"I'd relish playing with Clarke" - Goldie (1 Viewer)

CovisGod

DAVID McGoldrick says he’d relish the opportunity to play alongside Leon Clarke in what Coventry City fans would see as a dream League One strike force.

And the Sky Blues’ outstanding leading scorer revealed that manager Mark Robins has continued to try to convince him to stay at the Ricoh Arena with the prospect of such a mouth-watering partnership.

“The gaffer has spoken to me about Leon coming in and says he’d like me to play up with him,” said the on-loan Forest player, who sits out Saturday's match at MK Dons after picking up his fifth booking of the season on Boxing Day for whipping off his shirt as he celebrated his 18th goal in for the Sky Blues.

“He’s a good striker whose goal scoring record at Scunthorpe was better than mine at one stage with 11 goals in 13 or 14 games, which is a terrific strike rate in this league.

“To be paired up with Clarkey would be good but whether I am here or not I am sure he will score goals for Coventry.”

The excitement of Clarke’s out-of-the-blue arrival on Christmas Eve – on trial with a view to signing when the transfer window opens on January 1 – will, no doubt, be dampened by the inevitable conclusion that he’s been brought in to replace McGoldrick rather than complement him.

As much as City continue to stay in the reckoning for his services, the reality is that the New Year’s Day game against Shrewsbury at the Ricoh Arena will be almost certainly be his last for the club where he has re-ignited his career.

The players are as desperate for him to stay as the supporters but there is an air of acceptance in the camp.

“I spoke to David last week and he said he wanted to stay and that something could have been done but obviously something has gone on with the clubs which is out of Coventry’s hands,” revealed Sky Blues skipper Carl Baker.

“His agent is obviously getting involved and what will be, will be, but we can’t determine our whole season on him staying or going.

“It would be nice for him to stay and play alongside Leon but players go all the time in football, and if he does go then we’ll just have to see

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2012/12/28/david-mcgoldrick-boss-wants-me-to-play-alongside-leon-clarke-92746-32506543/#ixzz2GL0BoEag

Otis

His agent is obviously getting involved and what will be, will be, but we can’t determine our whole season on him staying or going.

You get the feeling that if the agent wasn't involved it would be so much easier for us to keep him here.

Sub

may be my dodgey memory but didnt somebody from CCFC say we do not deal with agents to save on costs???:thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

CovisGod

His agent is obviously getting involved and what will be, will be, but we can’t determine our whole season on him staying or going.

You get the feeling that if the agent wasn't involved it would be so much easier for us to keep him here.

Completely agree, he seems happy here and we love him. I've got a feeling its going to be more about what the agent wants than Goldie

Clingan didn't need his agent and relied on crab football to mess things up.

Agree on the other two. The Misfud episode was hilarious !

mattylad

I think its more likely that his agent has touted him about and Forrest now want more cash to match a rival bid or that they don't want to pay up a portion of the last six months of his contract if he does go (which the agent will be demanding they do)

ccfc92

Told him to wait for a premier league club to come in for him. That really worked out for him.....

Ahh ryt. The typical hype that players get after playing a good game once against a big team. Not saying mifsud isn't a good player. But how many times has someone playing in a league 2 side gets bought because they scored against a big team :/

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I wish players would not bother with Agents! Im sure in the olden days players coped fairly well without one so why can't they now?

Obviously you've got the greedy players who will want them to look for the highest paid clubs, but then im sure theres genuine players who get stopped from joining clubs where they'd get more playing time over money because of bloody agents!

Please stay David!

Mucca Mad Boys

I wish players would not bother with Agents! Im sure in the olden days players coped fairly well without one so why can't they now?

Obviously you've got the greedy players who will want them to look for the highest paid clubs, but then im sure theres genuine players who get stopped from joining clubs where they'd get more playing time over money because of bloody agents!

Please stay David!

They need an agent to cope with their busy lifestyles... :whistle:

hamil99

Facebook User
Ahh ryt. The typical hype that players get after playing a good game once against a big team. Not saying mifsud isn't a good player. But how many times has someone playing in a league 2 side gets bought because they scored against a big team :/

It was a shame what happened with mifsud. when he first came here he seemed a nice, level headed lad, good player (not premier league) with loads of pace. Then he scored a brace against united, his head swelled and that was it really. Now playing for sum team in Malta, must be conference to league 2 standard at best. Well done mifsud, well done...

hamil99

Facebook User

Please stay David!

