Incoming! - Callum Doyle (2 Viewers)

Hobo

I dont care what our fans think or what Sunderland fans think.

He played a good amount of games last year even if at League 1 level. He has to step up, but is not necessarilly first choice anyway. He has come here with a good pedigree, but still has to earn the right.

I remember a young 18 year old centre back called Gary Gillespie. He broke through really quickly.

So no reason this cannot be a good signing. 😁

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Happy enough with that. Left sided and must be good with the ball to be at Man City. Got some league experience too.

Prefer CB's to be a bit older, but no reason he can't be good at that age. Think he'll be rotating with Fadz, as both will likely need a rest at some point for differing reasons.

Blind-Faith

Left sided CB is what we needed, has played first team football albeit at a slightly lower level but is not a complete newbie.

You don’t play for Man City unless you have something about you and as I’d never seen Ostigard kick a ball before he signed for us I’m going to trust MR and co on this one. Welcome Mr Doyle! 👌

Sky Blue Harry H

I think you'll find I was one of the negative ones when he was first mooted. Really wish him well, though and hopefully he thrives at a footballing team. May be wrong, but I don't think you'll find many Sunderland fans that upset that they haven't got him. Looking forward to the obvious song !!

Short Jarni

Played plenty under Johnson but was out of the team when Alex Neil took over, citing burnout for his lack of games.
I actually think the 'burnout' issue may be part of the deal. He has only just finished his season as part of the England U19's.
I'd not be surprised to see him employed as a rotational player, even some appearances at LB if we flexed the formation for certain opposition.
Man City may only want him to start a maximum of 25-30 games at present so he doesn't suffer again.
To that end, I still see Panzo joining as the primary LCB option.

Londonccfcfan

Very impressive passing possession stats maybe hes gonna develop in to left wing back...seems like a good dribbler.

Aerial duals won are concerning. Hence put him on the Wing. Lads got potential to develop.

stupot07

Doyle is 19 in October and has 36 league one games behind him How old was Ostigard when he joined and not a lot of match experience behind him.he did okay Have confidence in the manager.
To be fair Ostegard was 20 (21 in the November) built like a brick shithouse and looked like a man. Doyle is and looks like a teenager. Maatsen and Sterling both used to get bullied physically at times, but you have cover as a wing back.

Regardless of raw talent and potential, he is definitely a downgrade on JCS if only for experience and physicality.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
227d489d8db8532d1ee3fba015ecd82c.jpg

983cba27c901c68becf8d8eeb95cc939.jpg

Last edited:

slowpoke

To be fair Ostegard was 20 (21 in the November) built like a brick shithouse and looked like a man. Doyle is and looks like a teenager. Maatsen and Sterling both used to get bullied physically at times, but you have cover as a wing back.

Regardless of raw talent and potential, he is definitely a downgrade on JCS if only for experience and physicality.

We’ll according to Robins there’s two or three more to come in so let’s wait and see

David O'Day

227d489d8db8532d1ee3fba015ecd82c.jpg

Probably an upgrade on potential ability though

stupot07

Probably an upgrade on potential ability though
Undoubtedly, but we won't get any benefit of that, that will be 2-3 years down the line, when hes gone back to city.

I'm not against it, just concerned if that's the only centre back we're bringing in.

Evo1883

I think playing next to Fadz will be good for him too , unless ofcourse we are looking to upgrade on fadz .. proper leader is fadz and people forget how good he's been for hyam

stupot07

Here's his stats from last season in league one. Seems very good in possession, and not so good defensively.

4a6e283743a71b453cb7d3e2bd0d0ead.jpg

David O'Day

Undoubtedly, but we won't get any benefit of that, that will be 2-3 years down the line, when hes gone back to city.

I'm not against it, just concerned if that's the only centre back we're bringing in.

We've got a good player that fills the need in our back four. I'll happy with this, we just need depth now

Skyblue_CP

There's a fair amount of delusion about the strength of their squad on there.
It’s quite funny really, saying their squad is miles better than ours.. a team that finished 12th comfortably in the Championsip and arguably under achieved, compared to a team that scraped L1 play offs and have signed a couple of mediocre players since. Deluded.

long way home

Good addition gives us balance on that side, looks a big unit, who is comfortable on the ball. Suits our style looks and sounds like a good fit in the group.

Only worry would be the physicality side of his game as he is stepping up again. Time will tell but im sure MR will do right by him to help the club and him progress.

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220711/227d489d8db8532d1ee3fba015ecd82c.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220711/983cba27c901c68becf8d8eeb95cc939.jpg

Doyle will be a decent squad player. But still need a quality Centre back and LWB...even though Bidwell can competently cover both.

Users who are viewing this thread