How optimistic are you feeling about next season? (1 Viewer)

Samo

I'll be optimistic once I see some financial movement on the pitch. We need a whole new attack and defence and we've only seen one player come in while many of our Championship rivals have already signed several promising players each.

And many more of our rivals have yet to sign anyone.

mmttww

I trust mark and Adi massively

I don’t trust DK yet, that’s the point. Keep Gus Doug and invest 10 million of 20 odd on beefing up the squad, then you’ll have my support.
This is my feelings on it, except I'd be OK with spending £5-6m in fees if we bag a couple more solid frees similar to Da Silva and find a couple of loans as good as McNally and BNC. Feel like we can bag two players to make the first XI better with that outlay. Maybe keep a few quid in the back pocket if we need a boost in Jan rather than blurting all of the cash budget in the summer.

Relies on two from the U21s filling-out the squad e.g. Rus and Obikwu. We need numbers at the back and have no one that seems to be ready from the U21s to cover that area, so that's my only worry. Started last season short at the back and got lucky that Doyle was so good, and Fadz won't last forever. If we don't have two permanent CBs sorted fairly soon I'll start to lose optimism.

Edit: think we'll get the same points or a couple more, but finish a bit lower. Progress, but different outcome.

Happy_Martian

Fair comments

let’s see who we bring in, I’m not doubting the massive improvements in the commercial side of the business and didn’t actually have a problem with him increasing ticket prices in line with other championship clubs.

Again, sorry to focus on your words, Matt. I'm using your comments as placeholders for a lot of similar things I hear from other people. Nothing personal :)

just because I’ve said I don’t trust him yet, this is mainly down to on the field matters. As off the field he does seem to be making significant improvements.

Is this a fair expectation of this or any other Chairman by fans ? He hires and fires the Team Manager. But how much is DK involved in on the field matters ? Does Delia Smith run the squad over at Norwich ? Okay, we know the Watford guy probably does, he practically picks the side (maybe a reason why they've had x-teen managers in the last few years). DK is the clubs owner, not the squad manager. We were all happy with the squad in April and May. So what has changed ? The only aspect I can see is that we were all deflated when we didn't get promoted. Transfers have been on hold since as the window has been closed. And clubs and players and their agents have been on holidays so we haven't had a mass flurry of incomings, except Jay DaSilva who by all intents was agreed before the end of the season. DK has told Vik to calm down, he seems to want to keep our main asset or sell at a price that is beneficial to ourselves. Otherwise, its down to MR and AV (and our newly installed scouts and recruitment team) to resolve the squad.

Again, what more could DK do now within his ability and remit to improve fans trust and get them behind him ? I genuinely can't think of anything. I'm sure if DK drove around with free beer kegs (and a King of Shaves Premium Pack :unsure:🥴) for all fans, some would still be unhappy that the beer wasn't cold enough or not their label 🍻

I would love to see the fans and the club united going into the season. But recent forum threads have already shown dissenting voices about this, that and the other.

(Wonder if his brother reads this forum so he can pass on that I sound like I'm doing DK's PR :p Is that a paid role ? 🤪 )

@Nick, does this forum software have a filter to limit the number of words/characters per post/reply ? I need to stop typing so much 😶

Matt smith

Again, sorry to focus on your words, Matt. I'm using your comments as placeholders for a lot of similar things I hear from other people. Nothing personal :)

Is this a fair expectation of this or any other Chairman by fans ? He hires and fires the Team Manager. But how much is DK involved in on the field matters ? Does Delia Smith run the squad over at Norwich ? Okay, we know the Watford guy probably does, he practically picks the side (maybe a reason why they've had x-teen managers in the last few years). DK is the clubs owner, not the squad manager. We were all happy with the squad in April and May. So what has changed ? The only aspect I can see is that we were all deflated when we didn't get promoted. Transfers have been on hold since as the window has been closed. And clubs and players and their agents have been on holidays so we haven't had a mass flurry of incomings, except Jay DaSilva who by all intents was agreed before the end of the season. DK has told Vik to calm down, he seems to want to keep our main asset or sell at a price that is beneficial to ourselves. Otherwise, its down to MR and AV (and our newly installed scouts and recruitment team) to resolve the squad.

