I might just go and watch Wasps (4 Viewers)

D

Deleted member 4232

Watching Cov Rugby Club rise back to the top would be a far more rewarding experience. Shame our Council have so little faith in their own City teams. (I can't stand Rugby by the way)

Totally agree, but as your last statement secures - it wasn't just the council who have let down and forgotten CRFC.

D

Deleted member 4232

i sincerely hope they don't. anyone who boycotted sixfields and attends a wasps game is a hyprocrite in my eyes. As northern says, perhaps sisu ought to move us to belfast, its ok, not everyone over there supports Gaelic Football or cares if it is labelled 'franchise' so i'm sure they'll get behind sky blues fc

I don't think you realise how many people are excited for the move. Ive even spoken to london based supporters and whilst they're devestated in the move, they understand and hope the club thrives. They won't stop supporting, they will just watch more games on TV and travel for the big games

Moff

Unlikely, not now they have obtained a world class stadium for little outlay. The team on the pitch will only be one of there income streams.
Could have been us but those tossers SISU gambled and lost.

I think their income streams will be significantly less than what they are predicting, and revenue streams may be a lot tighter than they think. Their projections for attendances are akin to those of one Mr Fisher when we moved to Northampton.

Lets not forget that these are the same people that it is alleged who may not have been able to secure funding for the stadium until recently.

Ashdown

Not right now they don't. You forget not everyone in Coventry supports football, or cares if it is labelled 'franchise'. Like me, people are excited to see Premiership Rugby. The club, thankfully, have chosen to nest here in Coventry, where in time we will make it ours
Or until their entrepreneurial chairman decides to make some capital on that nice little real estate in CV6 and fuck off his franchise elsewhere ?!

Covstu

Wasps took advantage of a shit situation but I don't totally blame them. Rugby isn't my thing but this is something we all have to come to terms with as they are not going away. We need the other half of the ground and I think a partnership approach could be really effective. The council have really let us down which is the bit that sticks in my throat and hopefully this will negatively affect them when it comes to the polls.

italiahorse

Wasps took advantage of a shit situation but I don't totally blame them. Rugby isn't my thing but this is something we all have to come to terms with as they are not going away. We need the other half of the ground and I think a partnership approach could be really effective. The council have really let us down which is the bit that sticks in my throat and hopefully this will negatively affect them when it comes to the polls.

Can't see what else the Council could have done other than offer it to Sisu for maybe half the price Wasps paid.
Most Coventry ratepayers would be up in arms if that happened.
CCFC fans are naturally upset but it's happened and we need to get on with it.

Unsure about the Higgs share but we could do with the club obtaining it.

D

Deleted member 4232

Coventry City Council selling their Ricoh shares is the best thing they have done since resurfacing Evenlode Crescent. Finally they have not only washed their hands of a ridiculous soap opera with a football clubs owners, but they have ensure the survival of a great rugby club in Wasps and brought a great sustainable flow of sporting events to Coventry.

CCC should never have invested taxpayer money into the ricoh bail out. That's not what i pay them for. They certainly should not have entertained and danced this whole musical of shit-flinging that has panned out the last 2 years.

Now Wasps own the largest premiership rugby stadium, you can expect a better draw for international rugby matches, not to mention the european cup ties, and of course the premiership itself.

The cicus is leaving, and the real shows are about to begin.

EDIT- spelling

Moff

Coventry City Council selling their Ricoh shares is the best thing they have done since resurfacing Evenlode Crescent. Finally they have not only washed their hands of a ridiculous soap opera with a football clubs owners, but they have ensure the survival of a great rugby club in Wasps and brought a great sustainable flow of sporting events to Coventry.

CCC should never have invested taxpayer money into the ricoh bail out. That's not what i pay them for. They certainly should not have entertained and danced this whole musical of shit-flinging that has panned out the last 2 years.

Now Wasps own the largest premiership rugby stadium, you can expect a better draw for international rugby matches, not to mention the european cup ties, and of course the premiership itself.

The cicus is leaving, and the real shows are about to begin.

EDIT- spelling

When you say a great sustainable flow of sporting events to Coventry, are you just referring to Wasps games? as I cant see what else is coming.

Re international rugby matches, I do believe all the home nations have their own grounds so why would they come to the Ricoh?

As for a better draw for Euro games, they are drawn in a group and play opponents in it home and away. Playing at the Ricoh makes no difference to that, the stadium in that sense means nothing, nor will it when they are getting lower attendances than they currently do in Wycombe.

stupot07

When you say a great sustainable flow of sporting events to Coventry, are you just referring to Wasps games? as I cant see what else is coming.

Re international rugby matches, I do believe all the home nations have their own grounds so why would they come to the Ricoh?

As for a better draw for Euro games, they are drawn in a group and play opponents in it home and away. Playing at the Ricoh makes no difference to that, the stadium in that sense means nothing, nor will it when they are getting lower attendances than they currently do in Wycombe.

and they have to qualify in the first place.....i dont believe they're in the heineken cup this season. they only got 5.5k at home against falcons the other week....once the dust has settled i cant see them attracting that many fans for average league games.

i cant believe any real cov fan would be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a franchise rugby team....shows where their priorities and loyalties lie. I might start going to watch leicester tigers just to spite them...

Rusty Trombone

I think their income streams will be significantly less than what they are predicting, and revenue streams may be a lot tighter than they think. Their projections for attendances are akin to those of one Mr Fisher when we moved to Northampton.

Lets not forget that these are the same people that it is alleged who may not have been able to secure funding for the stadium until recently.

Who were the allegations coming from?

D

Deleted member 4232

I meant draw as in appeal. Ricoh did not cut the bidding selection previously when trying to secure the world cup matches - partly to do with no existing rugby club, i'm sure.

I do not think the attendances will be smaller than Adams Park. In fact, i'll put £20 on it right now that the first Ricoh league game will be Wasps highest league attendance this season.

Moff

I do not think the attendances will be smaller than Adams Park. In fact, i'll put £20 on it right now that the first Ricoh league game will be Wasps highest league attendance this season.

It may be. I would also bet that by the end of the season it will be a lot lot lower than that.

Como

How many options would CCC have for a major tenant for the Ricoh? My guess is that this was the first decent offer so they grabbed it.

shmmeee

How many options would CCC have for a major tenant for the Ricoh? My guess is that this was the first decent offer so they grabbed it.

Damn right! The Ricoh is a white elephant and the council has no business running sports arena and would never get another tenant.

Oh wait no. That was last months argument. I mean The Ricoh is a community asset and should've been protected.

Am I doing this right?

Users who are viewing this thread