Is the United Kingdom a country? (1 Viewer)

robbiekeane

Is this a really dumb question?

Wiki definition of the United Kingdom

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain is a sovereign country in north-western Europe, off the north-western coast of the European mainland.

Wiki definition of England

Englandis a country that is part of the United Kingdom.It shares land borders with Wales to its west and Scotland to its north.

I have trouble explaining this to my American friends. Are they both countries?

SBT

It's a union of 4 countries.

The United Kingdom is not a country

The UK has its own government, its own armed forces, its own diplomatic treaties with other countries, sits on the UN Security Council....it absolutely is a country.

Tea & Busquets

Is this a really dumb question?

Wiki definition of the United Kingdom

Wiki definition of England

I have trouble explaining this to my American friends. Are they both countries?
The easiest explanation would be that it’s a country that’s comprised of other countries.

Evo1883

The UK has its own government, its own armed forces, its own diplomatic treaties with other countries, sits on the UN Security Council....it absolutely is a country.

Hmm, a political union maybe so .

But it's 4 individual countries.. not 1 or are we classing the UK as 5 countries in total including the collective 🤣

SBT

Hmm, a political union maybe so .

But it's 4 individual countries.. not 1 or are we classing the UK as 5 countries in total including the collective 🤣

They are countries within a country - that country being the UK

I'm sure you could even argue that England, Scotland and Wales aren't countries, but then we're getting into some real nerdy/stoner stuff

Evo1883

They are countries within a country - that country being the UK

I'm sure you could even argue that England, Scotland and Wales aren't countries, but then we're getting into some real nerdy/stoner stuff

I just don't think this is correct ..

Best described as a nation maybe ...but it's certainly not a country

SBT

I just don't think this is correct ..

Best described as a nation maybe ...but it's certainly not a country

I think it's better expressed the other way round - England, Scotland, Wales etc are clearly all nations, with their own cultures, languages, currencies etc. But they're not nation-states - England doesn't have its own government, Wales doesn't have its own army etc....I think when we talk about "countries", it's nation-states that we're really talking about.

Evo1883

I think it's better expressed the other way round - England, Scotland, Wales etc are clearly all nations, with their own cultures, languages, currencies etc. But they're not nation-states - England doesn't have its own government, Wales doesn't have its own army etc....I think when we talk about "countries", it's nation-states that we're really talking about.

Just ........

Yea , OK yea 🤣

giphy.gif

Liquid Gold

As confusing as it is it's a country made up of countries.

England, Scotland & Wales are countries in their own right and the province of Northern Ireland together make up the UK which is itself a country.

Dog

The UK isn't a country. It is a sovereign state where the countries are separate but joined together in a union. Very similar but much smaller than the EU. Great Britain is the main landmass without Northern Ireland included.

shmmeee

The UK isn't a country. It is a sovereign state where the countries are separate but joined together in a union. Very similar but much smaller than the EU. Great Britain is the main landmass without Northern Ireland included.

Country doesn’t have an agreed movement. It’s just a defined bit of land basically.

The EU isn’t a sovereign state, it needs member states to agree so it’s not sovereign. It’s a political union. There’s no single government or population like the U.K.

England doesn’t have a government. England can’t enter trade deals or sign treaties like the U.K. can. It’s not sovereign.

rob9872

What about all the British Isles (even if Simon Moore is an IoW international), if the UK isn't a country then are all the Isles independent countries too?

Dog

Country doesn’t have an agreed movement. It’s just a defined bit of land basically.

The EU isn’t a sovereign state, it needs member states to agree so it’s not sovereign. It’s a political union. There’s no single government or population like the U.K.

England doesn’t have a government. England can’t enter trade deals or sign treaties like the U.K. can. It’s not sovereign.
I never meant that the EU is a sovereign state. What I meant was it is a union of countries. The clue is in the name. European Union.

All the countries of the EU follow similar rules just like the countries of the UK do.

The EU is governed by their own system. The countries in the EU are also independently governed. The UK are governed as one but there are also separate governments. The head of the UK government is the reigning monarch. That is why we are a sovereign state.

