong. Not so much in terms of how we conceded or missed our chances, but how we were 2nd best at times all over the pitch.

We need Fleck back asap, as McSheffrey just isn't in the same league as him

thechase

It's not really acceptable to draw at Yeovil, that said we didn't lose.

Yes I know its going to be tough going to these grounds and we shouldn't expect an easy time, we be should be expecting ( or let me re-phrase that , we should be INSISTING ) on a win. If Cody had taken some of those chances then we would have won. That was the difference this time.

What's important now is the likes of Shaw and Carsley help guide and coach the players, and we look where we went wrong. Not so much in terms of how we conceded or missed our chances, but how we were 2nd best at times all over the pitch.

We need Fleck back asap, as McSheffrey just isn't in the same league as him

Sorry i disagree. Your attitude seems to be we are a massive club and should win every game. As with many posters on here it smacks of arrogance and ignorance.

Diehard Si

Sorry i disagree. Your attitude seems to be we are a massive club and should win every game. As with many posters on here it smacks of arrogance and ignorance.
Oh ok, le'ts all just aim for mid table obscurity then shall we? Lets accept not giving 100% and not going for a win.

No, if you don't aim to succeed you will fail in life as well as in football.

We need the attitude to go out and get promotion, otherwise why bother? I said it was going to be tough, but because something is hard you would rather we give in and accept it? That kind of pathetic attitude from fans/players/staff stop us ever getting anywhere.

Last edited:
Is this thread acceptable? It was our first game give atleast 10 games before you give a judgement!

WillieStanley

I'm not sure where people are coming from with all this "not acceptable, draw at Yeovil" business. Every point means something. If you were expecting us to batter them with a practically new squad and a new coaching set up, that's your problem, not Andy Thorn. We are in this league, and it won't be easy to get out of it. It wasn't easy for any other clubs similar in size to us. The badge on our chests will not get us goals or keep clean sheets. The sooner we swallow our pride and start becoming more patient the better. A draw away from home at any level against any opposition can only be a positive.

sylus

I'm not sure where people are coming from with all this "not acceptable, draw at Yeovil" business. Every point means something. If you were expecting us to batter them with a practically new squad and a new coaching set up, that's your problem, not Andy Thorn. We are in this league, and it won't be easy to get out of it. It wasn't easy for any other clubs similar in size to us. The badge on our chests will not get us goals or keep clean sheets. The sooner we swallow our pride and start becoming more patient the better. A draw away from home at any level against any opposition can only be a positive.

the differants between a win and a draw was the differance between man utd winning the prem last season instead of man city,but had man city only drew and handed the title to there rivals,i guess they could take the positives out the game,that they didnt lose.see what im sayin

Macca

Oh ok, le'ts all just aim for mid table obscurity then shall we? Lets accept not giving 100% and not going for a win.

We need the attitude to go out and get promotion, otherwise why bother? I said it was going to be tough, but because something is hard you would rather we give in and accept it? That kind of pathetic attitude from fans/players/staff stop us ever getting anywhere.

Aiming high is fine. But not even the champions will win every game. Whining because we didn't win the first game of the season can sound just a little sulky

Sky_Blue_Ste

After seeing the going over that Yeovil gave Colchester, I too was a tad worried that we'd come away with nothing

I think the attitude of people would be very different if we'd nicked a win with one of the many chances we had

We are still unbeaten but need to play better - but hardly surprising given how we played last year & that the only players that played well consistently last year are now gone that we didn't play well!

WillieStanley

the differants between a win and a draw was the differance between man utd winning the prem last season instead of man city,but had man city only drew and handed the title to there rivals,i guess they could take the positives out the game,that they didnt lose.see what im sayin

I do, but that is the business end. Why don't we focus on the fact this was the first league match of a brand new campaign in a brand new league. We didn't win, but we are unbeaten in two competetive matches. We don't know how Yeovil are going to fair this season although it seems they have put together a competetive squad themselves.

It feels a lot like it did last year, where people were just waiting for a result like this in order gleefully justify their already formed opinion that Thorn isn't the man for the job.

People need perspective, and, as I said, patience. There are so many variables at this stage, it's no good calling for blood.

Sky_Blue_Ste

I do, but that is the business end. Why don't we focus on the fact this was the first league match of a brand new campaign in a brand new league. We didn't win, but we are unbeaten in two competetive matches. We don't know how Yeovil are going to fair this season although it seems they have put together a competetive squad themselves.

It feels a lot like it did last year, where people were just waiting for a result like this in order gleefully justify their already formed opinion that Thorn isn't the man for the job.

People need perspective, and, as I said, patience. There are so many variables at this stage, it's no good calling for blood.

I remember a few years ago when we beat Norwich early doors & it looked a fab result at the time as they'd just come down from the Prem & were amongst the early favs to go up. Oh, how we celebrated - they went on to get relegated that year & most teams beat them! Too early to tell who's good & who's bad - come Feb, this could be a great result!

Mucca Mad Boys

Being content with an away draw first game of the season isn't showing a lack of desire to succeed, realistically, we're not going to win every game and a draw every now and then isn't the end of the world! The very best teams drop points! Man U, Spain at 2010 WC + Euros, Man C last season!

A @Yeovil isn't too bad, we created the better chances and apparently should've had a penalty.

Diehard Si

Being content with an away draw first game of the season isn't showing a lack of desire to succeed, realistically, we're not going to win every game and a draw every now and then isn't the end of the world! The very best teams drop points! Man U, Spain at 2010 WC + Euros, Man C last season!

A @Yeovil isn't too bad, we created the better chances and apparently should've had a penalty.

True. But do they accept it or do they look at went wrong to improve on it? To learn from it.

