I hope... (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybluetony176

I'm not sure that you actually understand football.

I understand it well enough to understand that when a manager is sacked in the championship and drops a league to rebuild his career it makes him a league one standard manager. When/if he gains enough success to either win promotion up to the championship or does enough to turn the eye of a championship club and moves up a league his standing as a manager goes up.

Now to me that is pretty obvious, it's the way things work. But when I said that certain posters jumped on me claiming I knew nothing and we have a premier league manager (which we clearly don't as we're simply not in the premier league and neither is he) then start leading the calls for him to leave not because they think he's to good to be at a league one club who's struggled the whole time they've been in the league save for the season said manager started with his own team both on and off the pitch, no. They're calling for him to go because he's not apparently good enough.

Consider that (if it's something that you're capable of) and then tell me who actually understands football. I don't claim to be an expert by the way but if what I've just pointed out to you isn't obvious then compared to you I probably am.

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

You're the one who embarrasses himself and threatens our own fans.
So who have I threatened?
I have been threatened many times but hey that's alright, good job I can control myself.
I have never used violence against a City fan in my life but hey make up what you need to to get your point across.

Manchester_sky_blue

Good managers still go through rough patches, what sets them apart from the bad managers is the ability to turn it around and oversee a thumping performance that sets the team back to winning ways. I think we have seen that today. Bury are a physical side and have numerous ex cov players in the ranks which is always the kiss of death. After our shitty form the last few weeks we could easily have got tanked today.... instead we won 6-0.

letsallsingtogether

It means nothing. It's the same as creaming yourself over Pressley at sixfields - oh in homage to the op and his poet laureate ability - Suxfields.
I remember you creaming yourself over sixfields better atmosphere etc etc etc

Irish Sky Blue

Some people have very short memories. We were desperate last season, absolutely awful. Having watched us for 49 years, I can never remember such dire, drab football and match days. Had it not been for TM we would now be in League 2 This season has been a breath of fresh air. We have a manager who knows what he is doing, a team who have not been out of the top six all season and who are playing some great football(with the exception of a few games lately). We are second top scorers in League One and have the fifth best goals against record. We have the leading scorer in this division and the second best goal difference. For the first time since relegation from the premier league we are having a sustained good season. Our attendances are up by something like 60%. No league gate has dipped below 5 figures. In those years since Premiership relegation we have had manager after manager. If we should have learnt anything it is that having a revolving door policy for managers doesn't work. I think the world has gone mad when so many on here, even usually sensible people like Otis, are saying this season is a failure if we don't make the play offs. Do we really want someone else in again because we finish lower than 6th? Only 2 of the team that started the last game of the season at Crawley, Fleck and Stokes, started today. TM has had to introduce almost a complete new team. I think he has worked miracles considering what he has had to do. Maybe some people need reminding that it took Jimmy Hill 2 and a half years to get us out of the old third division and he had a team playing in their own stadium and who were bankrolled by a very supportive chairman and board. Even JH would have people calling for his head these days.

usskyblue

Some people have very short memories. We were desperate last season, absolutely awful. Having watched us for 49 years, I can never remember such dire, drab football and match days. Had it not been for TM we would now be in League 2 This season has been a breath of fresh air. We have a manager who knows what he is doing, a team who have not been out of the top six all season and who are playing some great football(with the exception of a few games lately). We are second top scorers in League One and have the fifth best goals against record. We have the leading scorer in this division and the second best goal difference. For the first time since relegation from the premier league we are having a sustained good season. Our attendances are up by something like 60%. No league gate has dipped below 5 figures. In those years since Premiership relegation we have had manager after manager. If we should have learnt anything it is that having a revolving door policy for managers doesn't work. I think the world has gone mad when so many on here, even usually sensible people like Otis, are saying this season is a failure if we don't make the play offs. Do we really want someone else in again because we finish lower than 6th? Only 2 of the team that started the last game of the season at Crawley, Fleck and Stokes, started today. TM has had to introduce almost a complete new team. I think he has worked miracles considering what he has had to do. Maybe some people need reminding that it took Jimmy Hill 2 and a half years to get us out of the old third division and he had a team playing in their own stadium and who were bankrolled by a very supportive chairman and board. Even JH would have people calling for his head these days.

Great post.

skybluetony176

Well said that man.

Otis

Agree with a lot of that and I do think TM is the best manager we have had for a long time, but as you say, we have hardly been out of the top 6 all season (think it might be just one single game) and while that is a great positive, it could also highlight the exact problem if we now fail.

We have been top 6 and were 11 points clear of 7th.

The fact that we have been top 6 all season would just highlight the fact now that if we finished outside that would be failure.

As many have said, this season could be the best chance we will get to get out of this division.

I wouldn't want to see him sacked, but if we now finish outside the play-off places that will unfortunately prove to be a failure based on how this season has panned out.

No use harking back to how we felt pre-season, it's how we finish up now relevant to where we have been all season long.

Last edited:

Irish Sky Blue

Agree with a lot of that and I did think TM is the best manager we have had for a long time, but as you say, we have hardly been out of the top 6 all season (think it might be just one single game) and while that is a great positive, it could also highlight the exact problem if we now fail.

We have been top 6 and were 11 points clear of 7th.

The fact that we have been top 6 all season would just highlight the fact now that if we finished outside that would be failure.

