Is the playoff dream over? (1 Viewer)

shoesmith81

What do you guys think?

Will we make the top 6? I personally think we will finish between 8th and 10th. This season has been a learning curve that will stand the boys in good stead for next season.

Thoughts?

blueflint

nearly over so not going to party yet :blue::blue::blue::blue::blue:

RoboCCFC90

It's not over but promotion is more in hope now than expectation...

Otis

I would say the autos are probably out of reach.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Tonylinc

The autos are certainly out now. The play offs are probably out of reach so I predict a 10th place finish.

Sent from my lappy using my fingers (sorry Otis.....just couldn't resist it)

dadgad

ITS OVER. 'Twas over when Goaldick left and confirmed when MR walked.
We're going through the motions now....its what ccfc do every year between March and May, haven't you noticed????

SkyblueDave89

We are not ready to go back to the Championship untill we sort out our off-field problems I think the squad is good enough to get us out of L1 but we will have to strengthen but won't be able to compete with the rest of the clubs in the Championship very hard to say & really don't want to be in L1 but life's hard & we have to accept it... Gutted for every fan we do deserve better but unless we sort out our problems in the boardroom can see us becoming a regular L1 side

Otis

I don't think the squad is good enough to get us out of League One myself. I really don't.

Think this division is all about strength and pace. We lack both. Two many lightweight players and not enough pace and therefore forever caught on the break.

Fleck and Barton are lost in this physical league, our midfield is too diddy and our central defenders are very poor.

If we are still in League One next season I would be inclined to get rid of Wood and Edge and maybe Cameron too, as well as Macca and probably Fleck and Barton.

We need to build a team around Murphy Christie/Clarke, Adams, Mouss and Leon Clarke.

The rest are all replaceable.

stupot07

I don't think the squad is good enough to get us out of League One myself. I really don't.

Think this division is all about strength and pace. We lack both. Two many lightweight players and not enough pace and therefore forever caught on the break.

Fleck and Barton are lost in this physical league, our midfield is too diddy and our central defenders are very poor.

If we are still in League One next season I would be inclined to get rid of Wood and Edge and maybe Cameron too, as well as Macca and probably Fleck and Barton.

We need to build a team around Murphy Christie/Clarke, Adams, Mouss and Leon Clarke.

Yep, totally agree with that.

Nonleagueherewecome

I think the playoffs has gone. Where we finish depends on whether we get an inspiring manager in or not. If we do, 8th, if we don't 12th. Which is where I thought we'd be pre-season. Not much different to Sheff W, Preston, Forest, Charlton and Southampton's first season after relegation.

ccfcway

Wood and McSheff will be the 1st two to go in the summer..Both out of contract and both on big wages

Otis

I think the playoffs has gone. Where we finish depends on whether we get an inspiring manager in or not. If we do, 8th, if we don't 12th. Which is where I thought we'd be pre-season. Not much different to Sheff W, Preston, Forest, Charlton and Southampton's first season after relegation.

Maths isn't my strong point, but isn't 12th only 2 places off 14th?

You must have got an awful lot of shit off CC4L surely didn't you? :confused:

Mucca Mad Boys

If we don't go into admin, it is more than possible, still so much to play for still. So many 'defeatists' around here.

If we go into admin, then it's a definite.

Mucca Mad Boys

I disagree, quite a lot with that, I think we need to strengthen in some areas, CB (as I've said for a while) and we definitely need to some wingers to add a dimension to the attack, sort this out, we could win the league next season, we've proved we have a good midfield throughout this season, our only problem has been is the defence - which has been poor all season - we've got a proven goal scorer, a quality L1 GK and one of the best midfields in the league.

I think it's an insult to say this league is 'all about strength and pace' - it isn't, Norwich, Southampton, Leicester and Charlton from the past have proved this and Swindon, Donny (kind of), Bournemouth and MK Dons, have proved this, MK haven't been great this season but they have proved in past their 'Barca-esque' system works. Preston have proved against your idea as well, they have performed poorly, despite being the most physical and pacey teams in the league.

Barton is proven at L1 and the Championship, he and Fleck have shown they're worth keeping beyond this season, I think if either or both got a good run-in they'd prove they are good enough, furthermore, I highly doubt we'll get rid of either anyway - they are contracted until 2015 and we won't release them. I do hope we can get rid of Bell, McSheff and Wood though - high earners who don't deserve what we pay them, there're others, who need to go, Edj, Malaga, Elliott, McDonald and controversially, Baker, he's a high earner as well.

For next season though, I'd look to involve some of the youth players we have; Thomas*, Lobjoit, Willis and Garner in particular and maybe; Daniels, Wilson (if he's kept on) although I don't see much in either of those 2. * who should be starting now!

Hopefully the new manager can launch a new offensive on the playoffs, if that fails, prepares us for a title offensive.

stupot07

Do you actually know anything about those sides or are you just hypothesising?

You say Southampton had no strength or pace.....except for lallana, Oxlade chamberlain, puncheon and 3 big strong and mobile strikers - lambert, Prado and Bernard, and didnt they also have dean Hammond in midfield? Plus a couple of big centrebacks.

The others also had pace, power and strength.

Last edited:

Otis

I disagree, quite a lot with that, I think we need to strengthen in some areas, CB (as I've said for a while) and we definitely need to some wingers to add a dimension to the attack, sort this out, we could win the league next season, we've proved we have a good midfield throughout this season, our only problem has been is the defence - which has been poor all season - we've got a proven goal scorer, a quality L1 GK and one of the best midfields in the league.

I think it's an insult to say this league is 'all about strength and pace' - it isn't, Norwich, Southampton, Leicester and Charlton from the past have proved this and Swindon, Donny (kind of), Bournemouth and MK Dons, have proved this, MK haven't been great this season but they have proved in past their 'Barca-esque' system works. Preston have proved against your idea as well, they have performed poorly, despite being the most physical and pacey teams in the league.

