If we beat Luton will it be better than winning the FA Cup (1 Viewer)

ccfcchris

It's so very close for me but having been lucky to experience that day at Wembley the FA Cup win just about edges it for me.

Skybluecol

Nope......getting promoted after these last shit 2 decades is great and the story behind it is brilliant.
But.....winning the FA Cup......c'mon! That's in the history books and we'll have our name of that Cup forever.
I was 7 when we won the FA Cup and wasn't there but so wish I had been! My Dad let his ticket go so he could watch it with me and his own Dad for memories. So grateful as I actually remember the day very well for the age I was!!

Finham

No it won't. Please stop posting this, people! It's very tedious. At least wait and see if we do it first, eh?

bigfatronssba

No, but could feel better considering the club’s recent history

Macca

Apples and pears. 36 years ago was a different world both football wise and socially. Probably more important for the club on Saturday but as an occasion, impossible to compare. Winning an FA cup was probably the pinnacle of a players career then but far from it now

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

The gap in decades obviously taints things, but the FA Cup is definitely the bigger achievement.

I don't see why we need to compare though. So many City fans now won't have even been born in 1987.

The only comparison really would be like for like.

In 66/67 season the club made history by getting promoted to the top flight.

In 70/71 season the club made history by qualifying for Europe.

In 86/87 season the club made history by winning the FA cup.

In 22/23 season IF the club get promoted to the top flight again it's just history repeating itself.

For me, it's second time round and it doesn't have the same excitement as the first time round.

slowpoke

Let’s be honest over the years from the day JH left we have been a very unsuccessful football club perhaps the most unsuccessful so for little old us winning the FA Cup was massive, in a way perhaps we have lived on that a bit too long but then why not it was our day.

Macca

The gap in decades obviously taints things, but the FA Cup is definitely the bigger achievement.

I don't see why we need to compare though. So many City fans now won't have even been born in 1987.

The only comparison really would be like for like.

And to be fair any younger forum members are viewing the FA cup as it is now which is a shadow of the national institution that it was. I maintain though it’s biggest game we’ve played. As an experience though for us who have seen both it’s impossible to compare the 2

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

It's so very close for me but having been lucky to experience that day at Wembley the FA Cup win just about edges it for me.

Our finest hour was the 1987 FA Cup, however it’s been banged on and on about, ever since. Rather than living off one moment in the sun to the death, we are now writing our own modern history.

I’m sure people at the time can comment further but I’m fairly sure winning the European Cup then was far above winning the FA Cup and it definitely is now.

bigfatronssba

In 66/67 season the club made history by getting promoted to the top flight.

In 70/71 season the club made history by qualifying for Europe.

In 86/87 season the club made history by winning the FA cup.

In 22/23 season IF the club get promoted to the top flight again it's just history repeating itself.

For me, it's second time round and it doesn't have the same excitement as the first time round.

Do you not think that promotion now would be more of an achievement than it was in 1967?

slowpoke

The FA Cup in those days was the biggest club competition in the world watched all over the football world. The European cup was big in Europe but unless an English team was in the final not sure it was as big as the FA Cup. The emergence of that great Barcelona team with the likes of Messi, Iniesta & Xavi certainly enhanced the competition.

fatso

Not better, but more important.

I think people are massively underating Luton, they are favourites for a reason, and I think this will be the biggest challenge we've faced this season.

nicksar

Winning the FA cup was fantastic for the Club and those of us old enough to have been there, prior to us winning it I used to watch it and all of the build up etc... after we won it I hardly ever bothered watching it.
I think for the younger generation of supporters Saturday is definitely the biggest game in the clubs history and to be fair winning this final will change things for the club in a much bigger way than winning the FA cup did.

CDK

Plenty of teams haven't won the FA cup promotion will happen and not dictated because we have a 2/1 chance.

the rumpo kid

Yes. The glory of the cup is undescribable, but the money from getting premier league status, could set the club rolling for 10 years.
Was there in 87 but I'm so much more nervous about this.
If we get this I think we can push on as a club, even if we don't stay up it will up us to repeat and go again.

PUSB.

rob9872

When we won the FA Cup it was the premier competition. Arguably as big as winning the league or even the then European competitions.

At this moment in time and not because it's us, this is far more important imo. I think the magic of the cup and the romance died with the birth of the premier league. Money, the champions league, the club world cup are all factors, but most prem clubs regard their respective ambitions of either staying up or finishing 4th ahead of the cup and hence play weakened sides. It's a shame, but does diminish the value and the prestige.

Macca

When we won the FA Cup it was the premier competition. Arguably as big as winning the league or even the then European competitions.

At this moment in time and not because it's us, this is far more important imo. I think the magic of the cup and the romance died with the birth of the premier league. Money, the champions league, the club world cup are all factors, but most prem clubs regard their respective ambitions of either staying up or finishing 4th ahead of the cup and hence play weakened sides. It's a shame, but does diminish the value and the prestige.

Couldn’t agree more. Along with the fact that playing at Wembley was such a massive thing for players and supporters. No one ever played down the park as a kid and pretended to score the goal that won the league

Torquay Sky Blue

Remember walking into Wembley in 87 and my mate turned to me and said "enjoy this, it'll never happen again" Very true until now. Because tomorrow goes pretty close and emotions will be running high.

withnail

Personally I’d never change or trade 87. Too much has happened, it’s steeped in memories and the people you shared them with, and every thing that’s happened since.
But ifyou offered me now, today, us tobe still in the championship but In the fa cup final or us in the playoff final with a chance to go top flight, it’s the playoff final all day long for me.
At this point in time I can’t think of any match in football I’d trade this for.

slowpoke

In 1988 my dad was in Whitley hospital struggling with cancer I was there when the doctor came round and my dad said not good is it doctor which he replied not very Tom, dad said well I’ve had a good innings and at least I’ve seen city win the cup, these were more or less his last words

baldy

To me this feels way more exciting & as important than the F.A cup - granted I only started following City after that final but this will elevate City instantly to the next level financially & status-wise

Users who are viewing this thread