Again, what more could DK do now within his ability and remit to improve fans trust and get them behind him ? I genuinely can't think of anything. I'm sure if DK drove around with free beer kegs (and a King of Shaves Premium Pack :unsure:🥴) for all fans, some would still be unhappy that the beer wasn't cold enough or not their label 🍻

I would love to see the fans and the club united going into the season. But recent forum threads have already shown dissenting voices about this, that and the other.

(Wonder if his brother reads this forum so he can pass on that I sound like I'm doing DK's PR :p Is that a paid role ? 🤪 )

@Nick, does this forum software have a filter to limit the number of words/characters per post/reply ? I need to stop typing so much 😶
Give me an hour to read this then I’ll get back to you 😉

Matt smith

No worries though HM

the on field matters comment was more to do with the financial aspect of replenishing the squad and whether MR is given some funds to strengthen.

my main point is he can’t say he wants play offs 3/5 seasons and continuously expect robins to do it on a shoestring. I’m not asking to spend ridiculous amounts, just say if Gus wants an extra x amount a week, give it him. In addition spend 40-50% of player sales.

we’ve done our bit in renewing at increased rates, know let’s see if he gets it right this summer

Speedie's Head

I think a lot depends how well manage replace Tyler and Wags (as well as Vik). I think this is largely being forgotten amid all the turmoil but it will take up a big part of the available resources. I don't know who is bing targetted but would they come and for the wages that we want to pay?

Ccfcisparks

I think a lot depends how well manage replace Tyler and Wags (as well as Vik). I think this is largely being forgotten amid all the turmoil but it will take up a big part of the available resources. I don't know who is bing targetted but would they come and for the wages that we want to pay?
For the role that they both played last year, I can imagine signing a replacement to do their role would not cost a lot...

skybluestub

At present, I'm fearful of a bottom half finish, which will be a shame to hamper our current trajectory of improving year on year.

However, it's not even the end of June yet, there's still plenty of time for recruitment. I suspect we'll see some transfer activity over the next couple of weeks. Obviously (as I've mentioned on other threads) I'd love us to retain Gus, but fully expect Vik to go. The current defence options are a major concern. I think we need a minimum of 8-10 signings across the squad to compete for top half or even be playoff contenders.

Last year has probably left us fans with higher expectations for this season than we would have had if we'd have missed playoffs. The window is crucial given how competitive the league it. Let's wait and see. Exciting summer ahead.

Greggs

At present, I'm fearful of a bottom half finish, which will be a shame to hamper our current trajectory of improving year on year.

However, it's not even the end of June yet, there's still plenty of time for recruitment. I suspect we'll see some transfer activity over the next couple of weeks. Obviously (as I've mentioned on other threads) I'd love us to retain Gus, but fully expect Vik to go. The current defence options are a major concern. I think we need a minimum of 8-10 signings across the squad to compete for top half or even be playoff contenders.

Last year has probably left us fans with higher expectations for this season than we would have had if we'd have missed playoffs. The window is crucial given how competitive the league it. Let's wait and see. Exciting summer ahead.
People keep saying "exciting summer ahead". Summer is over soon mate.........

skybluetony176

It’s a bit early to say really. I think we need to be mindful that we overachieved to some degree last season. The league doesn’t lie but points required to make the playoffs was quite low last season so in another season we would have been one of a handful of teams that would have just fell short of the playoffs.

I don’t expect us to be a bottom half of the table team but until we know our best 11 once the window closes it’s hard to say we’ll go one step up again as we have all previous seasons under Robins. If we hold onto Hamer and get to spend the Vic money whatever that ends up being on the team then I don’t think cautious optimism should be ruled out.

