How many different players have played this season (1 Viewer)

Jagmannn

Question for the statistical geniuses on this forum....How many different players have played this season for each club in the championship..I m looking for excuses for are small squad

Grendel

Question for the statistical geniuses on this forum....How many different players have played this season for each club in the championship..I m looking for excuses for are small squad

Its out choice to have a small squad

Grendel

No correlation to league position then

Grendel

You say that, but couldn't that just be because only now are we starting to feel the effects of such a small squad?

Luton and Millwall are on the up and also the actual numbers don't tell you a lot - if its 26 players with significant experience compared to clubs which have players with little experience in this league

Otis

Luton and Millwall are on the up and also the actual numbers don't tell you a lot - if its 26 players with significant experience compared to clubs which have players with little experience in this league
But also dependent upon the amount of injuries per club too I would imagine.

Sky Blue Harry H

Important that we don't try and bulk up our squad with too many that are not going to have an impact (Kastaneer, Hilssner ...add your own entries) and have less, but with better quality (easier said than done, as without European players, the market has shrunk, so more competition) For every success (Kane?) there's a potential failure (Walker?) Not an easy path to tread. Next summer will be interesting.

Frostie

It's worth pointing out too that of the 24 players we have used that includes:
  • 7 with single figure appearances
  • 2 that haven't started a single game
  • 2 no longer at the club
  • A backup keeper who made 2 appearances

Grendel

It's worth pointing out too that of the 24 players we have used that includes:
  • 7 with single figure appearances
  • 2 that haven't started a single game
  • 2 no longer at the club
  • A backup keeper who made 2 appearances

Which again shows poor planning by the club

Grendel

Or insufficient budget

Budget is a vague term but I would be very surprised if our wage bill was not bigger than Luton this season or certainly very similar

skybluesam66

we are 12 months in development behind Luton, and have been since league 2 promotion season
Next season will see if we can take the next step

Grendel

we are 12 months in development behind Luton, and have been since league 2 promotion season
Next season will see if we can take the next step

I don't see the relevance of that at all. Our strategy is totally different to Lutons in terms of player purchases.

Grendel

Yeah right

Well I would be pretty sure our wage bill is higher than last nights opponents - at the very worst it is similar and despite they having apparently 7 injuries they had a reasonable bench of recognised players

I am sure someone in the know said Hillsner was on £4,000 a week here. That would mean that Da Costa would be similar if not more and Jobello would have received a promotion bonus. Walker will be one of the higher paid players and he's out the picture. We do have Waghorn who has not achieved and he will be again on the higher end of the wage spectrum.

We are extending contract of players such as Kelly and Allen with I assume at least the same terms (probably better) and also adding a year on Godden.

As an estimate I would say the current wage bill cannot be much south of £20 million now

KenilworthSkyBlue

I don't see the relevance of that at all. Our strategy is totally different to Lutons in terms of player purchases.

It isn't really. If you look at the players purchased since they were promoted to the Championship it's pretty much aligned to what we aspire to bring in. Young players with potential for a high sell on value.

Equally they balance that out with free agents who have prior experience in the Championship, something we have tried to do this season.

They're not particularly reliant on loans either, something that we're gearing more towards. Granted we might have to forgo on that next season if we're not particularly successful in moving on the deadwood in the squad.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Well I would be pretty sure our wage bill is higher than last nights opponents - at the very worst it is similar and despite they having apparently 7 injuries they had a reasonable bench of recognised players

I am sure someone in the know said Hillsner was on £4,000 a week here. That would mean that Da Costa would be similar if not more and Jobello would have received a promotion bonus. Walker will be one of the higher paid players and he's out the picture. We do have Waghorn who has not achieved and he will be again on the higher end of the wage spectrum.

We are extending contract of players such as Kelly and Allen with I assume at least the same terms (probably better) and also adding a year on Godden.

As an estimate I would say the current wage bill cannot be much south of £20 million now

Interesting estimate. You do realise that works out as every single player in the squad being on at least £15k per week right?

