Match Thread Hull city (H) 16/3/22 (1 Viewer)

skyblue025

Hull don’t score goals and we contrived to make them look like a free scoring side

we obsess with 3 at the back even when we don’t have 3 centre halves. It was even more bizarre in the second half - they packed midfield abs strolled through the game

We concede first so many times you are never getting away with it all the time

Dire performance
Too be fair Sheaf was the best centre back tonight. It was dire though.

SkyBlueSoul

Just got back home, never a good drive after a defeat and especially one like that. One of those games where we collectively had an off night that just happened to coincide with a shit ref.

Thought Sheaf did well considering it’s not his position, couple of nervy moments but tbf he's used to receiving the ball 25-30 yards out not 6. Tonight was crying out for him to be moved forwards when we were tyring to get back into it IMO, no need for 3 CBs at that point. Just needed an extra body in midfield, especially one that would have been such a calming influence.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Sassy comments like that; you’re either a 13 year old (in which case it’s understandable) or not. I’m not sure, but I did previously think you more mature. I was wrong. Apologies.

Can’t blame a 22 year old Doyle that we had legends such as Kevin Kyle in the team but if you see that our mediocre league finishes were all down to him, then I disagree.

We lacked leadership tonight. Fadz gives a bit of that in marshalling the defence. That was absent. We need, to my mind, someone to be a midfield standard bearer.

We went to shit tonight in terms of cohesion, in my opinion. Godden as captain was a strange choice but looking around the team, who else? That’s the point.

Doyle did better for us, in relative terms, in his last spell with us. His guile and experience was vital in getting us out of L2. Younger players, it seems, looked up to him. At 22-25 (or whatever) in his first spell he didn’t have the gravitas that 500+ games and several promotion campaigns affords.
As soon as Doyle went up a level to league 1 in his second spell he became a burden. I do agree with you though that the team lacked some leadership tonight.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I thought there was Hawkeye in the championship since 2017? So I don't understand how it hasn't been given if it is truly over the line. It might be the angle on the picture which makes it look all the way over.
I was almost level with the goal so I had a great view of it and that crossed the line

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Match fixing at its finest last night fucking shite, piss poor the refereeing was worse than our performance which says something, this need to go to the EFL, get rid of this yorkshire twat

clint van damme

1 positive from last night's shit show.
No one hid, no one stopped looking to get on the ball even though we were dreadful in possesion.

Think that's it now, but to have stayed in the play off shake up this long equates to a decent season in my opinion

The recruitment needs to be spot on in the summer, we need numbers and quality, and we really need some more investment in the squad to achieve this otherwise I fear we will take our first backward step under Robins since he's returned.

larry_david

No one hid, no one stopped looking to get on the ball even though we were dreadful in possesion.

Think that's it now, but to have stayed in the play off shake up this long equates to a decent season in my opinion

The recruitment needs to be spot on in the summer, we need numbers and quality, and we really need some more investment in the squad to achieve this otherwise I fear we will take our first backward step under Robins since he's returned.
Jamie Allen hid all first half and Jordan Shipley touched the ball once in 20 mins and that was when he got in the way of someone hitting it long and it got him in the back of the head.

Sky Blue Harry H

Don't get this 'Jamie Allen hid' bit. I can get the game passed him by type comment, but the way Allen plays is literally based on a lot of running, not a Yakubu style standing around session.

larry_david

Don't get this 'Jamie Allen hid' bit. I can get the game passed him by type comment, but the way Allen plays is literally based on a lot of running, not a Yakubu style standing around session.
Everytime he got the ball he one touch passed it straight back where he came from. Never once tried to break the lines, never once made a bold move forward. In fact what sums him up and us up was a great tackle in the second half and then had 30 yards to run into but panicked and passed it straight to their player

skyblue025

The only investment will come from selling one of or God forbid all of the crown jewels. Brody said as much in his recent interview. We know M R will only get a small portion of the transfer fee unless there is a change in policy by SISU.

shmmeee

Everytime he got the ball he one touch passed it straight back where he came from. Never once tried to break the lines, never once made a bold move forward. In fact what sums him up and us up was a great tackle in the second half and then had 30 yards to run into but panicked and passed it straight to their player

Sums up our entire problem. We had some of the best passing accuracy and most passes completed of all the teams playing this game week, yet completely ineffectual.

Wether it’s movement up front or vision in the middle something needs to improve next season because right now we give every team a head start and are incapable of breaking teams down if they don’t come at us. That’s a shit combination.

Terry Gibson's perm

Sums up our entire problem. We had some of the best passing accuracy and most passes completed of all the teams playing this game week, yet completely ineffectual.

Wether it’s movement up front or vision in the middle something needs to improve next season because right now we give every team a head start and are incapable of breaking teams down if they don’t come at us. That’s a shit combination.

I don’t think at home the midfield get high enough up the pitch and at times last night they had one up front and we have three centre backs and Jamie Allen just in front looking after him.