So long as we don’t get relegated I’ll be mostly happy.

hill83

IMG_4345.png

slowpoke

Think we should come back to this in a month, players will have been signed, a whole defence, a striker maybe two & possibly another midfielder. I think if MR gets his signings correct we should have better players and a stronger squad we can do better than last season.

Happy_Martian

Well, the Beeb are ahead of themselves already. If we finish like this, I'd be extremely happy :p

1687528180669.png

Garlana86

Losing our loan players who were starting to gel and grow in the team is really frustrating and means that we have to play the game of loan roulette again this season, with the hope we get lucky. Im already resign to the fact that our two best attacking players will be going and i believe that even with that money from their sales that players like Gus and Vik are irreplaceable at this level, especially with how competitive the league looks this year. I guess my pessimism will change closer to the start of the season when we have a much larger squad, because i cant help but think that we dont have a lot left as it stands (with the assumptions on vik/gus made above).

Onto the positives though, Robins and Adi will have a plan and know how to get the most out of what little they have comparatively to the other teams, thankfully im content that this is something we dont have to worry about and that many other clubs do. Doug has spoken well and at least to me appears to be wanting whats best for the team.

In summary, optimism isnt too high just yet with so much uncertainty - but a few decent incomings over the next week or so will certainly rest my mind at ease.

Ccfcisparks

Losing our loan players who were starting to gel and grow in the team is really frustrating and means that we have to play the game of loan roulette again this season, with the hope we get lucky. Im already resign to the fact that our two best attacking players will be going and i believe that even with that money from their sales that players like Gus and Vik are irreplaceable at this level, especially with how competitive the league looks this year. I guess my pessimism will change closer to the start of the season when we have a much larger squad, because i cant help but think that we dont have a lot left as it stands (with the assumptions on vik/gus made above).

Onto the positives though, Robins and Adi will have a plan and know how to get the most out of what little they have comparatively to the other teams, thankfully im content that this is something we dont have to worry about and that many other clubs do. Doug has spoken well and at least to me appears to be wanting whats best for the team.

In summary, optimism isnt too high just yet with so much uncertainty - but a few decent incomings over the next week or so will certainly rest my mind at ease.
I think McNally will be back and Hamer will stay. Just an inkling.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Impossible to predict until the window is over as it entirely depends on who we bring in.

But if both Hamer and Gyokeres do indeed depart I very much doubt we'll finish in the top half of the table.

slowpoke

Well apparently McNally is available if only on loan be interesting to see if we do anything about that.

Hobo

We have cleared the decks a bit which needed doing. It will depend on who we bring in - so too early to be optimistic but also so too early to panic and be gloomy.

Godiva

We will start the season with a lot of new players and a really tough first 4 fixtures, so I guess we will struggle in the first half and hopefully have a good second half season.
As Tony said - we overachieved last season and the points needed for a playoff finish were low.
If we finish 12th I will be happy.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Way too early to say with any conviction yet, depends massively on how we strengthen after losing at least one of our best players (probably). I've been encouraged by some of the players we have been linked to but at this stage they're obviously just rumours.

Any repeat of a top 6 finish would be incredible, im braced for a bit of a fall-off at present and think top half would be decent. I could well change my view on that after seeing what business we do over the summer though.

SkyblueTexan

Currently I’m not optimistic about next season. Of the players we released, I thought Rose might’ve been retained. Now we could be in a tougher league with a threadbare squad. When you cannot even sign a L2 player, I’m not sure how optimistic to be.

SlowerThanPlatt

Currently I’m not optimistic about next season. Of the players we released, I thought Rose might’ve been retained. Now we could be in a tougher league with a threadbare squad. When you cannot even sign a L2 player, I’m not sure how optimistic to be.

The Wrexham player was a rumour started on a forum, no one from either side who would know has said we are even interested

Users who are viewing this thread