In or around Coventry....does it matter? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Because this thread is about whether or not boundaries are important! I used the Bees as an example because: They DO NOT ride within the city boundary but DO represent Coventry. The bees are are well supported and as far as I know, in all thier long history, its never been an issue that Brandon is not in Coventry. So, can you, in the context of this thread, see my point? If not I really do worry.

Give up - its like trying to teach brain surgery to 5 year olds.

Grendel

Don't upset Grendel. Maybe he has never noticed all the houses.

Where in Binley Woods and Brandon? Yes I have actually.

Astute

Give up - its like trying to teach brain surgery to 5 year olds.

Whats up? Is it something you can't blame CCC for?

The truth hurts when it don't help SISU with the fantasy stadium plans does it?

Samo

And you call me a moron because I said normally speedway tracks are away from built up areas and football clubs are normally in built up areas. You don't understand the truth or don't like the truth as it don't help the point you want everyone to listen to.

Good grief, I really do give up! If you genuinely cannot understand the very simple point I was making there is no point in attempting further debate. It's like trying to teach a chimp to play chess. Good luck in all you do Astute but please... try not to think!

Last edited:

Ian Coventry

Sorry. Its Coventry or nothing for me.

I don't care whether or not some other club plays outside its towns boundaries. We are Coventry, one of England's great ancient cities. To not have our football club play within our boundaries is a disgrace, and I cant believe that some Coventrians would be happy about that.
Well Coventry Bees have been riding there motorbikes outside of coventry for a very long time , I aint heard of no proud Coventrians such as yourself complaining about that. I think your just being too picky.

Astute

Good grief, I really do give up! If you genuinely cannot understand the very simple point I was making there is no point at in attempting further debate. It's like trying to teach a chimp to play chess. Good luck in all you do Astute but please... try not to think!

I was thinking the same about you. Comparing apples to oranges. And not liking it when it is pointed out that one is an apple and one is an orange so they are different.

Samo

I was thinking the same about you. Comparing apples to oranges. And not liking it when it is pointed out that one is an apple and one is an orange so they are different.

Apples and Oranges are different????

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Because this thread is about whether or not boundaries are important! I used the Bees as an example because: They DO NOT ride within the city boundary but DO represent Coventry. The bees are are well supported and as far as I know, in all thier long history, its never been an issue that Brandon is not in Coventry. So, can you, in the context of this thread, see my point? If not I really do worry.

Without bearing deliberately disrespectful to speedway lovers, it's just not the same level of sport in terms as football in terms if passion, city representation or social impact and demographics.Coventry Bees were pretty big news at one time but speed way and football are now world's apart.

I fully understand your rational buts it's really missing the point. Coventry public or fan base will never accept some small tiny stadium outside Coventry that turns Coventry into some kind of minor sporting operation like Coventry Bees or dare I say Northampton town football club.

Please refrain from unpleasant tones of morons and " really need to worry". There are quite a lot of non-moranic Coventry City fans who see this whole situation as can I say "absurd".

ccfcway

Everyone is missing the point.

When our new stadium is built there are no planning applications to submit. Never never land does not require any.

We will have the best ground in fantasy land. SISU are working on a plan to get the 75 fans there.

They will release details in 3 weeks!

what is it with you and 3 weeks !

;)

Ian Coventry

If we were moving somewhere just outside the city for a valid reason I wouldn't really have an issue with it. However at the moment there doesn't appear to be valid reason for not playing in the city so I don't support playing out of it, either at Northampton or a new stadium.

If SISU can come out and clearly explain why we need a new stadium out of the city and how that is viable then I may change my opinion.

Have Sisu not said a thousand times they need there own stadium, to avoid paying rent, to realise there own income streams from gate money, from sales , from renting out as wedding venues as ultimately a saleable asset so they can make a damn good profit when they sell it.

chiefdave

Not a speedway fan but a quick google shows that the Bees were founded in 1928 which is coincidentally around the time Brandon was built.

It appears they did stage some races in the city at a greyhound track, funnily enough close to where the Ricoh is now, but it seems that for pretty much all of their existence they have been at Brandon.

No idea why they are called Coventry and not Brandon, at a guess they named themselves after the nearest big city and no one objected.

To me that is a very different scenario than taking a club out of the city that has been based there for over a century when there is a perfectly good stadium ready and waiting for them within the city.

Rusty Trombone

Have Sisu not said a thousand times they need there own stadium, to avoid paying rent, to realise there own income streams from gate money, from sales , from renting out as wedding venues as ultimately a saleable asset so they can make a damn good profit when they sell it.

They have said it many times, when do you think they will buy one? Do you think they can afford one?

chiefdave

They have but repeating something that is factually incorrect a thousand times doesn't magically make it correct.

Astute

They have said many things. And a lot of what they have said has been at least stretching the truth. Why should they get it without paying a proper price for it? If they were willing to pay a proper price Joy would have tried negotiating and we wouldn't be in Northampton.

Samo

Without bearing deliberately disrespectful to speedway lovers, it's just not the same level of sport in terms as football in terms if passion, city representation or social impact and demographics.Coventry Bees were pretty big news at one time but speed way and football are now world's apart.