Shipley came on for what it was worth and immediately dropped deep when we needed to push on, he really is the most useless sub as he can’t impact on a game quickly.

skybluegod

I was almost level with the goal so I had a great view of it and that crossed the line

I'm sorry but one person's eyes a few hundred metres away, against tried and trusted technology is hardly a great argument. And the video/angle we have on video isn't good enough to be sure. Unless Hawkeye was off then I'm inclined to think all of the ball wasn't over.

Frostie

Any thoughts on why we concede the opening goal so often? Great entertainment for the fan but long term eventually going to fall short @Esoterica @Frostie

Fantastic question & difficult to really give a definitive answer.

If you take a look back at the majority they are often early in the game & stem from an individual error or a failure to track a runner etc. (All 3 boxes were ticked last night!)

This is usually a mental issue in my opinion - lack of concentration, lack of positional awareness, lack of awareness of opposition movement etc.

fernandopartridge

Fantastic question & difficult to really give a definitive answer.

If you take a look back at the majority they are often early in the game & stem from an individual error or a failure to track a runner etc. (All 3 boxes were ticked last night!)

This is usually a mental issue in my opinion - lack of concentration, lack of positional awareness, lack of awareness of opposition movement etc.

Do you think that we try to come out of the blocks too quickly at times? We push hard for the first goal and perhaps switch off the other side of the game because of it?

shmmeee

I don’t think at home the midfield get high enough up the pitch and at times last night they had one up front and we have three centre backs and Jamie Allen just in front looking after him.

Shipley came on for what it was worth and immediately dropped deep when we needed to push on, he really is the most useless sub as he can’t impact on a game quickly.

We should have had Sheaf playing as a sort of forward sweeper and the midfield all up near their box. I didn’t get the tactics at all, it was clear early on we would be camped in their half.

Reactions: AOM

Terry Gibson's perm

Do you think that we try to come out of the blocks too quickly at times? We push hard for the first goal and perhaps switch off the other side of the game because of it?

I think you have to at home as these miserable teams start wasting time from the kick off so you have to try to get them behind.

Frostie

Possibly, although if it were that I'd think it would be more like we commit players forward & leave ourselves exposed that way when, at least in my opinion, most of ours are very basic defensive errors - Moore last night, ball over Rose's head v Luton, dreadful marking at long throw v Sheff Utd etc.

Frostie

We should have had Sheaf playing as a sort of forward sweeper and the midfield all up near their box. I didn’t get the tactics at all, it was clear early on we would be camped in their half.

No issue with the way we setup initially but, having gifted them a 2 goal lead, it was always going to be nigh on impossible to break down a team as well disciplined & organised as they were. We should have changed the system up early second half at least.

Grendel

Terry Gibson's perm

hull started on the offensive?

They wasted time from the second they scored, if you don’t score first and early it just becomes a bore of players such lying down and goalies lying down and taking ages over the goal kicks.

Grendel

They wasted time from the second they scored, if you don’t score first and early it just becomes a bore of players such lying down and goalies lying down and taking ages over the goal kicks.

they created 3 or 4 chances in the first 25 minutes

Philosorapter

I'm going to say it. Spatial awareness.

Great weighted pass into the gap between players. Get those compasses out.

Goal.1.gif

Last edited:

curly_tom

I missed the first twenty minutes and their goals. Moore at fault for the first, judging from the replay. Their second goal was a class finish but it all stemmed from Hyam's poor pass, right?

Otherwise I struggle to get the blanket negativity going on here. A bad result, but not that bad a performance.

I'm the most miserable Sky Blue there is, but our play was decent and entertaining. Hull put everyone back and we couldn't break them down but we were a level above them in terms of ability. Apart from Lewis-Potter they looked pretty limited.

It was manifestly a goal to us near the end. If technology either can't prevent or leads to those errors, what's the point in having it?

It's strange how people see the game differently. I thought that we were absolutely dreadful tonight, the worst I've personally seen all season and beyond. We gave the ball away to finish almost every attack, we had no direction, our attackers had nowhere to go, there was no movement off the ball, defensively we looked shakey against a crap team, all in all it was a well-deserved defeat. Not saying your opinion is wrong, just very different to mine...

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

How can we play so bad after Saturday

It has happened throughout the history of the club, beat a top team and then loes to a shit team.

slowpoke

I think we just have to put last night as one of those games giving a sloppy goal start and first half especially the team as a whole having an off day. Got to take into account the circumstances the senior management and coach all off sick leaving the team with a young inexperienced chap running it. Luke Tisdale doing a fine job with the U/23s but the first team is different gravy especially an under performing one that in my opinion needed the hair dryer treatment at half-time. As said one of those days.

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

I fancy us to bounce back against Derby, albeit they will have had a useful 24hr extra recovery time. On a side note, wasn't aware of anyone picking up any obvious injuries last night, so that's a bonus.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I fancy us to bounce back against Derby, albeit they will have had a useful 24hr extra recovery time. On a side note, wasn't aware of anyone picking up any obvious injuries last night, so that's a bonus.

COVID could wreck all that.

Users who are viewing this thread