Is the United Kingdom a country? (1 Viewer)

Dog

I have trouble believing that anyone lurking here for any period of time would ever be tempted to sign up, if anything people with accounts would have a rapidly growing sense of regret.
Absolutely.

The problem is we have done better than our wildest dreams the last few years. At one stage dropping out of the FL was a reality. But somehow we made the playoffs. The rest is history. Then you feel like you want to be a part of it. But when you try to join in you wish you hadn't bothered.

But never mind. I joined with my eyes fully open. No politics. No religion. And from now no simple questions to be answered.

Only football from now and everything else will be ignored.

robbiekeane

Oh can we fuck off arguing about fake profiles and work on solving this VERY IMPORTANT question 😂

So @shmmeee - basically it’s a bit of a weird one. Dictionary definition is not very clear for country, technically going by the book England wouldn’t be one in itself but the UK would.

Side note - I honestly thought “Netherlands” was just what the Dutch called “Holland”

shmmeee

Oh can we fuck off arguing about fake profiles and work on solving this VERY IMPORTANT question 😂

So @shmmeee - basically it’s a bit of a weird one. Dictionary definition is not very clear for country, technically going by the book England wouldn’t be one in itself but the UK would.

Side note - I honestly thought “Netherlands” was just what the Dutch called “Holland”

I am not Dutch, but my understanding is Holland is a province in the Netherlands. Amsterdam is in Holland for example.

From what I’m reading there’s no clear definition of country no, but most seem to want an independent government and England doesn’t have one sooo 🤷

Evo1883

How has this thread descended into carnage 🤣

Could put a pic of a white painted wall up and it would end in tears .....brilliant lol

fernandopartridge

The UK is a sovereign state as the Head of the UK government is the reigning monarch like I said earlier. That is why our PM needs permission off the Queen.

And again I said we are similar to the EU as we are a union of countries. Nothing else.

I haven't said that England has its own government. But you keep bringing it up. The Welsh have a government. The Scottish have their own government. Northern Ireland is governed by the Northern Ireland assembly. Their situation is much more complex because of the troubles.
The Queen is not the head of the government

ajsccfc

I was always under the impression that only foreigners called it Holland and you're actually insulting the natives by not using the proper name, but then most Dutch people seem to do it too. Couldn't give a shit, the Dutch. Good bunch of lads

Evo1883

I was always under the impression that only foreigners called it Holland and you're actually insulting the natives by not using the proper name, but then most Dutch people seem to do it too. Couldn't give a shit, the Dutch. Good bunch of lads
Oh god yesh, absholutely shuperb

Skybluefaz

Longtime lurker. Been tempted for ages.

Best place to find out the information I needed quickly. Many minds are better than one. The idea of the Internet is to use it to the max. But many people would be shocked at what you can find out if you look and would think twice about everything they do.

A simple way of looking at it. How many times have you been surprised by even Facebook? Everything you do can be followed. Everything you do can be checked.
I works with the internets. I'm aware. How is the weather up in Cumbria?

shmmeee

Its more and more common for Dutch ppl to call it Holland apparently but there’s a contingent of sticklers who refuse to budge to their newfangled ways. A bit like me insisting it’s called the Union Flag I guess.

Grendel

Longtime lurker. Been tempted for ages.

Best place to find out the information I needed quickly. Many minds are better than one. The idea of the Internet is to use it to the max. But many people would be shocked at what you can find out if you look and would think twice about everything they do.

A simple way of looking at it. How many times have you been surprised by even Facebook? Everything you do can be followed. Everything you do can be checked.

giphy.gif

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

There aren’t separate govts, there’s no English govt and Scot/Wales/NI can’t make their own trade deals or sign their own treaties, they aren’t sovereign any more than Coventry is because of CCC.

The U.K. is a sovereign state like France or the US or China, the EU isn’t. It’s closer to the UN or NATO or other supranational bodies. The EU has no power over member states like the U.K. does over E/S/W/etc. Two totally different beasts. Rules made by the EU have to be passed by member state governments to become law.

The U.K. is a state like other countries because it passes the four tests, the EU doesn’t and neither do the countries in the U.K.

You are wasted on here mate.

wingy

Is not the UK like the construction of the USA?
A Series of federal states governed by the Federal govt (British Parliament.

Users who are viewing this thread