Is our current squad good enough for League 1 promotion? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Parfrey

Goalkeepers:Murphy Dunn Burge

Defenders: Camereon Christie Clarke Hussey Malaga Edjenguele Wood Phillips Willis Henderson

Midfielders: Baker Bell Deegan Fleck Kilbane Mcsheffrey Roberts Ruffles Thomas

Strikers: Mcdonald Ball Elliot Jeffers O'donovan Wilson Daniels Garnder

Ryan Parfrey

I still want a proven league 1 striker. Look at Norwich and Southampton they had Holt and Lambert! and we need a centre midfielder

RichieGunns

I still want a proven league 1 striker. Look at Norwich and Southampton they had Holt and Lambert! and we need a centre midfielder

I agree...Another striker with a proven record is a must. Goals must be going in regularly or we aint going anywhere.

Midfielder of Norwoods class would also tip the scales in the right direction. No more lazy gits like Clingon please!

But so far i think the backbone is forming. And maybe they might even have the dosh to add to the squad in the new year :)

Yorkshire SB

Not yet, but I think we're playing a 2-3 year strategy here, I think given a year getting to grips with this division and we will have a squad built for promotion

skybluegod

i dont think holt and lambert were proven at the time i think cody could be like them maybe not as good but like them at this level.

Ryan Parfrey

I just can't see who is going to control our midfield like Norwood did? Thomas is good but he's also young aswell and his form can dip. Deegan is only good as impact sub! I hope we sign Jennings and then i'd like to see us put a bid in for Beavon from Wycombe, he scored 20 goals lastyear in this league for a side who got relegated? can't be that bad..

stupot07

i dont think holt and lambert were proven at the time i think cody could be like them maybe not as good but like them at this level.

Lambert scored 29 league one goals for Bristol rovers the season before signing for Southampton. Holt scored 20 in league two before signing for Norwich.

Both signed for their clubs on the back of a good season.

skybluegod

Lambert scored 29 league one goals for Bristol rovers the season before signing for Southampton. Holt scored 20 in league two before signing for Norwich.

Both signed for their clubs on the back of a good season.
one season that's what im saying both of them weren't known before that. They took a gamble and it payed off a lot of other club have not been lucky enough to do that. and we dont have the money to guess like them.

stupot07

one season that's what im saying both of them weren't known before that. They took a gamble and it payed off a lot of other club have not been lucky enough to do that. and we dont have the money to guess like them.

Not really both had been scoring goals in league one and two over a 3 or 4 seasons - a bit like ALF. Not like us signing Cody on the back of one season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/12830/grant-holt?cc=5739

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/6427/richard-lambert?cc=5739

dongonzalos

Absolutely not, We have lost about 8/9 players and signed 5.
Our squad ran out of legs and steam last season. We have signed 5 kids up as professionals to make up the difference.
The kids are a complete lottery, but one thing is for sure it is not fair on them to expect them to be consistent for an entire season.

I think we have made sufficient signings to stay up now.

4 of our signings are either going to be average or really really good. I hope the latter.

If they play to what their potential suggests then we have an outside chance of sixth place. This would involve a lot of luck. i.e. people such as Cody been fit for 95% of the season, along with most of the senior pro's.

However I feel if we sign 2 more strikers and a creative midfielder then anything less than the play off would be a let down.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Our squad ran out of legs and steam last season. We have signed 5 kids up as professionals to make up the difference.
The kids are a complete lottery, but one thing is for sure it is not fair on them to expect them to be consistent for an entire season.

4 of our signings are either going to be average or really really good. I hope the latter.

If they play to what their potential suggests then we have an outside chance of sixth place. This would involve a lot of luck. i.e. people such as Cody been fit for 95% of the season, along with most of the senior pro's.

However I feel if we sign 2 more strikers and a creative midfielder then anything less than the play off would be a let down.

Now I know about Ball, make that one more striker and a creative midfielder

skybluegod

Not really both had been scoring goals in league one and two over a 3 or 4 seasons - a bit like ALF. Not like us signing Cody on the back of one season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/12830/grant-holt?cc=5739

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/6427/richard-lambert?cc=5739

southampton only signed lambert after one good season at bristol rovers the season before he only scored 14 goals in 42 games in the league.
Norwich only signed holt after one good season at shrewsbury he only scored 3 goals for forest in 22 apps for them.

skybluegod

4/5 of the players that left played no more than a few mins each last season

dongonzalos

4/5 of the players that left played no more than a few mins each last season

Sorry buddy, but out of the 8 I am talking about only Freddie played only a few minutes. I include the loanees as they were significant for the second part of the season.
I have included Freddie as he should have made a significant contribution

Keogh
Cranie
Platt
Bigi
Freddie
Clingan
Norwood
Nimely

WeWillBeBack

Talking of Lambert, has anyone actually seen his record for southampton?! 78 in 132 games:eek:

Now thats £1million worth spending!

skybluegod

Sorry buddy, but out of the 8 I am talking about only Freddie played only a few minutes. I include the loanees as they were significant for the second part of the season.
I have included Freddie as he should have made a significant contribution

Keogh
Cranie
Platt
Bigi
Freddie
Clingan
Norwood
Nimely

if you include the loan players then yes but clingan is no loss and nor is freddie

stupot07

southampton only signed lambert after one good season at bristol rovers the season before he only scored 14 goals in 42 games in the league.
Norwich only signed holt after one good season at shrewsbury he only scored 3 goals for forest in 22 apps for them.

