Is automatic promotion realistically achievable? (1 Viewer)

Otis

With a game in hand! Win that and it's 4 points!
But that game in hand is not until the end of the season. Not going to come into play until a few weeks time.

One thing we HAVE to do to have any chance at all is to beat Notts County away for starters.

Mucca Mad Boys

And it's all well and good looking at Notts County, but we have to overtake FOUR teams above us, it's not just Notts County, we have to better Exeter, Mansfield AND Notts County's results.

We just have to worry about ourselves, we’ve got to, and really should, win our next two games. If we get positive results, things will take care of themselves. For example, Notts County play Mansfield this weekend - one of those teams is dropping points. We have 2 of the top 8 left to play, and our run in is quite good, so there is every chance we can climb back into it.

Everyone seemed to have Exeter in at 3rd based on their 2 games in hand - they drew to Yeovil at home last night...

It’s such an unpredictable league and we’ve got to take care of our own results.

runner

No ... simples ... but playoffs definitely likely ... now ... and agree, how we played last night is key ... keep that up ... we will definitely be in the top 7 ... but no way top 3 ... imho.

ccfcricoh

If you think we can win 8 games or 7 and a couple of draws then yes - autos is possible.

If you don't - then probably not!

Playoffs looking far more likely at the minute - but i still feel over 2 legs we stand a good chance against anyone up there at the minute (apart from Accrington - but they're looking good for autos)

Londonccfcfan

Massive game, as they all are. But against Crewe we need to do either of the two things we havnt done all season.

Back to back away wins and and/or go 5 games unbeaten.

I can actually see us not losing many games in the last 10, possibly Newport or Cheltenham away.

But the key will be getting enough wins for autos, wil require 8 wins. A bridge too far.

Another key will be going into the end of the season playing our best football, being on the up rather than on the down when/if we achieve play offs.

A few weeks ago, many were doubting even play offs,
But 8 points from 4 tough games. Has got us back on track. 2ppg should see us finish on 78 points which should see us comfortable play offs.

Otis

With a game in hand! Win that and it's 4 points!
And you have to remember that 4 points is ONLY on Notts County alone. It won't mean we are 4 points off an automatic place.

Screenshot_2018-03-14-09-06-47.png

We are 5 points behind Wycombe. Just 2 behind Exeter, but they do have a game in hand.

If we close the gap to 4 points on Notts County that is on Notts County alone and not on 3rd place.

Otis

I bet you we finish 7th and still go up.

Only so that despite promotion, we'll still be the only team from the 92 to not have had a top 6 finish in however many years it is. We're Cov. We're never straightforward.
Yeah, true.

If we finish 7th and go up we need to have an open topped bus parade, but with us all wearing black armbands.

CCFC88

the 4 teams between us and 3rd place all still have to play Accrington, who look almost unbeatable at the moment, Mansfield also have to go to Luton and Notts County host Luton the last game of the season. Hopefully the 2 horsed race for the title stays competitive so they are giving 100% until the final day.
Win 8 out of 10 and I think we'll sneak in, the 5 homes games are a must win and a win on Saturday would put give us a real chance.

skybluesam66

I would say 8 wins (including beating N county) for Autos
17 points for play offs

We only have N county and Lincoln to play in the top 10 - so we should be strong enough for the play offs
I think because of our inconsistency autos is a step too far

I would fancy us against anybody in the play offs (but that expectation may well be our downfall)

Hobo

If it is mathematically possible, it is possible. I remember us in a relegation spot with games in hand. But we had to win all of our last six games and the last game was home to the Champions Everton. Nobody gave us a chance....it's all history now.

Skyblueweeman

The league is more competitive this year than last.

After 36 games, we're 7th on 58 points.

After 36 games last season, 58 points would've put us joint 4th/5th. Pompey were 3rd this time last year on 62 points whereas 3rd this year is on 65 points.

skybluesam66

If it is mathematically possible, it is possible. I remember us in a relegation spot with games in hand. But we had to win all of our last six games and the last game was home to the Champions Everton. Nobody gave us a chance....it's all history now.
and the memory distorts the truth - try the last 3 games

Mucca Mad Boys

the 4 teams between us and 3rd place all still have to play Accrington, who look almost unbeatable at the moment, Mansfield also have to go to Luton and Notts County host Luton the last game of the season. Hopefully the 2 horsed race for the title stays competitive so they are giving 100% until the final day.
Win 8 out of 10 and I think we'll sneak in, the 5 homes games are a must win and a win on Saturday would put give us a real chance.

