Is the United Kingdom a country? (1 Viewer)

Dog

I haven’t even got a clue if you two are agreeing or disagreeing
Was always going to be difficult as soon as politics came into it. Has always and always will be the same.

And a lot of people don't know that the head of the British government is the Queen. But I don't ever think she has gone against anything put forward to her.

What was the original question again? 🤔

shmmeee

The U.K. is a country. If you mean a country is something that passes the tests for statehood. It’s as much a country as Germany or the Netherlands or the US. It doesn’t have to answer to anyone else like the EU does.

England/Scotland/Wales are countries if you mean the broader definition of country, but they cannot make laws on their own as they are subordinate to the U.K. so don’t pass the tests for statehood. They’re closer to the States in the US, except England doesn’t even have a government so in many ways is less of a country than say Texas.

The problem is the definition of the word country, dictionary says:

2FB4D730-0D21-467F-90E4-45EA8043E1B2.jpeg

No government: not a country. So England fails that definition.

The EU is nothing like the U.K. because the EU can’t pass laws, it can only request that it’s members do so, it’s more a collection of trade deals and treaties. Like the WTO.

Dog

The U.K. is a country. If you mean a country is something that passes the tests for statehood. It’s as much a country as Germany or the Netherlands or the US. It doesn’t have to answer to anyone else like the EU does.

England/Scotland/Wales are countries if you mean the broader definition of country, but they cannot make laws on their own as they are subordinate to the U.K. so don’t pass the tests for statehood. They’re closer to the States in the US, except England doesn’t even have a government so in many ways is less of a country than say Texas.

The problem is the definition of the word country, dictionary says:

View attachment 21544

No government: not a country. So England fails that definition.

The EU is nothing like the U.K. because the EU can’t pass laws, it can only request that it’s members do so, it’s more a collection of trade deals and treaties. Like the WTO.
Are you saying England isn't a country?

Dog

Still playing the victim then.
Should have remained a lurker on here. It has been funny watching everyone pull each other apart for years. But it seems that Grendel makes comments nobody believes until they have a reason to want to believe. Most new posters are given a hard time by some.

Will leave you to your fantasies.

Ian1779

Should have remained a lurker on here. It has been funny watching everyone pull each other apart for years. But it seems that Grendel makes comments nobody believes until they have a reason to want to believe. Most new posters are given a hard time by some.

Astute observation of you.

Sick Boy

You should have just logged back in with your original account rather than making up weird fantasises of your own.

Dog

You should have just logged back in with your original account rather than making up weird fantasises of your own.
And I wondered why no new members stuck around.

Grendel, who I can't work out if is just lonely or a sad individual who spends his whole life on here winding people up puts a list of others to aim at. Then the sheep follow.

Sad really.

Oh well. Will I see you at QPR or are you only here to wind people up?

Dog

No reply but just an emoji? You going to QPR? Will make it a one off and show you who I am. Travelling down from Coventry on Friday night. Staying with family. Travelling back Sunday.

Or are you just on here for the wind up?

Sick Boy

No reply but just an emoji? You going to QPR? Will make it a one off and show you who I am. Travelling down from Coventry on Friday night. Staying with family. Travelling back Sunday.

Or are you just on here for the wind up?
I’m not really into meeting up with men hiding behind fake accounts on the internet, thanks though.

Dog

And there you go. Just a wind up.

And while we are at it is the avatar you use supposed to be yourself? You say you are over here from Italy but are not going to games? Yet you spend hours each day on here.

Sick Boy

And there you go. Just a wind up.

And while we are at it is the avatar you use supposed to be yourself? You say you are over here from Italy but are not going to games? Yet you spend hours each day on here.
Weird you’d know so much about me as a new forum member. Unfortunately I am only until the early hours or Saturday morning.
Yeah I see myself as ‘The Dude’.

Dog

Weird you’d know so much about me as a new forum member. Unfortunately I am only until the early hours or Saturday morning.
Yeah I see myself as ‘The Dude’.
You put the information up about yourself. Click on your name and you say you live in Verona. You said you have come over.

So is the avatar you use supposed to be yourself?

shmmeee

Are you saying England isn't a country?

Depends on your definition. By the dictionary, no it isn’t because it doesn’t have its own govenrment. But colloquially of course it is. England can’t make trade deals like Scotland can’t or Texas can’t. It’s not independent. It follows U.K. law.

The problem is country can mean as little as “region” or as much as “independent state”. It’s not a well defined word.

But England is to the U.K. as Holland is to the Netherlands, not as the Netherlands is to the EU.

Dog

Depends on your definition. By the dictionary, no it isn’t because it doesn’t have its own govenrment. But colloquially of course it is. England can’t make trade deals like Scotland can’t or Texas can’t. It’s not independent. It follows U.K. law.

The problem is country can mean as little as “region” or as much as “independent state”. It’s not a well defined word.

But England is to the U.K. as Holland is to the Netherlands, not as the Netherlands is to the EU.
Just the same as the UK is only a country by definition but isn't really a country.

Quite funny really as Scotland has a government and Wales has a government so by definition are more of a country than England is. But the UK government sits in England.

If I ask you what country you come from what would your reply be?

Dog

Is your profile picture you?
I'm not saying anything about being Lassie. Of Jeff Lassie even.

I know how weird this place gets. Hardly miss a game home or away. Don't want to be noticed by some people on here. But I am not going around the houses trying not to answer a straight question.

Dog

tbf, it's got a lot weirder recently.
I agree. Some people seem more interested in fake profiles than the excellent start we have had.

And a longstanding fake profile accusing others of having a fake profile. You couldn't make it up.

Dog

How can you agree if you are new here?
Longtime lurker. Been tempted for ages.

Best place to find out the information I needed quickly. Many minds are better than one. The idea of the Internet is to use it to the max. But many people would be shocked at what you can find out if you look and would think twice about everything they do.

A simple way of looking at it. How many times have you been surprised by even Facebook? Everything you do can be followed. Everything you do can be checked.

Users who are viewing this thread