Barton is proven at L1 and the Championship, he and Fleck have shown they're worth keeping beyond this season, I think if either or both got a good run-in they'd prove they are good enough, furthermore, I highly doubt we'll get rid of either anyway - they are contracted until 2015 and we won't release them. I do hope we can get rid of Bell, McSheff and Wood though - high earners who don't deserve what we pay them, there're others, who need to go, Edj, Malaga, Elliott, McDonald and controversially, Baker, he's a high earner as well.

For next season though, I'd look to involve some of the youth players we have; Thomas*, Lobjoit, Willis and Garner in particular and maybe; Daniels, Wilson (if he's kept on) although I don't see much in either of those 2. * who should be starting now!

Hopefully the new manager can launch a new offensive on the playoffs, if that fails, prepares us for a title offensive.

I wasn't talking about the past. I was talking about now.

Of course there are going to be teams that buck the trend, but just about every team we have faced here at the Ricoh have been about strength and pace.

Can't see how anyone could argue with that.

And how is Barton proven at this level?

Speak to the Preston fans, who said he lacked stamina, faded badly from games and was no good in any physical matches.

Seems most Preston fans were happy to see the back of him.

Last edited:

Otis

Sort of good, but don't help us that much.

Doncaster are still 12 points ahead of us and Brentford 8 points with a game in hand.

MK Dons and Crawley are both 3 points behind but with 2 games in hand.

Mucca Mad Boys

I wasn't talking about the past. I was talking about now.

Of course there are going to be teams that buck the trend, but just about every team we have faced here at the Ricoh have been about strength and pace.

Can't see how anyone could argue with that.

And how is Barton proven at this level?

Speak to the Preston fans, who said he lacked stamina, faded badly from games and was no good in any physical matches.

Seems most Preston fans were happy to see the back of him.

I gave examples of past and present, CCFC do not need to conform, we have the players to play a good passing game, and we don't have the players to play hoofball, and there's no need for CCFC need to focus pace and strength as much as you say. We have a team that is good enough to get into the top 6 already.

Barton divided PNE and CCFC fans, some PNE fans didn't feel he benefitted playing without technical players etc. but nonetheless, he was being tracked by LFC and other prem teams before his he broke his leg, the lad has ability, he and Fleck have impressed McGoldrick and they have shown glimpses of class when we have seen them, they simply haven't been given a chance to shine, largely because in November and December, the same XI did the business, now they are not, so I think a few of them need to be given a chance. I think a 4-3-3 would suit them and our whole team in general. Maybe. Barton was also one of PNE's best players in the Championship also.

The best team to come the RICOH this season is MK Dons, then Swindon then Notts County; only one of them play hoofball, with a heavy influence on strength and pace (every player was fast, 'hench') Notts County. Swindon and MK Dons however, approached the game with technicality, Swindon moved the ball around quickly and were a good side, MK Dons should've won and they set the benchmark how teams should approach football in this division.

I think we most certainly have the players to play some good football, along the floor like we demonstrated v MK Dons (A) we were fantastic that day and only the defence let us down that day.

Mucca Mad Boys

Do you actually know anything about those sides or are you just hypothesising?

You say Southampton had no strength or pace.....except for lallana, Oxlade chamberlain, puncheon and 3 big strong and mobile strikers - lambert, Prado and Bernard, and didnt they also have dean Hammond in midfield? Plus a couple of big centrebacks.

The others also had pace, power and strength.

No, I have seen these teams and I think they are technical teams. I could've put Brentford on the 'technical' teams in the league based on what my mate has said, but I haven't seen them play so won't pass judgement.

I never said Southampton had no 'pace and strength' I said they weren't all about strength and pace, which they weren't, Ox has bags of technicality and was more than a 'speedy gonzalos' back then, as for Lallana, he isn't that fast, very technical and Southampton had a very good balance in their team that year, they 'hard men' and technical players, they had that French #4 (cant spell his name) who is very good technically. Southampton were a technical side who weren't 'all strength and pace'.

stupot07

You are getting confused between having the strength and pace needed to be competitive in this league and playing 'hoofball'. They are not one and the same.

Nonleagueherewecome

I did Otis (and my prediction was actually 12th-14th)-but from what I recall not for that reason!

It's Not Over Just Yet.....

Where there's hope, there's life & until it's mathematically impossible for us to gain promotion ........then there's hope.
One thing that did come to mind - should we go into Administration, perhaps as a League 1 club, we would handle it better than if we were a Championship club? I mean we have more points this year than last through more wins. Admin in League 1 wouldn't necessarily mean relegation to League 2 as it would in a higher division. As the club sorts outs out the off field dilemmas the club itself is safer?

wolfie

This season is over. Roll on next season when the dream will be burning brightly........... For half a season anyway

Otis

Yep, hopefully there will be an improvement and we will only lose 29 points from winning positions instead of 31.

covcity4life

your tallking alot nowadays

went all quiet when your jpt gut feeling and our league run was going on though

pathetic.

Otis

I didn't come on here for about 2-3 days because I was working for 12-16 hours for 2 days in a row.

Nowt to do with the JPT.

covcity4life

haha course mate

admit it,your a typical "i love it when cov lose so i can moan" sort of fan

just like stupot.

Otis

Would have quite happily come on here to discuss things if I hadn't been so busy.

Trouble is, I was.

trueskyblue11

This makes me laugh. I started a post last week saying that I believed we would get into the playoffs and should we look at possible administration or liquidation and everyone said completely not and we we had every chance of getting promoted and shouldnt even consider admin or liquidation. Since then we have lost one game and everyone now seems to agree with what I was saying!

Users who are viewing this thread