How old were your kids.... (1 Viewer)

CovisGod

My Daughter is 6 this year and I've bought her a season ticket for the first time, she loves her footy, watches it on the telly with me all the time and is a proper Daddy's girl. I've never taken her to a live match before as I thought at 4/5 she was a bit too young, she's very grown up for her age and I honestly believe she'd love it. So my question is, at what age did you start taking your kids to the footy ? I was the same age as my Daughter is now when my Dad started taking me so I can't see it being a problem.

She's even started wearing my Cov shirts from when I was her age bless her !

DC7FF28A-E6CB-4B0E-A5D8-DC3CB467AED6.jpg

Monners

My daughter was about 6 I think and nephew 7 - worked out ok - but being near the pitch helped I think. My 9 year old lad isn't that interested enough to go yet (had a ticket for the Donny game but changed his mind - he knew something was in the air that day perhaps)

torchomatic

My lad was three when he had his first ST, but really only started paying attention when he was around five and a half.

Ashdown

Yeah I took all 3 of mine from about 6 years old, much younger and they lose interest too quickly.

coop

I took my two at 4&6 the 4 year
old spent more time under the seat and has lost interest in going and doesn't support any team but my oldest loves going up with his mates now.

cov4theprem

My lad is 7 and enjoys going, but takes his tablet and usually plays on that for 1/2 hour of match. My 5 year old daughter enjoyed the Gillingham game but was too young really to get to grips with it. An example of this is that even now she still sings 'Steven Pressleys sky blue army'.

westofrayne

My lads first game was when he was 6 weeks old, although he claims he doesn't remember much!! I took him again at 5 YO to a night match in West End, amazing to see his face, never forget it. pic os from a few years ago in Cov at FA Cup display in the art gallery, he refused to smile for the camera though
attachment.php

The following season he had a ST in East Stand with me and a few other family members. My Daughters first away game was Col U away (won 5-1) and as we live down here, know a few people and got her on as Guard of Honor, and pics on the bench just before KO. Her first ST was when she was 6 as well, but by then it was the Ricoh, there were 6 of the family in the North stand then, only 4 of us left at the end of last season. (Blonde one)
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

One final one of her with Sam

attachment.php

Attachments

• missy.jpg
    missy.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG00213.jpg
    IMG00213.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG00200 - Copy.jpg
    IMG00200 - Copy.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 20120407_114923.jpg
    20120407_114923.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG00325.jpg
    IMG00325.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

ohitsaidwalker king power

7- ... he went a few times before "buying " a season ticket for him.. even then sometimes he missed games others not... I wondered if he came to games with me in part out of sentiment, family legacy etc.... and then at MK 2 years ago- cheered on by 7000+ sky blues I saw it... in his eyes when MacGuires free kicks sailed in.....his eyes 'lit' with sheer joy... he'd been bitten by the sky blue bug.. now we go to every home game and when we can away too. The bond it has created between he and I, (in recent very trying circumstances) is immeasurable-they aint the best team in the world.. but to us they are.

Manchester_sky_blue

My lad is only 2 and no way would he be able to sit through 90 minutes of football and i doubt I would see any of the match either.

I have a more serious dilemma though, should I "inflict" the sky blues on him? We now live at the northern end of the Peak District (just about in Derbyshire but on the edge of Greater Manchester) and my Son was born there. He has no real connection to Cov, other than through me and I don't know whether its right to want or expect him to follow CCFC. That said the thought of him supporting Manure or Man City makes me physically ill. To be honest id rather he grew up supporting the local non-league side.

PTA

My lad is only 2 and no way would he be able to sit through 90 minutes of football and i doubt I would see any of the match either.

I have a more serious dilemma though, should I "inflict" the sky blues on him? We now live at the northern end of the Peak District (just about in Derbyshire but on the edge of Greater Manchester) and my Son was born there. He has no real connection to Cov, other than through me and I don't know whether its right to want or expect him to follow CCFC. That said the thought of him supporting Manure or Man City makes me physically ill. To be honest id rather he grew up supporting the local non-league side.
If his first game's a Coventry game he will probably just become a sky blue like I did.

Suffolkskyblue

I got my 2 season tickets when they were 5 and 9. Both ardent Sky Blue supporters still, one has a season ticket despite living in Kent. The other gets up when he can also from Kent. They're 29 and 25 now, once they get the bug they'll be hooked for life!!

letsallsingtogether

Took both of mine when they about 3.
Unfortunately my daughter who is now 25 and my son who is 20 no longer go:(

Bill Glazier

I too permanently scarred my son (now 29) by taking him from about 6. Young kids don't know how to look at a game at first and it was only a few years later that he admitted he never actually saw a goal for that first season, but he'd loved it nevertheless.