Grendel

It isn't really. If you look at the players purchased since they were promoted to the Championship it's pretty much aligned to what we aspire to bring in. Young players with potential for a high sell on value.

Equally they balance that out with free agents who have prior experience in the Championship, something we have tried to do this season.

They're not particularly reliant on loans either, something that we're gearing more towards. Granted we might have to forgo on that next season if we're not particularly successful in moving on the deadwood in the squad.

What players have we signed with higher resale value? 3 in all probability all of whom are integral to the team.

Luton raised according to the last published accounts £13 million profit in transfer fees over the last 2 seasons, they have virtually an identical wage bill and that I think is before our signings this summer. They have significantly less football related revenue opportunities.

Grendel

Interesting estimate. You do realise that works out as every single player in the squad being on at least £15k per week right?

Well its £13 million in the last set of accounts. I am assuming that does not include the wages of Waghorn, Gyokeres, Kane, Bidwell, Sheaf (?) and any wage contribution for the loans. Yes we sold players but they are ones you would assume are on far lower wages. We also have offered extensions on existing contracts.

What do you think it will be then?

SBAndy

Interesting that Luton’s wage bill last season (total staff) wasn’t significantly higher than ours. Be interested to see what that was this season - they strike me as another club who are good at making their wage budget go a lot further than other clubs.

SBAndy

Well its £13 million in the last set of accounts. I am assuming that does not include the wages of Waghorn, Gyokeres, Kane, Bidwell, Sheaf (?) and any wage contribution for the loans. Yes we sold players but they are ones you would assume are on far lower wages. We also have offered extensions on existing contracts.

I’d expect around the £15m mark.

KenilworthSkyBlue

What players have we signed with higher resale value? 3 in all probability all of whom are integral to the team.

Luton raised according to the last published accounts £13 million profit in transfer fees over the last 2 seasons, they have virtually an identical wage bill and that I think is before our signings this summer. They have significantly less football related revenue opportunities.

Like us they don't particularly have a model though. They just do the best they can with what they have at their disposal, and where possible try to find young talent that has the potential for a higher resale value. I don't really get why you think that's disputable. It's clearly what we aim to do at least once per season, whether it's successful or not is a completely different matter.

£13m profit in transfer fees? They haven't sold anyone of note since James Justin so I assume that would've come from him who came from their academy. They didn't buy him.

Grendel

Like us they don't particularly have a model though. They just do the best they can with what they have at their disposal, and where possible try to find young talent that has the potential for a higher resale value. I don't really get why you think that's disputable. It's clearly what we aim to do at least once per season, whether it's successful or not is a completely different matter.

£13m profit in transfer fees? They haven't sold anyone of note since James Justin so I assume that would've come from him who came from their academy. They didn't buy him.

The last 2 season of published accounts show £13 million net return after signings on players

KenilworthSkyBlue

Wasn't it just short of £12m in the last set of accounts?

Given we've increased the contracts of players and signed those such as Bidwell and Waghorn who would've commanded big wages I'd expect it to be somewhere between £14m-£15m.

SBAndy

The last 2 season of published accounts show £13 million net return after signings on players

James Justin to Leicester and Jack Stacey to Bournemouth. Both were integral to their team as they got promoted from L1 and this is the kind of strategy we need to follow. No one player is bigger than the team, especially if it frees up significant cash to reinvest in squad development (or pay off a load of interest, but hey).

Grendel

Wasn't it just short of £12m in the last set of accounts?

Given we've increased the contracts of players and signed those such as Bidwell and Waghorn who would've commanded big wages I'd expect it to be somewhere between £14m-£15m.

I am talking gross wages of both clubs. Gyokeres, Bidwell, Waghorn, Sheaf (who was on loan in the latest accounts), Kane, Moore are going to be adding at least £3 million to the gross wage bill. The extensions on Allen, Hamer, Kelly, Godden, O Hare also are in effect pay rises

KenilworthSkyBlue

I am talking gross wages of both clubs. Gyokeres, Bidwell, Waghorn, Sheaf (who was on loan in the latest accounts), Kane, Moore are going to be adding at least £3 million to the gross wage bill. The extensions on Allen, Hamer, Kelly, Godden, O Hare also are in effect pay rises

But there have been outgoings though which would've made room for some of the signings this season? E.g. Marosi leaving to at least partially make room for Moore's wages, this season's loans replacing last season's, all of the Jan outgoings to again make room for Bidwell coming in, etc.