Dog

What about all the British Isles (even if Simon Moore is an IoW international), if the UK isn't a country then are all the Isles independent countries too?
IIRC the British Isles consists of Great Britain, Ireland and all islands in close proximity.

rob9872

IIRC the British Isles consists of Great Britain, Ireland and all islands in close proximity.
It does, agreed, but I meant if we're splitting up th Isles for the purpose of separate countries, then each can claim their own right. If I recall, Isle of Man has some of its own laws and also Cornwall also see themselves as independent, but I'm sure that's more like the Catalans or Bavaria type and wheee does it end? It makes economic sense to remain united as so many costs would be duplicated and each would need it'd own laws, security, money, armed horses etc etc

rob9872

Religion and politics are the two subjects to keep away from in more than Ireland.
Yep throw in women and money as subjects to avoid along with politics and religion and I reckon we'd all get along famously!

• Haha
Reactions: Dog

Dog

It does, agreed, but I meant if we're splitting up th Isles for the purpose of separate countries, then each can claim their own right. If I recall, Isle of Man has some of its own laws and also Cornwall also see themselves as independent, but I'm sure that's more like the Catalans or Bavaria type and wheee does it end? It makes economic sense to remain united as so many costs would be duplicated and each would need it'd own laws, security, money, armed horses etc etc
It is more of a way of explaining the separate land mass than anything else. But it can be used to cause arguments more than anything else. Just like those who say anything above Watford Gap is up north.

Dog

Yep throw in women and money as subjects to avoid along with politics and religion and I reckon we'd all get along famously!
If it wasn't for women I would be rich and happy. I could stay in the pub all day. I would never miss a game we play. I would even be allowed to think for myself.

rob9872

If it wasn't for women I would be rich and happy. I could stay in the pub all day. I would never miss a game we play. I would even be allowed to think for myself.
Nah you wouldn't, be that bloke in the pub people avoid reminiscing about the woman you used to have and spending your hard earned on hookers and Charlie

• Haha
Reactions: Dog

shmmeee

I never meant that the EU is a sovereign state. What I meant was it is a union of countries. The clue is in the name. European Union.

All the countries of the EU follow similar rules just like the countries of the UK do.

The EU is governed by their own system. The countries in the EU are also independently governed. The UK are governed as one but there are also separate governments. The head of the UK government is the reigning monarch. That is why we are a sovereign state.

There aren’t separate govts, there’s no English govt and Scot/Wales/NI can’t make their own trade deals or sign their own treaties, they aren’t sovereign any more than Coventry is because of CCC.

The U.K. is a sovereign state like France or the US or China, the EU isn’t. It’s closer to the UN or NATO or other supranational bodies. The EU has no power over member states like the U.K. does over E/S/W/etc. Two totally different beasts. Rules made by the EU have to be passed by member state governments to become law.

The U.K. is a state like other countries because it passes the four tests, the EU doesn’t and neither do the countries in the U.K.

Dog

There aren’t separate govts, there’s no English govt and Scot/Wales/NI can’t make their own trade deals or sign their own treaties, they aren’t sovereign any more than Coventry is because of CCC.

The U.K. is a sovereign state like France or the US or China, the EU isn’t. It’s closer to the UN or NATO or other supranational bodies. The EU has no power over member states like the U.K. does over E/S/W/etc. Two totally different beasts. Rules made by the EU have to be passed by member state governments to become law.

The U.K. is a state like other countries because it passes the four tests, the EU doesn’t and neither do the countries in the U.K.
The UK is a sovereign state as the Head of the UK government is the reigning monarch like I said earlier. That is why our PM needs permission off the Queen.

And again I said we are similar to the EU as we are a union of countries. Nothing else.

I haven't said that England has its own government. But you keep bringing it up. The Welsh have a government. The Scottish have their own government. Northern Ireland is governed by the Northern Ireland assembly. Their situation is much more complex because of the troubles.

COV

The UK is a sovereign state as the Head of the UK government is the reigning monarch like I said earlier. That is why our PM needs permission off the Queen.

And again I said we are similar to the EU as we are a union of countries. Nothing else.

I haven't said that England has its own government. But you keep bringing it up. The Welsh have a government. The Scottish have their own government. Northern Ireland is governed by the Northern Ireland assembly. Their situation is much more complex because of the troubles.

I haven’t even got a clue if you two are agreeing or disagreeing

Users who are viewing this thread