I think the agent thing might partly be our fault. I'm sure they weren't really around till big jimmy hill broke the whole contract structure back in the day.

Chipfat

If he puts emotional aspects before the financial gains then we have a chance of signing him.. But like most footballers of his age he will sign to double his current contract, thank the fans and club and be off to pastures new. I think this loan will prove to be the best move he has ever made and one he will look back on knowing that it has enabled him to secure his family for life...

Good luck to him,, we could not of asked for more out of this deal in regards to the playing side, as for the money side!! well thats what the loan system produces, you become the advertisers in any sucessful loan agreement.

SkyblueBazza

Please stay David!

As so often happens...there was a time when there was a strict pay structure & players were ripped-off in terms of revenue they generated & what they were paid. Agents helped players get a fairer share - but eventually, by not very cleverly touting players about & insisting on that every player follow the biggest money as opposed to their heart (different motivations, but heart may well have a bigger impact on performance) brought about this environment where only the money matters.

westendunited

Now mccleish has taken over at forest I feel any hope of hanging on to DMG has vanished. Mccleish comes across as a shrewd man who will only do things his way. I'm sure DMGs achivements this year will have already caught his eye.

SkyBlue_Bear83

At the end of the day if he really wants to stay, he will stay. Mcgoldrick employs the agent, mcgoldrick is his boss with his own mind. Are footballers really that stupid they have to do what there agents tell them? If he wants to stay enough you would make it happen

skyblueinBaku

Are footballers really that stupid they have to do what there agents tell them?

Some of them are!

I agree with you, too often it seems that with players and agents it's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

torchomatic

"I'd relish playing with Clarke". So play with him then. It's in your power to tell Forest and your agent you'd like to stay.

may be my dodgey memory but didnt somebody from CCFC say we do not deal with agents to save on costs???:thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

That would be when searching for players, they have no choice if it is an actual players agent.

Brighton Sky Blue

"I'd relish playing with Clarke". So play with him then. It's in your power to tell Forest and your agent you'd like to stay.

This is what I don't get-unless of course he is using his agent as a cover instead of saying he has no intention of staying.

shoesmith81

I think Clarke will be a good signing. I thought Scunny's strike force were the best I had seen at the Ricoh this season.

I think DM will go. Would be very happy and surprised if he stayed!

I thought Scunny's strike force were the best I had seen at the Ricoh this season.

Agree with that but on reading Sheffield Wed, Swindon fans forums they all wanted rid siting that he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room. This will be a big challenge for Robins management ability. Robins obviously is well aware of Clarks history and credit to him on taking a chance on him.

Mucca Mad Boys

Clarke is no-where near as good as Goldie. If Goldie leaves, we wont go down dramatically but we're not going up either

I disagree, Goldie scores 0.76 goals a game, Clarke 0.73 a game (this season) and Clarke played for 23rd in the division. McG is better, suits us etc. but don't underestimate Clarke.

CCFCSteve

Regarding misfud, didn't his agent f*ck up a move to Bristol city which would've seen us get 1m and him around 10k per week. The greedy little shit !!!

georgehudson

we don't know who DM's agent is, but i'm sure he will be representing quite a few footballers,
the agents primary concern is to get the best deal he can,
for the footballer(alledgedly) & HIMSELF(i suspect no1),
it would be interesting to find out who this (agent) is ?
mind you trying to negotiate with the likes of sisu / f & w, must be like trying to herd cats

Sky_Blue_Vickie

That would be when searching for players, they have no choice if it is an actual players agent.

I think from memory it was also when young academy players were signing first pro contracts. Seem to remember there was an issue where a number had agents sniffing around and we said we wouldn't deal with agents in those circs - they either wanted a pro contract or didn't.

Can never really understand why some players follow their agents blindly. If I am looking for a new job I might use a recruitment agency but then I would deal with the interview process, discussing terms and basically deciding if and when to move. No one would make me go for an interview or choose whether I stay or move. Why do so many players act like they have signed away their right to have a choice - ridiculous!!

Users who are viewing this thread