I would back a new CCFC playing at the Ricoh.... (2 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

Almost resulted in a points deduction? Really? Any evidence?

It almost resulted in relegation, the points deduction was imposed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldstone_Ground

The sale of the club's stadium provoked two pitch invasions by angry fans in protest against it. A pitch invasion late in the 1995-96 season, when the Seagulls were relegated to Division Three, resulted in a suspended sentence of three points deducted and a game played behind closed doors for the club. A similar protest on 1 October 1996 in a league game against Lincoln City meant that a Football League hearing on 9 December that year saw them deducted two league points.[7] The club later appealed against the points deduction but their appeal was rejected, although ultimately they still managed to avoid relegation from the Football League by a narrow margin that year.

Evo1883

The sale of the club's stadium provoked two pitch invasions by angry fans in protest against it. A pitch invasion late in the 1995-96 season, when the Seagulls were relegated to Division Three, resulted in a suspended sentence of three points deducted and a game played behind closed doors for the club. A similar protest on 1 October 1996 in a league game against Lincoln City meant that a Football League hearing on 9 December that year saw them deducted two league points.[7] The club later appealed against the points deduction but their appeal was rejected, although ultimately they still managed to avoid relegation from the Football League by a narrow margin that year.[8]

torchomatic

Agree totally. The Ricoh would still be sitting empty. I wouldn't support a Phoenix club.

In my opinion a club at that level would be unsustainable at the Ricoh. Would need to start out somewhere like the Butts

mark82

Agree totally. The Ricoh would still be sitting empty. I wouldn't support a Phoenix club.

Phoenix club implies CCFC had folded, I guess you mean you wouldn't support a breakaway club?

I would myself but only if it was fan owned (at least 51%). This, for me, would be a way of supporting my team without the corruption and expense of modern football. I would still go to some CCFC games each season if they came back to Coventry. This would work for me but understand it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

torchomatic

Sorry, yes that's what I meant, a breakaway. No, it wouldn't be for me.

Phoenix club implies CCFC had folded, I guess you mean you wouldn't support a breakaway club?

I would myself but only if it was fan owned (at least 51%). This, for me, would be a way of supporting my team without the corruption and expense of modern football. I would still go to some CCFC games each season if they came back to Coventry. This would work for me but understand it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

stupot07

At the moment, I can't see myself supporting a Phoenix club unless ccfc ceases to exist or relocates permanently like mk dons in which case ccfc has ceased to exist.

We may still end up playing at the Ricoh and as Knowl suggests we should be putting pressure on both sides to come together to agree a mutually beneficial agreement that ensures we stay on cov.

Last edited:

Otis

No. While there is a Coventry City that will always be my club.

Would gladly watch a new football club while City are out of Coventry though.

mark82

No. While there is a Coventry City that will always be my club.

Would gladly watch a new football club while City are out of Coventry though.

I think that would always be everyone's club on here. A "breakaway" club could work in conjunction. Ask the 3000 FC United "Members".

Flying Fokker

The only team for me is Coventry City Football Club, I can't believe that there are people with such a low sense of loyalty to CCFC they'd support a creation of a new team or even a quasi Cov-Nuneaton team, with no history and in a worse state than our sky blues, unbelievable.

Not sure how long you have been going up SBT? But there has to be some closure on this whole debacle for me.

Maybe they are the optimists amongst us? I think the Ricoh will have a sport there. I only intend going to the Ricoh. I've supported City through the last 45 years and feel that the club is no longer ours. If a new team came to the Ricoh I would seriously consider going there. I will not travel to any location to see the city play other than in the boundaries of the city. There may be one or two surprises to come yet.

Flying Fokker

If sisu do a groundshare, I'm half expecting ACL to ask sphinx if they wanna use the ricoh next season, they're that desperate.

i was thinking that as I typed on this thread. What league are they in? It would make sense if they were nearer the conference but I think they would have to do a FCUM.

mark82

Not sure how long you have been going up SBT? But there has to be some closure on this whole debacle for me.

Maybe they are the optimists amongst us? I think the Ricoh will have a sport there. I only intend going to the Ricoh. I've supported City through the last 45 years and feel that the club is no longer ours. If a new team came to the Ricoh I would seriously consider going there. I will not travel to any location to see the city play other than in the boundaries of the city. There may be one or two surprises to come yet.

To make a point on SBT's point which you quoted - a new club would not/could not be in a worse position. It could/should be fan owned and would have no debt as opposed to £80 million debt. It would be in a lower league but certainly more healthy.

mark82

i was thinking that as I typed on this thread. What league are they in? It would make sense if they were nearer the conference but I think they would have to do a FCUM.