As many have said, this season could be the best chance we will get to get out of this division.

I wouldn't want to see him sacked, but if we now finish outside the play-off places that will unfortunately prove to be a failure based on how this season has panned out.

No use harking back to how we felt pre-season, it's how we finish up relevant to where we have been all season long.

Even the fact that the future of TM is being discussed is total madness. Who was the manager who despite all of the problems he inherited took us to the top of the league, had us 11 points clear of 7th place and has his team playing such great football? You are judging him on the fact that his team played so well he raised expectation. JH would have been considered a failure therefore as his promotion winning team, 9 points clear at Christmas had dropped to 3rd or 4th by March. TM has seen 4 of his 5 centre backs ( Johnson, Willis, Martin and Turner) sidelined with long term injuries and he
has still gone out and found what seem 2 Apparent gems in the two boys who played today. What other manager since premier league days has been so shrewd in his transfer dealings, not rushing in but waiting until he has found the right player? Final question, who could you realistically bring in to replace TM who would be better?

Irish Sky Blue

It would seem to me that TM is being turned on because he gave us hope. If we had trundled along in 8th or 9th place all season most would say well done, exceeded expectations. Because we hit the top and played so well he is being castigated because we haven't sustained it.

lifeskyblue

I'm one of those who expected no better than half way this season. Then we started like a whirlwind...great results and the best football I've seen in years. I got carried away and honestly thought we were the best in the division. Then the injuries, the slump and the nagging doubt we might not make it. TM has tinkered a bit too much perhaps and made a couple of tactical mistakes BUT for me we are better with him (miles better) than if we didn't have him.
I'm happy my expectations now are for a possible play off rather than a possible relegation battle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

higgs

We have a good manager this was always a two year project so if we don't make it up this year it's not a failure this season is a bonus that we are challenging it's certainly wasn't expected by any of us. We are in the third division who could we attract that is a better manager than tony mowbray?

pw362

It means nothing. It's the same as creaming yourself over Pressley at sixfields - oh in homage to the op and his poet laureate ability - Suxfields.
When we started this season where did you think we would be in the league table in February that's all I'm asking

Grendel

When we started this season where did you think we would be in the league table in February that's all I'm asking

It's an irrelevant question.

Last February we didn't have Adam Armstrong, we didn't know we had a superstar player who would cause outrage that he wasn't sold for £10 million and we didn't have a player who apparantly still has premier league quality.

The bottom line is I don't expect a sharp decline in form post October and I don't see that as progress should it continue especially given that a lot of key contributors will not he here next season

This is not a two year project - it's one shot at promotion and if we don't at least make the play offs with the squad we have and the early form we had then it's under achievement.

usskyblue

Last February we didn't have Adam Armstrong, we didn't know we had a superstar player who would cause outrage that he wasn't sold for £10 million and we didn't have a player who apparantly still has premier league quality.

The bottom line is I don't expect a sharp decline in form post October and I don't see that as progress should it continue especially given that a lot of key contributors will not he here next season

This is not a two year project - it's one shot at promotion and if we don't at least make the play offs with the squad we have and the early form we had then it's under achievement.

It's not irrelevant. In the attempt of avoiding answering the question, you've actually exposed the fact that your expectations have risen with the teams' success.

Therefore, the answer is 'no, you didn't'.

Last edited:

Otis

Let's just see where we are at the end of the season, eh!

My expectation has indeed gone up. Pre-season I predicted 7th, but now we have been in the top 6 all season long, I do indeed expect us to finish top 6 and feel anything less will be a failure.

Failure simply based on being top 6 all season. Now we should be as strong as we ever were during the season, as we have now strengthened and pretty much everyone is now back fit.

Bit silly now though to be talking about this. It's all 'if's.'

pw362

On august 8th 2015 at kick off against Wigan where did you think we would be at the end of the season . That's all I want to know.

Brylowes

After what I've seen so far,and with 15 games to go if we win3 and draw 5 and end up
finishing 11th or 12th .I honestly can't think of anyone I would rather have in charge
next season than Tony Mowbray .The man is class,and we are very lucky to have him.

Lecko

I've not read the whole thread but... I think the majority of us with a brain would have taken this position if offered after the Crawley game! I think we have a got a bit greedy!?... and who can blame us! We've been starved of success for decades!!

Astute

Yes that's a more objective comment. If we can't make top 6 it's failure.

Don't you remember what you said to me before the start of the season when I said I fancied us to be top 6 this season?

Gazolba

One of the good things about Mowbray is that he has the stature to attract good players. I doubt whether we would have got Armstrong, Murphy, Kent, Cole, Cargill or Stephens without Mowbray at the helm. You remember the type of loanees we got under Pressley?

Otis

One of the good things about Mowbray is that he has the stature to attract good players. I doubt whether we would have got Armstrong, Murphy, Kent, Cole, Cargill or Stephens without Mowbray at the helm. You remember the type of loanees we got under Pressley?
Worst deal was the Wilson one, where we got Allsop, Coulibaly and McQuoid!

Astute

Was it 'You have the most beautiful eyes, do you want to meet up?'

More like 'You haven't got a clue Arsetute. How can a team that narrowly escaped relegation in the last game of the season end up near the top of the table the next season' And that is me being polite :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread