Match Thread Hull (A) Friday 15th September (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Was with someone who said Haji Wright was away with the USA squad, but I hadn't read about that on here, and he wasn't named (in team or on bench) for their game the other day, so I'm guessing that he's wrong?

Sky Blue Harry H

View attachment 31810

If the Jamaicans aren't deemed fit to start, then it picks itself really. If they are then Thomas and Sakamoto miss out. Nobody else has done enough to take a starting shirt yet.
Has Kitching recovered then trained fully following his groin issue? If not, Binks may fill that position - also, wasn't Da Silva injured against Watford, so Bidwell may come in?

Hertsccfc

Think we’ll have less of the play and Simms is better defensively and has more pace. Godden has played every minute of every game. He can have a rest for an hour.
In what way do you think Simms is better defensively? Maybe for corners although I don't recall many defensive clearances? His work rate and covering is nothing like Goddens at the moment and I think that is part of the problem as far as Robinss is concerned (as well as the lack of goals of course).

I don't understand the desire to keep playing Simms at the moment. Godden and Wright look dangerous together and Simms seems to need some time to develop and fit into our system. I think it will be detrimental to him long term not to give him some time, rather than keeping him in the spotlight. I think Robins will follow a similar path to what he did with Gyokeres and give him time to develop before becoming a first team regular. I hope Simms responds in a similar way.

Hertsccfc

View attachment 31810

If the Jamaicans aren't deemed fit to start, then it picks itself really. If they are then Thomas and Sakamoto miss out. Nobody else has done enough to take a starting shirt yet.
I agree with this. I am not sure Sakamoto is a number 10 from what I have seen but I didn't go to Swansea. Ayari hasn't done enough to justify a start, and I think his substitute appearances have been a bit concerning.

TomRad85

I agree with this. I am not sure Sakamoto is a number 10 from what I have seen but I didn't go to Swansea. Ayari hasn't done enough to justify a start, and I think his substitute appearances have been a bit concerning.
Sakamoto was pretty good at Swansea I thought. They resorted to hacking him down at every opportunity. It does seem unclear how Robins plans to use him but I do think he's a good football player.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

Sakamoto was pretty good at Swansea I thought. They resorted to hacking him down at every opportunity. It does seem unclear how Robins plans to use him but I do think he's a good football player.

He was far more heavily involved in the goal at Swansea than KP has been in any of our others from open play

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

Sakamoto will be fine at 10. He’s like a championship David Silva!

shmmeee

In what way do you think Simms is better defensively? Maybe for corners although I don't recall many defensive clearances? His work rate and covering is nothing like Goddens at the moment and I think that is part of the problem as far as Robinss is concerned (as well as the lack of goals of course).

I don't understand the desire to keep playing Simms at the moment. Godden and Wright look dangerous together and Simms seems to need some time to develop and fit into our system. I think it will be detrimental to him long term not to give him some time, rather than keeping him in the spotlight. I think Robins will follow a similar path to what he did with Gyokeres and give him time to develop before becoming a first team regular. I hope Simms responds in a similar way.

I mean from set pieces. Even if not in the box we tend to play Godden as the one up and I think Simms would be better there too.

I don’t think he’s played badly, I just think he’s not played without another striker standing on his toes and would like to see him given a shot.

Gibbo

Sakamoto and Kitchen for the two Jamaicans would seem the logical thing. But having just conceded three goals at home and as we are up against good opposition, it maybe appropriate to be a bit more defensive.

So Kitchen and Sakamoto in, but also Kelly in for Godden and go one up front. Haji is big enough and ugly enough to do the lone striker thing and Kelly would would sit in front of the back three, leaving Sheaf and Eccles more time to push forward

We are not just missing Hamer, we are missing an extra body in midfield, Eccles & Sheaf are being overwhelmed

Yes I know I am dropping the top scorer, but horses for courses.

Hertsccfc

I mean from set pieces. Even if not in the box we tend to play Godden as the one up and I think Simms would be better there too.

I don’t think he’s played badly, I just think he’s not played without another striker standing on his toes and would like to see him given a shot.
I see the set piece point, but don't think he has played well, and he seems like one of those players who needs time. Let's see how he is after Christmas but to keep playing him now will be detrimental to his confidence and our results. Take out Godden out of this team and it is difficult to see us scoring many.

Perfectly willing to accept i might be wrong on this and he might go on a sudden scoring streak but he just doesn't look ready to play in this team to me.

shmmeee

I see the set piece point, but don't think he has played well, and he seems like one of those players who needs time. Let's see how he is after Christmas but to keep playing him now will be detrimental to his confidence and our results. Take out Godden out of this team and it is difficult to see us scoring many.

Perfectly willing to accept i might be wrong on this and he might go on a sudden scoring streak but he just doesn't look ready to play in this team to me.

You want to take him out the team for four months?? After a grand total of 220 minutes of league football?

Seems ridiculously harsh to me. If Godden had played the same minutes he’d have scored one. We’re five games in, it’s far to early to be making these kinds of decisions.

Before we write him off, I’d like to see him without Godden on the pitch, which we haven’t yet. And I think away in a game where we’re likely to see less of the ball and Godden would be less effective anyway is a good time to do it. Not to mention after two weeks of having your final squad together.

Hertsccfc

You want to take him out the team for four months?? After a grand total of 220 minutes of league football?

Seems ridiculously harsh to me. If Godden had played the same minutes he’d have scored one. We’re five games in, it’s far to early to be making these kinds of decisions.

Before we write him off, I’d like to see him without Godden on the pitch, which we haven’t yet. And I think away in a game where we’re likely to see less of the ball and Godden would be less effective anyway is a good time to do it. Not to mention after two weeks of having your final squad together.
I am not saying he doesn't play at all of course but just not starting regularly at the moment. It's not harsh and I think continually starting him and dropping your best goalscorer would place undue pressure on him. Other than maybe defending from set pieces I don't know what you think he would add to the team above Godden that would compensate for Godden's goals.

Gibbo

I bet there's not a other club in the cou try who have so many people suggesting they drop their top scorer, it's baffling.
Don't think about the names think about the formation.

We are only allowed eleven players on the pitch. We can't have 4 midfielders and 2 strikers so you have to take your pick. A stronger midfield is imho of more value than a second striker in an away game.

We could keep Godden at the expense of Wright, but I doubt Matt G is up to leading the line role

Hertsccfc

I bet there's not a other club in the cou try who have so many people suggesting they drop their top scorer, it's baffling.
Not only that but to replace him with a player who hasn't scored and isn't playing well.

Godden has consistently been a top Championship goalscorer yet some will never understand how good he is.

shmmeee

I am not saying he doesn't play at all of course but just not starting regularly at the moment. It's not harsh and I think continually starting him and dropping your best goalscorer would place undue pressure on him. Other than maybe defending from set pieces I don't know what you think he would add to the team above Godden that would compensate for Godden's goals.

I think he’d add goals and all round threat. His historic record is comparable to Goddens. Hell come good and minutes in his legs are worth more financially in the future than minutes in Goddens 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s one game. I’m not advocating Godden is taken out back and shot.

Hertsccfc

We are only allowed eleven players on the pitch. We can't have 4 midfielders and 2 strikers so you have to take your pick. A stronger midfield is imho of more value than a second striker in an away game.

We could keep Godden at the expense of Wright, but I doubt Matt G is up to leading the line role
Mate, it just might work but the idea of a midfield of Kelly, Sheaf, Eccles and Sakamoto doesn't sound too exciting and it is difficult to see too many goals.

Hertsccfc

I think he’d add goals and all round threat. His historic record is comparable to Goddens. Hell come good and minutes in his legs are worth more financially in the future than minutes in Goddens 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s one game. I’m not advocating Godden is taken out back and shot.
Simms might come good, but let's give him a chance. Dropping your top scorer and putting him in the firing line before he's had a chance to adapt to our style playing can't be right.

shmmeee

Simms might come good, but let's give him a chance. Dropping your top scorer and putting him in the firing line before he's had a chance to adapt to our style playing can't be right.

Who said he hasn’t adapted? That’s my whole point. He hasn’t played a minute without Godden next to him who wants to be in all the same places. Give the man room to breathe.

clint van damme

I'm not thinking about the names, I'm thinking about the stats, 4 goals in 5!
If the midfield needs to be strengthened/more defensive bring in Kelly at the expense of an attacking midfielder, though personally I wouldn't do that.

Gibbo

Mate, it just might work but the idea of a midfield of Kelly, Sheaf, Eccles and Sakamoto doesn't sound too exciting and it is difficult to see too many goals.
I don't think excitement is what we want. A good away point against a form team will do

AOM

I'm still not really convinced Sakamoto is a wing back, and think he might be suited more to that attacking midfield role but still early days.
Hopefully gets another run out in that position if Palmer is unavailable

Hertsccfc

Who said he hasn’t adapted? That’s my whole point. He hasn’t played a minute without Godden next to him who wants to be in all the same places. Give the man room to breathe.
Well if they both want to do the same thing (I don't even agree with that) why not play the one who is scoring and playing well rather than the one who isn't?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Wilson
Thomas Fadz Kitching
MVE Eccles Sheaf Dasilva
Sakamoto
Wright Godden

Collins, Bidwell, *Lati, Binks, Howley, Kelly, Ayari, *Palmer, Simms,

SkyBlueSoul

Do we know if Hull are likely to have any first teamers rested/missing for this?

pusbccfc

Looks like McFadzean is at a funeral on Friday in Sheffield according to his Instagram.

Users who are viewing this thread