Sphinx are in the Midland Alliance. That is 4 divisions below the conference premier. An FCUM type, fan owned club is more realistic but they certainly wouldn't be able to even afford the running costs at the Ricoh.

mark82

No we wouldn't be supporting the real CCFC, I support the CCFC that won the FA Cup in '87 and the one in L1, not some pub team in a lower league than Nuneaton that has no history and no prospects.

You're incredibly naive if you think if a new Cov team was formed they be playing in the RICOH, how could a BSP N team (at best) afford the rent!?

Surely they wouldn't affiliate to a pub? That would be unlikely. You clearly know nothing at all about the non league pyramid.

mark82

Fair point, mate, but this new club could be run by the Trust! I imagine they'd do a lot better job than Sisu/Otium! We'd be able to vote on which manager we have, the players we buy, what colour kit we have, half time entertainment - all sorts!!! Just imagine the high profile managers and players we could get playing for us, even in non league! Simple! Or should I say "simples"!?!? LOL!!!

Not sure if you are taking the piss, but that is exactly right.

mark82

Is this sarcastic?

I think 100% fan-owned clubs are a thing for NL, there's a reason there's no 100% fan-owned clubs in the Prem or the FL (except Pompey? .....

Erm.... Wimbledon? Exeter City? Wycombe? Probably soon to be joined by Chester FC as they are rising rapidly.

Works pretty well in Germany too.

NorthernWisdom

Erm.... Wimbledon? Exeter City? Wycombe? Probably soon to be joined by Chester FC as they are rising rapidly.

Didn't know Wycombe were owned by fans, but anyway they're in serious financial trouble.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...anderers_face_High_Court_winding_up_petition/

Didn't work out for the likes of Lincoln and Notts County either.

Anyway, that's not to say a new team shouldn't be organised by the fans, of course it should, but once up and running they should always be looking to sell to the right people.

mark82

Remind me, where are all of those teams? Hardly supplements your argument.

In Germany, it's 51% fan-owned, my point was on 100% fan-owned clubs only.

Btw, when I said about the 'pub team', I didn't literally mean a pub team as in 'The Wallace', I was mocking the level of this 'new CCFC' would play in if they were formed, which would be BSP N at beat, 1 league below Nuneaton.

Yep, and that shows either a basic misunderstanding or a high level of arrogance. In fact, a brand new club would likely have to start in the Midland combination at least 5 divisions below Nuneaton (likely 7 leagues below in Mid Comb 2).

To be honest, I would rather my team is run responsibly and represents the community I'm in. If I wanted guaranteed premier league football I would support Man United. What I want is to support a team that represents my home community of Coventry. And what is to say a 51% fan owned team wouldn't be the ultimate aim anyway?

I guess at your age I would have been the same though. When you grow up (and I don't mean that disrespectfully as you are clearly intelligent) you may realise that blind loyalty isn't always the right thing. At the age I am now I'm not happy to continue to be disregarded by a bunch of jumped up wankers running/destroying my club. I have a strong enough moral compass to say that I don't agree with what they are doing and distance myself.

mark82

Didn't know Wycombe were owned by fans, but anyway they're in serious financial trouble.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/new...anderers_face_High_Court_winding_up_petition/

Didn't work out for the likes of Lincoln and Notts County either.

Anyway, that's not to say a new team shouldn't be organised by the fans, of course it should, but once up and running they should always be looking to sell to the right people.

Think that's a bit of a hangover from before they took over last year.

I think fans shoul retain a large stake in the club, that would present someone putting us in the pickle we are in now.

mark82

By the way, the 51% in Germany is a minimum. I believe Bayern Munich are about 80% fan owned and they won the champions league, so I don't believe fan ownership is an obstacle to success.

mark82

I wouldn't say blind loyalty, I just know that forming a new team would be pointless while CCFC still exists, it would take a minimum of 7 years to get to CCFC's league and thats after 7 promotions in a row and in some pretty tough leagues. Even FC United of Manchester haven't got to the FL league yet and they'd have a lot more fan potential than a new CCFC. Also, if we were to start 5 leagues below Nuneaton, how would this team afford the lease to the RICOH!? They wouldn't have nowhere near enough revenue etc. so this whole thread is pointless as a result. What half-intelligent person wants to start a new team 5 leagues below Nuneaton while CCFC still exists in L1!? :facepalm:

By accident or design, you've supplemented my initial argument, so, thanks.

As I've previously stated, unless subsidised by someone like ACL, the Ricoh is a non starter. Would be better somewhere like the Butts.

Users who are viewing this thread