I've said in other posts I see us starting slowly. I think it will take time to adapt to the league and to the winning mentality. I'm not overly concerned about it. The result wasn't acceptable, but that doesn't mean we have to panic. As you said it's the first game of the season, they are still gelling and it's a tough league. But we need to be using this a benchmark to build on and something we can look back on and say we've learnt from it. When we look back, a draw at Yeovil will I hope be considered a bad result for the season ( unless something really has gone wrong ).

I don't think people should be getting on Thorn's back over it, we should be chalking this off as unacceptable performance, but lets give them time to sort it out. Starting Tuesday ( although I fear we might lose that one ).

Last edited:

thechase

True. But do they accept it or do they look at went wrong to improve on it? To learn from it.

I've said in other posts I see us starting slowly. I think it will take time to adapt to the league and to the winning mentality. I'm not overly concerned about it. The result wasn't acceptable, but that doesn't mean we have to panic. As you said it's the first game of the season, they are still gelling and it's a tough league. But we need to be using this a benchmark to build on and something we can look back on and say we've learnt from it. When we look back, a draw at Yeovil will I hope be considered a bad result for the season ( unless something really has gone wrong ).

I don't think people should be getting on Thorn's back over it, we should be chalking this off as unacceptable performance, but lets give them time to sort it out. Starting Tuesday ( although I fear we might lose that one ).

My attitude isnt a defeatist one its realistic. Your original post was one that came across as highly arrogant and dismissive of Yeovil. We created a number of chances and got a point away i dont see how that can be described as an unacceptable performance. Too many deluded fans will not help City with the weight of their expectations all season.

Nonleagueherewecome

Maybe it was a poor performance, but we still created plenty of chances to win it, and as a result it isn't bad.

Lets put it this way: if Only Yeovil (to give them what I now understand to be their full title..)go on to finish in the playoffs, would people then call this a good result, or still "unacceptable"? 'Cos that's exactly what they did last time Gary Johnson was their manager, and they deserved to go up that year, more than "Billy Big Bollocks" Forest did!

The sense of entitlement that some have exhibited is pretty astounding. I used to be slightly bitter about Fulham, Wigan, Swansea and Reading getting promoted to the Premiership before us, but they earned it-we never have. Are we a bigger club now than those teams who went from two or three divisions below us to now two above us? Why do we have a right to finish above anybody, just because we are Coventry City? Bradford came down from the top flight with us & get similar gates to us, look what happened to them...Barnsley were Premiership not that long ago, and we still look down on them even though we are now a division below!

We are going to get ourselves a reputation of being deluded whingers this season.

Mucca Mad Boys

No one said we weren't going to improve on the performance etc.

I agree with what 'thechase' said of your original post.

Maybe it was a poor performance, but we still created plenty of chances to win it, and as a result it isn't bad.

Lets put it this way: if Only Yeovil (to give them what I now understand to be their full title..)go on to finish in the playoffs, would people then call this a good result, or still "unacceptable"? 'Cos that's exactly what they did last time Gary Johnson was their manager, and they deserved to go up that year, more than "Billy Big Bollocks" Forest did!

The sense of entitlement that some have exhibited is pretty astounding. I used to be slightly bitter about Fulham, Wigan, Swansea and Reading getting promoted to the Premiership before us, but they earned it-we never have. Are we a bigger club now than those teams who went from two or three divisions below us to now two above us? Why do we have a right to finish above anybody, just because we are Coventry City? Bradford came down from the top flight with us & get similar gates to us, look what happened to them...Barnsley were Premiership not that long ago, and we still look down on them even though we are now a division below!

We are going to get ourselves a reputation of being deluded whingers this season.

Well said :claping hands:

As I see it, we are 'bigger' than most teams in the division based on heritage, BUT, that is the past and doesn't give us the divine right to run rule over these teams and the division because as of now, we are on par with the likes of Yeovil, Stevenage, Crawley, Carlisle and so on, who were in non-league when we were in the old D1/Premiership.

Diehard Si

My attitude isnt a defeatist one its realistic. Your original post was one that came across as highly arrogant and dismissive of Yeovil. We created a number of chances and got a point away i dont see how that can be described as an unacceptable performance. Too many deluded fans will not help City with the weight of their expectations all season.
It's unacceptable because we DIDN't WIN, or to be more precise didn't deserve to. Accepting this is the same resigned to defeatist attitude the club found itself in under AB. What's next we take 2 points from our next 2 home games as well?

We should be beating Yeovil and for that matter Nuneaton and Dagenham and Wrexham. We have more quality and quantity of players than them. How many of their players would you take into our 1st team? On the day however they performed as a team much better than us, which is a great credit to them, but at the same time a big black mark against our name. We under-performed. Can anyone dispute that?

So we played a team, underperformed and didn't pick up maximum results.

Mucca Mad Boys

It's unacceptable because we DIDN't WIN, or to be more precise didn't deserve to. Accepting this is the same resigned to defeatist attitude the club found itself in under AB. What's next we take 2 points from our next 2 home games as well?

We should be beating Yeovil and for that matter Nuneaton and Dagenham and Wrexham. We have more quality and quantity of players than them. How many of their players would you take into our 1st team? On the day however they performed as a team much better than us, which is a great credit to them, but at the same time a big black mark against our name. We under-performed. Can anyone dispute that?

So we played a team, underperformed and didn't pick up maximum results.

Chelsea, Man C all lost to lower opposition in pre-season, less than Wrexham + Nuneaton and they weren't calling for Mancini or RDM, why? because P-s is about fitness.

Also, Nuneaton we played one 1st teamer, Deegan, and he's at Hibs...

Users who are viewing this thread