How many different players have played this season (1 Viewer)

SBAndy

don’t agree Moore vs Morosi - really?
Can’t see it being much below £17 million at all and it’s certainly no worse than Luton - our issue is many players in tbe first team squad are really sun standard abs aren’t considered

Definitely won’t argue with you on the large bulk of squad players being sub-standard. I think we had quite a large squad at the start of the season but players like Dacosta, Hilssner, Jobello, etc. were really just using up squad places that others could have filled more adeptly. Also didn’t think we needed 4 first team strikers coming into the season.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Definitely won’t argue with you on the large bulk of squad players being sub-standard. I think we had quite a large squad at the start of the season but players like Dacosta, Hilssner, Jobello, etc. were really just using up squad places that others could have filled more adeptly. Also didn’t think we needed 4 first team strikers coming into the season.

To put it into perspective I think between Hillsner, Walker, Pask, Drysdale, Kelly, Shipley, Dacosta and Jones you could quite comfortably bring in two, perhaps even three, first team players on reasonable salaries.

Grendel

To put it into perspective I think between Hillsner, Walker, Pask, Drysdale, Kelly, Shipley, Dacosta and Jones you could quite comfortably bring in two, perhaps even three, first team players on reasonable salaries.

hillsner is on £4,000 a week

Grendel

Yeah, I can imagine all those mentioned above are costing the club around £25k pw, give or take a couple of grand.

before the signing of waghorn wasn’t Walker on the highest contract - they must be at least that beteern them

Finham

Important that we don't try and bulk up our squad with too many that are not going to have an impact (Kastaneer, Hilssner ...add your own entries) and have less, but with better quality (easier said than done, as without European players, the market has shrunk, so more competition) For every success (Kane?) there's a potential failure (Walker?) Not an easy path to tread. Next summer will be interesting.
Or, it will be boring like every summer and we'll log on here 20 times a day to read made-up bullshit rumours!

Grendel

There is no model here it’s a myth. The fact is Sisu have relied on selling players to find a budget at all. Of course that’s normal but we have solely relied on academy players to provide those fund

Our ability to sign players and make profit has been woeful. Other then Mcallum there has been no one and now we have to sell actual first team players hope to find replacements for less and then buy more on top with the funds the club are allowed to have

Sky Blue Harry H

Our ability to sign players and make profit has been woeful. Other then Mcallum there has been no one and now we have to sell actual first team players hope to find replacements for less and then buy more on top with the funds the club are allowed to have

McCallum was a first team player who we did that with.
You are saying we are going to have to do that again with first team players
If we sell Hamer for say £5m, then it will be doing what you said we have failed to do,
Similar with O'Hare, Gyok,
Surely what you are saying we have been bad at looks like we will have got a lot better at?
Only the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc are likely to sign players who don't make the first team, yet get sold for a profit - hence the PL clubs signing up all the young potential.

KenilworthSkyBlue

before the signing of waghorn wasn’t Walker on the highest contract - they must be at least that beteern them

Well I wasn't including Waghorn in the mix as I can imagine Robins will probably persevere with him next season.

I'd imagine Walker was perhaps behind O'Hare last season but that's only a guess.

Grendel

McCallum was a first team player who we did that with.
You are saying we are going to have to do that again with first team players
If we sell Hamer for say £5m, then it will be doing what you said we have failed to do,
Similar with O'Hare, Gyok,
Surely what you are saying we have been bad at looks like we will have got a lot better at?
Only the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea etc are likely to sign players who don't make the first team, yet get sold for a profit - hence the PL clubs signing up all the young potential.

come on Mcallum was signed for the U23 and he was the exception

Sky Blue Harry H

come on Mcallum was signed for the U23 and he was the exception

Sorry G (not being deliberately difficult) but are you saying we are not good at signing development players and making a profit on them> If so, I agree with you, In terms of recent first team ready signings, we seem to have done ok (with the group i mentioned).

Grendel

Sorry G (not being deliberately difficult) but are you saying we are not good at signing development players and making a profit on them> If so, I agree with you, In terms of recent first team ready signings, we seem to have done ok (with the group i mentioned).

The problem we have is that we are now in a situation where we would have to sign regular players replacing established regular players

the base fact is Luton town have at best the same wages as us and according to the media had 7 injuries. That’s telling as their squad was stronger than ours.

There clearly is something wrong. Huddersfield halved the wages two years ago and this year the suggestion is it’s another big cut and they’ve had little ability to transact but sit third in the table

There is something very wrong with our strategy of recruitment at this level

Sky Blue Harry H

The problem we have is that we are now in a situation where we would have to sign regular players replacing established regular players

the base fact is Luton town have at best the same wages as us and according to the media had 7 injuries. That’s telling as their squad was stronger than ours.

There clearly is something wrong. Huddersfield halved the wages two years ago and this year the suggestion is it’s another big cut and they’ve had little ability to transact but sit third in the table

Huddersfield were in the PL (2017), while we were in L2, so have had a huge advantage in terms of starting point versus us. I think it is a bit early to criticise our strategy at this level, bearing in mind our first year was BCD at The Trillion, and we have had less than a season at the CBS. Agreed that unless the budget is increased we may struggle to stand still. That said, I'm going to enjoy the current positives on the pitch, rather than worry about when we sell our next Dion, Mortimer, Keane etc (always a new hero around the corner)

KenilworthSkyBlue

I wouldn't say there's something very wrong with it but I would agree we're still paying for poor recruitment the summer before last. Bar O'Hare and Hamer, the permanent signings haven't worked out which has essentially swallowed a significant proportion of our budget ever since.

Couple that with players from the season before that still being on the books (Mason, Jobello, Kastaneer) then it develops into quite a big issue.

Rather than our recruitment per say being an issue though, as there's always going to be failures, I think we need to be far more diligent with contracts offered, both to new and existing players.

Offering 3 years to Hilssner, Jobello, Dacosta and Kastaneer for instance was utter madness. The same applies to Mason, and latterly Kelly. (Not sure whether that was a clause being triggered in all fairness but the point still stands)

Users who are viewing this thread