I was there when..... (1 Viewer)

hopesprings

I was there when we scored a 99th minute equaliser in a game that didn’t go to extra time
Great topic and some lovely memories from you guys..as we are there tonight I was there when Frank Wignall broke Georges leg...the great man still amnaged a wave to the supporters as he went passed us on the stretcher ..John Tudor was brilliant that night from memory

clint van damme

Anybody on here go to the Bayern away game?

Such a shame we never got to do it in 1988.

Don’t think we will ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Think oldskyblue did, somone posted some tweets with photos from the game, (it might actually have been me!), and someone from here was in the photos, fairly sure it was him.

Happy_Martian

Fun memories and stories that I'd never heard. Thanks for this thread @Hutch11 and to all that have posted their remembrances.

I've got more (the "7-4 victory" against Man Utd at their place when all our goals were scored after the final whistle according to the Cov fans present, the Anfield "Battle of the Bellies" between Razor Ruddock and Quinny) but I'll make space for others to share.

#PUSB

torchomatic

Some bloke next to me at filbert street said whose that dickhead invading the pitch waving his arms around

Thats our manager (fortunately was not for much longer)
Ha, yes. I remember that day at Filbert Street. Lost 5-1 just before Christmas. When we got outside the ground, the police herded us away from where we'd parked out cars.

torchomatic

I was there when Lloyd McGrath scored. And when he broke his leg in the Simod Cup...
I was there when Lloyd McGrath scored. And when he broke his leg in the Simod Cup...

Me too. Waving at the crowd from his stretcher.

My favourite ever player and still have my badge. IMG_20220406_194404.jpg

thekidfromstrettoncamp

I was there That Sunderland night in 63 "Blaydon Races coming from their fans all night till George and Dietmar shut them up.2 days later joined queue for tickets at half past 1 for the Saturday(Man U) sale time should have been 5 pm.It was in Britannia Street 6 deep around the ground by then .The club started selling them at half past 3 got mine and was back home by 7 o clock .
Memory is fadeingI would have bet my life on the game being aTuesday night no Monday.That winter games were played whenever the grounds were playable (big freeze).We played 14 games in 42 days extra time in the second Portmouth F A cup game 3 in 5 days at Easter no subs then same teamalmost every game , fatigue was never mentioned.

slowpoke

And that Portsmouth game went to three games the third at neutral ground While Hart Lane we might have played that game Sunderland and Manchester United in a row as said above I reckon it was the same eleven for all three games.

torchomatic

Happy_Martian

Anyone else on here at Sutton?

Sutton 2-1 (FA Cup), Northampton 1-0 (FA Cup), Scarborough 3-0 (League Cup), Rochdale 1-0 (League Cup) ... yes, I was there when we lost away to lower league opposition. And to make matters worse, I was captured on TV dropping my head into my hands as Scarboro scored their 3rd and winning goal. Oh, and on the train back the next day, the ticket guard was a Villa fan. I loved that trip 😖😖

ovduk78

Sutton 2-1 (FA Cup), Northampton 1-0 (FA Cup), Scarborough 3-0 (League Cup), Rochdale 1-0 (League Cup) ... yes, I was there when we lost away to lower league opposition. And to make matters worse, I was captured on TV dropping my head into my hands as Scarboro scored their 3rd and winning goal. Oh, and on the train back the next day, the ticket guard was a Villa fan. I loved that trip 😖😖
I was at the 2-2 draw at Gillingham after being 2-0 up and the loss at HR in the replay, the 4-2 loss at Wycombe and the lucky 1-0 replay win at Woking.

johnb

Anybody on here go to the Bayern away game?

Such a shame we never got to do it in 1988.

Don’t think we will ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I went to Bayern away, possibly the youngest City supporter there aged fifteen. Still gutted I couldn’t get to Trakia Plovdiv away in the previous round.

The Great Eastern

Ha, yes. I remember that day at Filbert Street. Lost 5-1 just before Christmas. When we got outside the ground, the police herded us away from where we'd parked out cars.
I was in the main stand at that game with Linekers mate, Willie Thorne, sitting right behind me. All I seemed to hear was him chorteling every time Lest*h scored. Bobby Goulds walk onto the pitch wasnt seen by the ref thank Gawd.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was there when we lost the Simod Cup semi final at Reading. Given it was a nothing competition, the atmosphere was electric.

Last edited:

slowpoke

I went to Bayern away, possibly the youngest City supporter there aged fifteen. Still gutted I couldn’t get to Trakia Plovdiv away in the previous round.
Went to Trakia Plovdiv, Bayern was only a couple of weeks later and too expensive apart from losing two days again off work. My foreman hated ccfc with a vengeance. Northampton Town scuffer. 😧

torchomatic

I was there at Luton when Dion Dublin didn't bother to turn up for the team who paid his wages.

torchomatic

Who else was there for the first leg of the Anglo Scottish Cup? Wonder when we're going to play the away leg?

torchomatic

Felt like the longest but definitely the quietest drive home ever!

Remember going to Scarborough for a cup game and losing. That was a long drive home too.

skyblue1991

I was there when Elliott Ward tried giving it the big bollocks from the penalty spot against Southampton live on sky by trying to chip the keeper but messed up

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

I was there when Les Sealey came back to us on loan, and played his role as the pantomime villain to perfection.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I was on my way out of the ground when Jim Blyth saved the last minute penalty against Norwich. City won 5-4.

olderskyblue

I was there to see Best, Charlton & Law…. A few times

Users who are viewing this thread