I fully understand your rational buts it's really missing the point. Coventry public or fan base will never accept some small tiny stadium outside Coventry that turns Coventry into some kind of minor sporting operation like Coventry Bees or dare I say Northampton town football club.

Please refrain from unpleasant tones of morons and " really need to worry". There are quite a lot of non-moranic Coventry City fans who see this whole situation as can I say "absurd".

Stripes,
I think it is you who are missing the point. I don't want to get into an argument about footie and speedway, my point was about boundaries. If you feel my tone is disrespectful, i apologize. I get frustrated with the inability of some posters to grasp the very simplest of points. Perhaps this brings out in me a less than compassionate aspect of which I am not particularly proud. I really despair at the relentless stupidity on full display though!

Ian Coventry

They have said it many times, when do you think they will buy one? Do you think they can afford one?

I think it could be a very long time, I wouldn,t hold my breath, yes I think they can afford one , but wont invest the money unless they are 100 % certain to make a good pfofit out of it at some point, I wouldn,t be surprised if they dont do what wimbledon did.

chiefdave

I,m sorry but you'll have to enlighten me how that is factually incorrect ???

Is that a serious question? It's been explained over and over again why stadium ownership is not required. In short stadium ownership does not give SISU access to a single penny of extra revenue. Ownership of ACL, or ownership of the lease, gives access to revenues,

Rusty Trombone

I think it could be a very long time, I wouldn,t hold my breath, yes I think they can afford one , but wont invest the money unless they are 100 % certain to make a good pfofit out of it at some point, I wouldn,t be surprised if they dont do what wimbledon did.

In respect of your Wimbledon point I can think of one large City that is currently without a league team playing there, maybe they could relocate from Northampton to there, and then benefit from larger attendances, and therefore make more money.

I don't think the investors will be prepared to keep putting the money in for very much longer, and SISU themselves don't have enough money to build a stadium.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Stripes,
I think it is you who are missing the point. I don't want to get into an argument about footie and speedway, my point was about boundaries. If you feel my tone is disrespectful, i apologize. I get frustrated with the inability of some posters to grasp the very simplest of points. Perhaps this brings out in me a less than compassionate aspect of which I am not particularly proud. I really despair at the relentless stupidity on full display though!

Too he honest I always got the point but personally there is a bigger issue regarding why we are not in Coventry now.

I do appreciate though your conciliatory reply.

fernandopartridge

I said usual place for speedway tracks is normally away from a built up area. Not always. I said the usual place for a football stadium is in a built up area. Not always. This means you will find a few speedway stadiums in built up areas and a few football stadiums away from built up areas. But this is so hard to understand to some. Will have to check who agrees to the opposite of what I put. Usual suspects I suppose.

Usual apart from the ones in cities. You were talking bollocks again you mean.

bigfatronssba

Last edited:
I'm getting tired of this get Cov back in Cov message now. Yes we want our team back home but to put a finite term such as "in Coventry" as a requirement is annoying.
If we do have a new stadium then I am fine with it if it's in the Coventry area - as in say Brandon, Exhall for example.

We should be coming back to the Ricoh but we all know that.

Splitting hairs somewhat. CCFC back where they belong, at the Ricoh or within the city's catchment not in a different county.

Otis

10 pages of nitpicking bollocks!

Surely the whole point is that there is absolutely no need for us to be anywhere else other than at a stadium that is already built and already in Coventry and already built for the use of Coventry City Football Club.

What we need here is to not be measuring millimetres on maps, but to get several heads banging their heads together round a table.

Talk of building yet another stadium is fantastical, cloud 9 claptrap.

skybluetony176

Look at how much Fulham was sold for and then look at how much Al Fayed paid for it in the first place and how much he pumped into it during his tenure. Sisu aren't going to make a penny in profit by selling the club.

Astute

Usual apart from the ones in cities. You were talking bollocks again you mean.

Do you mean that I am talking bollocks because I don't agree with you or the truth don't go with your point of view?

We all need to remember that two turkeys don't make an eagle.

Otis

Do you mean that I am talking bollocks because I don't agree with you or the truth don't go with your point of view?

We all need to remember that two turkeys don't make an eagle.

But that they do make a good Christmas dinner.

Unfortunately in all my golfing years I have never got an eagle.

Chez78

But that they do make a good Christmas dinner.

Unfortunately in all my golfing years I have never got an eagle.

Never even got near an eagle, got a hole in one though and to make that fact even more amazing I'm the type of golfer who is chuffed to break the hundred I.e. Rubbish

Otis

Never even got near an eagle, got a hole in one though and to make that fact even more amazing I'm the type of golfer who is chuffed to break the hundred I.e. Rubbish

Best ever score at Brandon for me is 173.

ollyservetta

to me it matters and matters a lot ,If nowhere can be found nearer the city centre then only a return to the ricoh should be considerd. The ricoh to me was built in totally the wrong place ,. a return to the city of Coventry or the end of Coventry city fc in name. i find it very selfish and wrong that some feel its ok and just, because it is more convenient for them ,when a vast majority are being totally fucked over.sorry for the language but there is no other way of putting it .The money generated from matchdays should benefit people in Coventry ,and it should be a day out for people to enjoy ,like it was going to HR ,for both home and away fans .

Users who are viewing this thread