Is The FA Cup Becoming a Millstone To Us? (1 Viewer)

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It’s time to put this ‘glory hunters’ bollocks to bed once and for all. Nobody supports Cov for glory! Football is an entertainment that costs money to attend with no guarantee of a pleasant experience. There will always be a range of commitment, from the fanatic who goes to every youth and reserve match, to those who go when they are in town, fancy it or for some other unusual match.

I’m a season ticket holder this year. Many years I have been, many years I haven’t. Didn’t go for whole seasons in the 80s for a variety of reasons and never set foot in Northampton. Yet I’ve been a fan since 1969 when I was 6 and been through thin and thinner.

I personally welcome every single person who buys a ticket and turns up. I value every single person who cares, whether they go or not.

It’s crazy that for the first time in my life I’ll be classed as a CCFC bandwagoner for an away game v a 3rd tier club in a less than half full stadium.

Yep I’m definitely back for the glory......

BackRoomRummermill

I am quite wound up so I will stop but I know there are many many people not interested in our next 2 games before the cup , they won’t even know who we are playing . They will have there day out in Milton Keynes and not really give a shite if we lose.

italiahorse

I am quite wound up so I will stop but I know there are many many people not interested in our next 2 games before the cup , they won’t even know who we are playing . They will have there day out in Milton Keynes and not really give a shite if we lose.
If they are there they will want us to win.
We are CCFC fans so if we loose we won't give a shite because we are used to it ?

Cov kid 55

The only milestone is the Jonny come lately fans that turn up ‘ especially for the cup on the off chance they get to to old Trafford or Annfield ‘ I could not give a shite about it , those same fans could not give two pence crap about CCFC that just want a day out. It messes it all up , if you want to support the team at least show a passing interest the rest of the season . It shames the City of Coventry and totally embarrassing
Whilst I understand your sentiments, it’s a bit harsh. A big pay day in the 5th round would help our club, and perhaps some of those children who attend will persuade their fathers to take them to league games - although I accept this doesn’t appear to have happened after the Checkatrade last year. We will find it hard, however, when we’re back in the Premier, to counter the opposing fans chants of ‘where were you when you were shit?’ But at least a good number of us will be able to look in the mirror and say ‘we were there’.

letsallsingtogether

Whilst I understand your sentiments, it’s a bit harsh. A big pay day in the 5th round would help our club, and perhaps some of those children who attend will persuade their fathers to take them to league games - although I accept this doesn’t appear to have happened after the Checkatrade last year. We will find it hard, however, when we’re back in the Premier, to counter the opposing fans chants of ‘where were you when you were shit?’ But at least a good number of us will be able to look in the mirror and say ‘we were there’.
Your right it didn't happen after the Checkatrade final but it might have helped if we hadn't had been religated.

mrtrench

Sure, we can see from the crowds that more turn up for a glamour tie. But so what? They pay their money and the club benefits. If we do well and they are entertained some may attend a few more games that they wouldn't otherwise have gone to. It's not a millstone, it's a good thing.

And as for setting oneself up as judge and jury, deciding their motives and they way they will react, well... Live and let live. You get to decide how you spend your life and they get to decide how to spend theirs.

wingy

Sure, we can see from the crowds that more turn up for a glamour tie. But so what? They pay their money and the club benefits. If we do well and they are entertained some may attend a few more games that they wouldn't otherwise have gone to. It's not a millstone, it's a good thing.

And as for setting oneself up as judge and jury, deciding their motives and they way they will react, well... Live and let live. You get to decide how you spend your life and they get to decide how to spend theirs.
Then it's down to luck too, going one of two ways re bedding in new players and getting injured back while league games are shifted.

letsallsingtogether

Yes and if I want to spend mine watching a shit football team I will;)

Brighton Sky Blue

Doubt that will happen in my lifetime, no exaggeration. Unless I have inherited Methuselah's genes.

Cov kid 55

Doubt that will happen in my lifetime, no exaggeration. Unless I have inherited Methuselah's genes.
You may well be right, but things do change, the team that play where you live is a good example. I went to the Withdean when City played there in the FA Cup (winning goal from McSheffry?) and there was a team and a club on their knees. I don’t know how old you are BSB, I’m 62, and I haven’t given up seeing City in the Premier League again. Hope you live to see it too!

Brighton Sky Blue

You may well be right, but things do change, the team that play where you live is a good example. I went to the Withdean when City played there in the FA Cup (winning goal from McSheffry?) and there was a team and a club on their knees. I don’t know how old you are BSB, I’m 62, and I haven’t given up seeing City in the Premier League again. Hope you live to see it too!

28 this year, old enough to catch the tail-end of the top flight. The difference with Brighton is that they were eventually owned by benevolent people who had the means to secure them their own ground. I don't see how that's going to happen even going into the long term here. Being written about in the papers as some plucky underdogs upsetting the Midlands galacticos of Stoke was pretty sobering. It may be a cliché but it's true, #SHFWF

Cov kid 55

28 this year, old enough to catch the tail-end of the top flight. The difference with Brighton is that they were eventually owned by benevolent people who had the means to secure them their own ground. I don't see how that's going to happen even going into the long term here. Being written about in the papers as some plucky underdogs upsetting the Midlands galacticos of Stoke was pretty sobering. It may be a cliché but it's true, #SHFWF
Probably me being very thick, but #SHFWF?

James Smith

Don't know about anyone else but I prefer us being in a winnable R4 tie than going out in Round 1 against non-league clubs. Yes we'll have some games to catch up on but a bit of excitement does us good.

I'm currently hoping that us having knocked out Premier League opposition in the last round the media will shut up about us getting knocked out by bloody Sutton.

Skyblueweeman

I don't think one decent result in the cup from the past few years can classify as a millstone around our neck. We've been sh!t in the cup the last few years!!!

One great result against Stoke and then the loss at the weekend doesn't mean that we're taking our eye off the ball. If we lose the next 5 leage games but beat MK Dons, you might have some credence but way too early to start with such talk.

Reactions: JWC

JWC

Having fallen out of the playoff places, the next 2 weeks could define our season in the context of whether we will be challenging for promotion.
We have Swindon at home next week, then the following week we play in the 4th round while most L2 teams have a league game.
If we don't beat Swindon we could be in the bottom half of the table by the end of Jan, albeit with a game in hand.

We lose one game and already people are looking for problems. We could win on Saturday and go back up the league. I'd say the inability to break down lower placed teams who park the bus is the real millstone around our neck, not one win against a premier league side and the excitement of a possible cup run.

Users who are viewing this thread