I think we’ll sneak in to the autos on as low as 6 wins (with 3-4 draws). If we win 7 games, it puts us on 79 points and that’s usually enough for autos - then add in a draw or two you’re on about 80-81pts.

Our run in is ‘easier’ our competitors and all of them have been inconsistent so I don’t really expect any of the teams around us to go on a big win streak either. That said, I also think we’ve left ourselves too much to do, and have dropped too many points to against the weaker teams in the division. I think we’ll probably end up 4th or 5th, enough to secure a home tie in the playoffs.

The time to put together a win streak is now.

SkyBlueCRJ

It's good to see that people on here have a strong level of optimism but I think auto's are seriously out of reach. Had we'd won it would've been a different story, however we didn't. There are too many roadblocks in the way for us to achieve the a top 3 finish at this stage, given the amount of games left. Catching up with Notts County along with bettering Wycombe, Mansfield and Exeter as well as managing the rate of our current injury record doesn't fill me with the world of confidence. Crewe and Grimsby should be for the taking but how many times have we struggled against lesser sides? Barnet was one of the worst performances of the season and it links back to the issue of the lack of chances created.

The focus should be on play-offs. Swindon, Lincoln and Carlisle are all breathing down our necks. So, I think it's more apt if we look at what's below us rather than what's above at the moment given that only a point separates us from what would qualify as a bad season.

Otis

I think we’ll sneak in to the autos on as low as 6 wins (with 3-4 draws). If we win 7 games, it puts us on 79 points and that’s usually enough for autos - then add in a draw or two you’re on about 80-81pts.

Our run in is ‘easier’ our competitors and all of them have been inconsistent so I don’t really expect any of the teams around us to go on a big win streak either. That said, I also think we’ve left ourselves too much to do, and have dropped too many points to against the weaker teams in the division. I think we’ll probably end up 4th or 5th, enough to secure a home tie in the playoffs.

The time to put together a win streak is now.
Sort of understand that thinking, but if we only need 79 points that means that Notts County and Wycombe and Mansfield will have to fail to get to 79.

County have 9 games left and are on 65 points. To get to 79 they only need 14 points, so 4 wins and 2 draws out of their remaining 9 games.

They can afford to lose 3 and fail to win in 5 and still make it.

Wycombe are a further 2 points adrift. They therefore need 16 points to get to 79.

They have 10 games left, so 5 wins and a draw and can afford to lose 4 games, failing to win in 5 of their remaining 10 games.

You see where I am going with this? ;)

We need other teams to fail and show quite poor form.

Mucca Mad Boys

Sort of understand that thinking, but if we only need 79 points that means that Notts County and Wycombe and Mansfield will have to fail to get to 79.

County have 9 games left and are on 65 points. To get to 79 they only need 14 points, so 4 wins and 2 draws out of their remaining 9 games.

They can afford to lose 3 and fail to win in 5 and still make it.

Wycombe are a further 2 points adrift. They therefore need 16 points to get to 79.

They have 10 games left, so 5 wins and a draw and can afford to lose 4 games, failing to win in 5 of their remaining 10 games.

You see where I am going with this? ;)

We need other teams to fail and show quite poor form.

Firstly, I agree with you, which is why I went out of my way to say I think we’ll finish 4th or 5th.

However, none the teams around us are showing particularly good form atm. You could argue we’re in the ascendency, with 8/12pts from our last 4 games; Wycombe, Mansfield, Barnet and Luton. That’s a pretty damn good return. We’re all roughly on a 2-2-2 form last 6 games. There will definitely be opportunities to close the gap on the teams around us and I think the 3rd auto spot will be decided on the last day.

Looking at the next 3 games, we could do with 7pts - not an unreasonable return.

Gosford Green

No. If we had won against Luton it was a possibility. As well as hoping our form holds we have to also have to hope that not only Notts Co but also the other teams above us drop points.

Warwickhunt

Got to hope McNulty stays fit and we can get Davies fit and back on the pitch as well. by the way Doyler did’nt get booked either so does that mean all his bookings are wiped for the season

jordan210

Did anyone see the Class of 92 going full time on sky.

I feel like we are having the season they did. Lost a few key games against lower league teams. Started to get a good run going and last game of season managed to get in the playoffs and lost it in the semi final.

Mucca Mad Boys

No. If we had won against Luton it was a possibility. As well as hoping our form holds we have to also have to hope that not only Notts Co but also the other teams above us drop points.