Gyokeres and Sheaf were obviously with us last season therefore the increase to permanent contracts probably wasn't as significant as you might think, and the extra percentage of Gyokeres' increase would've at least been softened by Bakayoko and Biamou departing (granted they both would've been on nominal salaries but every little helps). I can imagine much of Sheaf's contract was probably subsidised by Matty James not signing permanently as well.

The only substantial increases in our wage bill would've likely come from Waghorn and Kane (which I'd imagine would cost around £1m in wages between them), the rest really have either been covered fully or partially covered by outgoings. If you included the wage increases of Hyam, Allen, Kelly, Godden, O'Hare and Hamer, you're likely only talking of again another £1m increase to the gross wage bill at best. It might not even be as much as that given we settled with Kastaneer, Mason, and Jobello and terminated Bright's contract as well.

That all roughly equates to around £14-15m, not just shy of £20m...

Grendel

But there have been outgoings though which would've made room for some of the signings this season? E.g. Marosi leaving to at least partially make room for Moore's wages, this season's loans replacing last season's, all of the Jan outgoings to again make room for Bidwell coming in, etc.

Gyokeres and Sheaf were obviously with us last season therefore the increase to permanent contracts probably wasn't as significant as you might think, and the extra percentage would've would've at least been softened by Bakayoko and Biamou departing (granted they both would've been on nominal salaries but every little helps). I can imagine much of Sheaf's contract was probably subsidised by Matty James not signing permanently as well.

The only substantial increases in our wage bill would've likely come from Waghorn and Kane (which I'd imagine would cost around £1m in wages between them), the rest really have either been covered fully or partially covered by outgoings. If you included the wage increases of Hyam, Allen, Kelly, Godden, O'Hare and Hamer, you're likely only talking of again another £1m increase to the gross wage bill at best.

That all roughly equates to around £14-15m, not just shy of £20m...

don’t agree Moore vs Morosi - really?
Can’t see it being much below £17 million at all and it’s certainly no worse than Luton - our issue is many players in tbe first team squad are really sun standard abs aren’t considered

KenilworthSkyBlue

don’t agree Moore vs Morosi - really?
Can’t see it being much below £17 million at all and it’s certainly no worse than Luton - our issue is many players in tbe first team squad are really sun standard abs aren’t considered

I think you need to re-read the sentence.... I said partially covered.

Fair enough but we'll have to agree to disagree. Apart from the fact that it would be no worse than Luton, I think that's probably a given Luton receive around half the footfall than what we do per matchday.

I also forgot to mention, which I edited into my post, that we also settled with Jobello, Mason and Kastaneer, along with terminating Bright's contract. That would've no doubt brought down the total cost of the contract increases for those that received extensions.

Grendel

I think you need to re-read the sentence.... I said partially covered.

Fair enough but we'll have to agree to disagree. Apart from the fact that it would be no worse than Luton, I think that's probably a given Luton receive around half the footfall than what we do per matchday.

I also forgot to mention, which I edited into my post, that we also settled with Jobello, Mason and Kastaneer, along with terminating Bright's contract. That would've no doubt brought down the total cost of the contract increases for those that received extensions.

it also means we settled the contracts which means pay offs. I forgot all about bright and mason

KenilworthSkyBlue

it also means we settled the contracts which means pay offs. I forgot all about bright and mason

I suspect either we paid them off to the point at which they found another club or the club paid the difference between their CCFC contract and their new contracts at their respective clubs - as I'd wager they aren't on as much as they were here.

I think that's usually how clubs structure it anyway. Either way the club has made savings which would've contributed to their teammates' extensions.

Users who are viewing this thread