Lambert scored 20+ goals in a season 2005/06, 2007/08, and 2008/09 before signing for them in 2009/10 season

Holt scored 18+ goals in a season 2004/05, 2005/05, 2006/07 and 2008/09 before signing for Norwich

To put this in to context the last ccfc player to score more tha. 18 goals in a season was Dion Dublin In 1997-1998.

Lambert and holt were not one season wonders.

wingy

To suggest that players were shite and not missed masks the fact that AT was 3 players down on top of all the other exits from last summers clearout It does not therefore mean that we should'nt replace them .Over two summers and during the season we have shipped 18 players .During that period we have signed currently 9,with a net introduction of 8 youth.Two more additions would leave a reliance on only 4 youth players to make a squad of around 28 .That is adequate and would back up TF's commitment to redress the balance ,so expect two more signings .

Cov City Daytrader 87

The current squad is no where near good enough to get promotion. However I will say that at the moment it has stopped the rot. A few more signings and maybe mid table.

wexfordskyblue

Facebook User
we can all talk about the players we have and are they good enough to get use promotion, but the question is, is our manager good enough to get use promotion?

Gaz

I feel that the squad is better in terms of allowing us to make different changes in games.
Something that we couldn't do at times last season when we needed to.

dongonzalos

To suggest that players were shite and not missed masks the fact that AT was 3 players down on top of all the other exits from last summers clearout It does not therefore mean that we should'nt replace them .Over two summers and during the season we have shipped 18 players .During that period we have signed currently 9,with a net introduction of 8 youth.Two more additions would leave a reliance on only 4 youth players to make a squad of around 28 .That is adequate and would back up TF's commitment to redress the balance ,so expect two more signings .

Well put that man

AFCCOVENTRY

Thorn did say he hoped when he was back from scotland that we would have a couple of strikers in.

Ball is in....

So who is the other one? Must be the franchise signing surely? :D

Astute

The current squad is no where near good enough to get promotion. However I will say that at the moment it has stopped the rot. A few more signings and maybe mid table.

Name the other teams that have stronger teams and squads than us then.

I have been considered to be a supporter of AT. If we fail this season he needs to go. If we are not near the top or at least challenging the top 6 by then he needs to be replaced.

Sutty

Thorn did say he hoped when he was back from scotland that we would have a couple of strikers in.

Ball is in....

So who is the other one? Must be the franchise signing surely? :D

My source tells me, and trust me he's a very good source, that our new striker is better than David Healy.

Diehard Si

We can debate all we want, we just don't know.

On paper and using this new 4-2-3-1 formation I get a little excited. The first choice of players, IF they live up to their billing will be better than the team that started last season in the championship. We can certainly beat a lot of teams and could be one of, if not arguably THE best team in the league if we all gel together, get a couple more in like Jennings and this striker and it's looking good. We should fear no-one.

BUT

There are other factors. First and foremost this club needs to learn to win, to get that winning mentality. No longer accept a draw at home as accepable, go away on a blustery winters evening to Stevenage and grind out 3 points with 10 men.

Secondly we need to see how Thorn does. The fickle city fans as usual are on his back very quickly, but he's never really stood a chance with the players ripped out of his squad. Anyone that's shown an ounce of talent SISU have sold or let leave for free by failing to secure a proper transfer fee. Now this season he's managed to do a bit of rebuilding. We've lost players, but we've got new ones in.

Some of the ones that have left have been major first team players in Keogh and Cranie.
We've lost another talented youngster in Bigi, while this might not impact the first team as much it is not so good for the future. Of course SISU putting that money into the academy is a prude step as helps our future in other ways.
The rest of the departures I can't see us missing terribly... Platt, Clingan, Eastwood, McPake
The other 'departures' were loan and short term signings, so can't be considered.

In the summer of 2011 the club lost it's spine in Westwood, Turner, Gunna and King, we subsequently lost any spine on the pitch as well.

This summer I feel we've evolved our spine, and just need a talisman up front. Kilbane seems a great signing, experienced head for the youth. In the others we've so far got relative unknowns. They won't all come good, but a few might. We've also got a number of players who have not delivered for us either ever or last season, Baker, Bell, Cody who I think can offer something in a positive team.

Winning will breed confidence, we just have to develop the habit and a top 6 place is there for the taking. Automatic promotion is just beyond our reach I feel ( mentally ), but a good solid season to get to grips with it and hit it full on next season.

Users who are viewing this thread