Manchester_sky_blue

I think its just because i never went through that experience. My Dad's not a football fan so he never took me to a game. He dragged me to the speedway, to F1 races, MotoGP, BTCC and any other motorsport you can think of but never the football.

oscillatewildly

My daughter was a babe in arms when I took her to City's penultimate game at HR (I entered fatherhood late and have added since!)
She'll have no memory of course, but I wanted to take her just in case she turned out to follow City. She also went to the first game at Ricoh a few months later. My reasoning was that it would be something of a 'momento' for her. She attended, with me and the now ex for a handful of games after, but there was a long gap until she went again when I took my then 13 month old boy to the Bristol City home fixture last season. Again, he will have no recollection, but he did have his pic taken with both Oggy and Sky Blue Sam. There is a little more serious intention attached with taking my boy - I now live in Sutton Coldfield, and he was born (takes a gulp) a Brummie.
It's a bit of a blow in all honesty Brian, but nothing a bit of tippex on a birth certificate can't sort out. Given our location, he's gonna have his head turned as he becomes familiar with footer. I can see a potentially traumatic time ahead for me but I promise to fulfil my duty.
I didn't attend my first game until I was almost 9 y o. I've jokingly ribbed my Dad over the years that I should have been taken younger (even tho it was his final season with us, I never saw Bill Glazier in goal)
Kids react differently to their first match outings, but I would definitely take your 4 y o. Based on my own 'late' first attendance, she will only thank you in years to come, Surely?

Otis

Took my daughter when she was 4. She's been 3 times in total and just has not liked it one little bit.

stupot07

Took my eldest to a pre season friendly at 3, and my youngest came regularly this season at 4 years old. Spends most of the time eating sweets and playing angry birds on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Bob Latchford

About 3. took him to Ryton too for the youth games. bought all tops merchandise etc over the years.

torchomatic

Absolutely, beautifully summed up. There has been a lot of shit thrown around on here by certain people regarding supporting the team whether they were at the Ricoh or at Sixfields, but my son is the same as yours. He lives and breathes CCFC; for him Fleck, Johnson, Maddison et al are more important and more heroic that Ronaldo or Messi will ever be.

They may not be the best team in the world. They may not have the best owners or the greatest players but he loves them more than anything and he always will.

they aint the best team in the world.. but to us they are.

skybluedan

My Daughter is 6 this year and I've bought her a season ticket for the first time, she loves her footy, watches it on the telly with me all the time and is a proper Daddy's girl. I've never taken her to a live match before as I thought at 4/5 she was a bit too young, she's very grown up for her age and I honestly believe she'd love it. So my question is, at what age did you start taking your kids to the footy ? I was the same age as my Daughter is now when my Dad started taking me so I can't see it being a problem.

She's even started wearing my Cov shirts from when I was her age bless her !

DC7FF28A-E6CB-4B0E-A5D8-DC3CB467AED6.jpg

You been eating shredded wheat mate because I think you still got some on your chin ? Great pic though man and yeah 6 is about right for your first footy

covmark

Took my boy when he was 4, he's now 10 and has been to a few games with me since. Unfortunately he's turned into a Liverpool fan now. Something to do with Sturridge being his favourite footballer. I've tried beating it out of him but to no avail. :(

Covcraig@bury

My daughter was 3 years old . 1st game at the Ricoh against QPR. She knew the sky blue song , I was so proud . NOW she hates Sisu and football , I ask myself , what went wrong ???

skybluetony176

I can't get my eldest interested but I talked the youngest into going to a game last season at 5 and she was perhaps a little too young. It was the Yeovil game so at least we won. She loved the first half but her face dropped when she realised we were stopping for the second half. But all of a sudden and without prompting she's asking to go again and wants a shirt, she's also started after school football club again by request rather than prompting so it looks like the shoots are growing from the seed planted last season.

So the plan is to get matching shirts and go to the first home game assuming we're not on holiday, if not the second and see where we go from there. Hoping she shows enough interest to make it worth becoming a JSB I'll get one of the ticket packages rather than a season ticket and we can do plenty of Saturdays together. Fingers crossed.

steveo1987

My lad is coming into his third season as a season ticket holder and JSB member and is now seven, absolutely loves it and loves football in general.My dad took me for the first time as a five year old in 1973 and I've been going ever since.My lad is going to suffer the same as me! !

Sky_Blue_Daz

My daughter was 4 it was the season we drew 0-0 with wolves when Leon Best collapsed in the tunnel
My daughter wasnt impressed with the game infact the highlight of the day was the chips at half time

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Don't have kids myself but think I was probably 6 or 7 for my first game. Couldn't tell you who it was against or the result mind :D

First away game was Spurs away. Can't remember the year, but recall getting the ticket for my birthday, which is April so looking back it might have been 1998, although think I was older than 10, so more likely to have been an early birthday present in 2001 when we lost 3-0.

skybluesam66

cov reserves 4 derby reserves 1
dont remember any of the goals - or which year - but would love somebody to give me more details of that one 1972ish

Users who are viewing this thread