If we beat Luton will it be better than winning the FA Cup (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

For me yes. Because of what it will mean to the future of the club.

Also fa cup has lost some of its magic unfortunately as football and fans change

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Do you not think that promotion now would be more of an achievement than it was in 1967?

Considering the shit that Mark Robins has had to put up with, then yes.

fatso

Strange how the FA Cup has lost its gloss over the years, I honestly couldn't tell you who's even in the final this year, and i certainly can't be arsed to watch it.

Robinshio

Strange how the FA Cup has lost its gloss over the years, I honestly couldn't tell you who's even in the final this year, and i certainly can't be arsed to watch it.
1989 was the last year when the semi wasnt shown live
then there was the birth of football with the premier league - who didnt care about the FA
10 years later they put the semis at wembley
Then the end of the cup winners cup, and multiple entrants into the champions league
before that by winning the cup , you got the 2nd best place into Europe behind the European cup
The multiple replays were also a feature, I enjoyed the Arsenal v Liverpool FA cup semi final at highfield road - I also remember a replay between Villa and palace

Now it is just a game of football, then it was an event - and we had the Cup songs , the pro celeb game for us before the main event

bigfatronssba

1989 was the last year when the semi wasnt shown live
then there was the birth of football with the premier league - who didnt care about the FA
10 years later they put the semis at wembley
Then the end of the cup winners cup, and multiple entrants into the champions league
before that by winning the cup , you got the 2nd best place into Europe behind the European cup
The multiple replays were also a feature, I enjoyed the Arsenal v Liverpool FA cup semi final at highfield road - I also remember a replay between Villa and palace

Now it is just a game of football, then it was an event - and we had the Cup songs , the pro celeb game for us before the main event
Agree with you on all that.

Just to be pedantic though, the first Semi Final at Wembley was in 1991

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When we won the FA Cup it was the premier competition. Arguably as big as winning the league or even the then European competitions.

At this moment in time and not because it's us, this is far more important imo. I think the magic of the cup and the romance died with the birth of the premier league. Money, the champions league, the club world cup are all factors, but most prem clubs regard their respective ambitions of either staying up or finishing 4th ahead of the cup and hence play weakened sides. It's a shame, but does diminish the value and the prestige.
I think that as those clubs complain about fixture congestion just say clubs in Europe don't play in a domestic cup. Solves their fixture problem and gives a team who'd value winning the competition more of a chance. Bored of reserves of top teams (still worth more than the opposition) filling in until the quarters/semi's when they start thinking about winning it and consider playing some of the first team.

Otis

Yup. It was always a must watch for me and my family and we would make a whole day of it pretty much.

Now, like you, half the time I have no idea who is even playing in the final. Can't remember the last one I watched to be honest.

It's lost so much prestige over the years.

fatso

Its a must win we have already lost a large % of potential city fans during the last 20 years being out of Premier league
What?????
We used to regularly get crowds of only 10,000 at Highfield Road for the non glamorous top flight games. And yet we've had sell out crowds and broke attendance records for league 2 since. Its amazing how time distorts the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread