Incoming! - Callum Doyle (1 Viewer)

rexo87

Bit worried by his aireal stats. Wouldn't want him playing with a wing back like Maatsen for example. Bidwell is a lot better in the air so should be able to work reasonably well with him. Mccallum as well for example would be good alongside Doyle. Also think we may get Panzo and those 2 compete for the LCB role

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

rob9872

Not sure why nobody thinks he's a starter. I expect him to be first choice at LCB.City wouldn't let us have him to not play him and there will likely be penalty clauses if we do that means higher % of wages paid.

He's young so will make mistakes, but accomplished on the ball from what I've heard (not seen him personally). Not too worried on aerial stats either if true as more the John Stones mold who reads the game well.

Block 19

Not sure why nobody thinks he's a starter. I expect him to be first choice at LCB.City wouldn't let us have him to not play him and there will likely be penalty clauses if we do that means higher % of wages paid.

He's young so will make mistakes, but accomplished on the ball from what I've heard (not seen him personally). Not too worried on aerial stats either if true as more the John Stones mold who reads the game well.

John Stones is much better. He'll probably make the England squad

Jamesimus

Not the kind of LCB signing I wanted / felt like we needed, presuming he starts most games. Feel like we more needed someone a bit more experienced with a bit of pace.

That said, he will suit the way we play and is clearly good with the ball at his feet.

Seems like M.R. and his team are sticking to their guns in their philosophy; young, technical players interested in attacking football - rather thinking about not conceding perhaps we're going to try and outscore the opposition? Hopefully the lads have been working on their finishing!

Jamesimus

To be fair Ostegard was 20 (21 in the November) built like a brick shithouse and looked like a man. Doyle is and looks like a teenager. Maatsen and Sterling both used to get bullied physically at times, but you have cover as a wing back.

Regardless of raw talent and potential, he is definitely a downgrade on JCS if only for experience and physicality.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
227d489d8db8532d1ee3fba015ecd82c.jpg

983cba27c901c68becf8d8eeb95cc939.jpg

Both look like they have very similar builds from these pics, just one of them has started shaving and the other hasn't.

Yorkshire SB

Hard to know what to expect, sounds like he's good with the ball but short defensively. Suspect our style and playing in a 3 will suit him. Players improve rapidly at that age too.

Hobo

I remember one called Matt Mills.

If you look at my posting history I consistently say no signing guarantees success, I remember Kevin Drinkell, Freddie Eastwood and Gary Collier.

But rather than be glass half empty on everything, I prefer to reserve judgement until they actually play. Also I don't believe in making judgements on their first appearance and give players a chance to establish themselves.

In an ideal world I would love us to sign an established 26 or 28 year old as a direct replacement for Kyle McFadz. Maybe the budget isn't there, maybe the right player isn't currently available, who knows?

But I still think Doyle can play a role and his signing is a positive step forward.

PVA

Very young, but if you're good enough you're old enough and all that.

Presumably any other CB signings will be more experienced.

Offhegoes

Good signing, even better he had a season in League 1 last season, so will be used to Men's football rather than U23 action at Man City. Presume another LCB or CB will be brought in increase competition for places.

Great_Expectations

Not sure I really get any negativity. Yea he’s young but so what. He suits our style of play based on his stats and anecdotal evidence. Hell also have McFadz, Hyam, Bidwell (?) around him who are all experienced players.

For the record I also don’t think he’ll be first choice, I expect another LCB to come in.

Interesting comparisons to JCS - he absolutely has the edge experience wise and is a solid player (unless against a physical striker) who I would have liked. But I wonder how much judgements are clouded by the fact he’s left footed.

slowpoke

I really like how Doyle is being called a ‘downgrade’ on JCS before he’s even kicked a ball for us
Funny a number on here were belly aching about missing out on the Man City kid who we would have had to pay a fee for choosing Burnley over us possibly Doyle with 36 games under his belt at Sunderland has a bit more experience.

Greggs

Not keen on young centre halves as they tend to reach their prime at a slightly later age. We will see I guess.

stay_up_skyblues

If we’re gonna sign a teenager on loan then an England youth international who could be turning out for potentially the best team in the world in a few years is the one to get. Could come on quite a bit from last season under better management in a footballing side based on his stats so let’s see.

Hertsccfc

Just to offer a counter view on Doyle being too young; Garry Gillespie joined us at the age of 18 after just 20 odd appearances in Scotland. Would make it into most City all time 11s for anyone in my age group. I’m looking forward to seeing young Doyle making a real contribution this season.
I'll wait until I see him play before expressing an opinion. Yes I know that is a strange thing to do rather than writing players off before seeing them play, like Tavares and Cashman.

Last edited:

Grendel

Just to offer a counter view on Doyle being too young; Garry Gillespie joined us at the age of 18 after just 20 odd appearances in Scotland. Would make it into most City all time 11s for anyone in my age group. I’m looking forward to seeing young Doyle making a real contribution this season.

Finding an example that is nearly half a century ago isnt exactly supporting your argument

Grendel

I'll wait until I see him play before expressing an opinion. Yes I know that is a strange thing to do rather than writing players off before seeing them play, like Tavares and Cashman.

Most people have done the opposite with Tavares

Brighton Sky Blue

How does his athletic prowess compare to Biamou at the same age?

shepardo01

Before he got sacked, Johnson played him. Don't think Neill played him much after that....

Users who are viewing this thread