Why is this result so significant? We’re not in direct competition with Luton now. It wouldn’t make a difference had beat Luton, and say drew to either Crewe or Grimsby. There’s 30pts to play for still... it’s up to us to pick up as many those as possible.

smileycov

Facebook User
And you have to remember that 4 points is ONLY on Notts County alone. It won't mean we are 4 points off an automatic place.

View attachment 9254

We are 5 points behind Wycombe. Just 2 behind Exeter, but they do have a game in hand.

If we close the gap to 4 points on Notts County that is on Notts County alone and not on 3rd place.
But the other 3 are also playing Notts c and Accrington, with Mansfield I believe also facing Luton. If we sort our own games out I truly believe that will be enough to go above them all. Newport and Notts c Away are the 2 I feel we could loose, lincoln at home is not a given either. But 7/8 wins is up for grabs with 1/2 draws also. We are out f the horrendous wobble and I truly believe we are good enough to put a lot of points on the board going forward. Disappointing to drop 2 points but would have taken 1 off Luton so in my opinion nothing has altered.

Otis

But the other 3 are also playing Notts c and Accrington, with Mansfield I believe also facing Luton. If we sort our own games out I truly believe that will be enough to go above them all. Newport and Notts c Away are the 2 I feel we could loose, lincoln at home is not a given either. But 7/8 wins is up for grabs with 1/2 draws also. We are out f the horrendous wobble and I truly believe we are good enough to put a lot of points on the board going forward. Disappointing to drop 2 points but would have taken 1 off Luton so in my opinion nothing has altered.
Surely if we lose to Notts County we're not going to catch them are we?

CCFC88

Notts Countys next 5 games are
Mansfield
Chesterfield (a)
Wycombe
Accrington (a)
City
Every chance they only get 3/5 points from the fixtures before our game, I think we will be within a point or two of them when we go there. Ideally they will draw their next 3 and lose to Accrington!
Exeter were the team I thought posed the biggest threat to 3rd but their draw last night has helped us there. They are the team that I think has the easiest run in so we would need them to have a serious drop in form

jimmyhillsfanclub

Autos are possible....but not realistic.

Play-offs are realistic.

Play-off semis 2nd leg heartbreak is the inevitable CCFC outcome!

CV22SBA

I was gutted last night but woke up this morning and thought its not so bad, before the game i thought we would get beat so a point we'll take and move on.
There is so much to play for, bottom teams fighting for their lives. Teams around us still to play each other. We still have to play County and Lincoln. This league is far from over and many twists to come yet. We're unbeaten in 4 of which 3 of the teams played are in the top 6. Luton haven't won in 4 yet reading there forum last night they think they will be champions again after a draw at the Ricoh.

I think Accrington will win the league, Luton probably strong enough to finish second if they play like they did in the second half and 3rd place is up for grabs. Last season Pompy were 8th with 10 games to go and won the league. Carlisle are the form team at the moment and were in the playoffs last year so i reckon they will play a part.

All to play for PUSB!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Massive game, as they all are. But against Crewe we need to do either of the two things we havnt done all season.

Back to back away wins and and/or go 5 games unbeaten.

I can actually see us not losing many games in the last 10, possibly Newport or Cheltenham away.

But the key will be getting enough wins for autos, wil require 8 wins. A bridge too far.

Another key will be going into the end of the season playing our best football, being on the up rather than on the down when/if we achieve play offs.

A few weeks ago, many were doubting even play offs,
But 8 points from 4 tough games. Has got us back on track. 2ppg should see us finish on 78 points which should see us comfortable play offs.

I went to watch Cheltenham play Newport earlier in the year and both teams were not very good at all. We should be beating them.

Maybe not Newport, but certainly Cheltenham will probably have nothing to play for by that stage as they are quite clear of relegation. That should help us.

smileycov

Facebook User
I know Otis, but my feeling is we will be strongest of those other side during next 10. You pointed out we had to pass 4 not just Notts C-quite rightly. I am merely stating they all play each other so that makes a route through a little more straightforward. I also say take it 2 games at a time, if we can keep winning the opportunity is there.

Otis

I know Otis, but my feeling is we will be strongest of those other side during next 10. You pointed out we had to pass 4 not just Notts C-quite rightly. I am merely stating they all play each other so that makes a route through a little more straightforward. I also say take it 2 games at a time, if we can keep winning the opportunity is there.
Guessing the best outcome for these top sides is for them to keep drawings against each other. If we can keep winning it will be two points gained on both each time.

Users who are viewing this thread