Incoming - Tom Costello (2 Viewers)

Saddlebrains

Still think the U23s should be binned off

Keep our u21s or 18s whatever it is. 9 times out of 10 Those who will make it are showing it by that age. Sign them up on low wage senior pro contracts, loan them out for a season or 2 and see if they will make the grade

The u23s have done fuck all for us for years now and must be a good bit of money going out

Terry Gibson's perm

Couldn’t get a game at Altrincham after failing to play much at Rochdale and Walsall. I’d suggest Lge 2 looks like a pipe dream right now.

My brother in law watched him at Altrincham in the games he played and said he had a good touch but was very lightweight and disappeared in games.

slowpoke

Keep our u21s or 18s whatever it is. 9 times out of 10 Those who will make it are showing it by that age. Sign them up on low wage senior pro contracts, loan them out for a season or 2 and see if they will make the grade

The u23s have done fuck all for us for years now and must be a good bit of money going out
I’m not 100% sure but I think the U23s has been binned off,

fatso

It's always lazy to say three year contracts are stupid. Good job we gave them to Gyokeres, Hamer etc. And for that matter Hyam and McCallum for longer than a year.

They only look bad when players don't work out, but one year to bed in and improve, one year to break through and then have the cushion of another year to either sell or negotiate a new deal is not stupid.
Would you still be saying that if we'd given one to Sean Maguire?

slowpoke

It’s a long and hard road to be a pro-footballer scholar, U/18s. U/21s they all have ability or wouldn’t be there, some can be in the shadows then suddenly burst into life others go the other way.
Failure rate is very high do well to get a couple a year.

Manchester_sky_blue

The likes of Costello,Cashman etc are just low risk punts. They haven't cost us all that much and there was that chance they might just come good. Remember Hyam was a complete no-mark signing for the u23s who made the step up. Taveres and Rus likewise but both now look like they will be around the first team.

slowpoke

Robins has upgraded our recruitment team and also brought in a different coach for the U18s there are other new ones in and around the Acadamy.

Hobo

Would you still be saying that if we'd given one to Sean Maguire?
You sound like Grendel. McGuire was signed as a short term gamble and never considered for a long contract.

Some players are signed to be developed in under 21's but not expected to break Into first team ... fans need to get over it! Two squads, two budgets, two different purposes.

fatso

You sound like Grendel. McGuire was signed as a short term gamble and never considered for a long contract.

Some players are signed to be developed in under 21's but not expected to break Into first team ... fans need to get over it! Two squads, two budgets, two different purposes.
Oh I see, I had no idea you were involved in contract issues between the club and players.
Thanks for explaining it.

Hobo

Oh I see, I had no idea you were involved in contract issues between the club and players.
Thanks for explaining it.
It is documented that both squads have separate budgets and not every player signed is expected to break into the first team. Because if you have a player of potential coming through you can't develop them by surrounding them with crap. Now where is the evidence McGuire was considered for a long contract? I see none but if you can produce it go ahead.....

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's always lazy to say three year contracts are stupid. Good job we gave them to Gyokeres, Hamer etc. And for that matter McCallum for longer than a year.

They only look bad when players don't work out, but one year to bed in and improve, one year to break through and then have the cushion of another year to either sell or negotiate a new deal is not stupid.

Ridiculous post.

By your logic long term contracts should be handed out to every signing then?

mmttww

Barcelona used 'Development Players' in their B Team. Experienced players or decent enough young players who were kept for at most a couple of seasons to make up the numbers while you develop priorities. It's not us being weird.

Last edited:

KenilworthSkyBlue

What a stupid reply.

Fits with the stupid post.

Surely you must understand it’s a poor risk mitigation strategy offering similar length contracts to higher-risk signings such as Hilssner and Dacosta for instance, as to players which were bought for relatively sizeable fees suchas Hamer and Gyokeres.

Does that not at the very least suggest there’s no real strategy or risk mitigation process in place? Surely it's better to instead structure contracts for the higher risk signings in such a way where the club can mitigate that risk somewhat. E.g. A 2 year contract with an option of a further year in the club’s favour.

Users who are viewing this thread