How long until (3 Viewers)

theferret

Curtailing liberties? It’s wearing a mask indoors during a pandemic, life is pretty much back to normal here apart from that, get some perspective.

Typical shouty reply to a post that was just trying to explain why some have difficulty with it. I shouldn't engage I know.

Want to wear a mask? Go on then, wear it in the bath if you want. People can wear what they like. However, a Government forcing people to cover their face in public in response to a virus with a very low lethality rate does raise questions. Especially when many of the cloth masks are completely ineffective because the gaps in the fibres are far wider than the molecules they think they are protected against. Anyway, this is just my view and I think it's a debate that shouldn't be shut down. That doesn't mean I don't wear one when I venture out, I do.

theferret

The excess deaths at home figure being nearly 1k a week every week for 6 months says something is amiss

There have been no excess deaths overall for months now, it is hovering around the 5 year average and was below it for a long period. I think it was slightly above the last week in August.

The deaths at home figure just confirms what many are concerned about, that people are still not attending hospital.

This tallies with the anecdotal stuff I get from family who work in hospitals that they are still eerily quiet compared to how they were pre-covid.

fernandopartridge

Anyway, my last post on this thread as didn't intend on it becoming a political debate. It was supposed to be just about the likelihood and timing of the next curtailment of the football season.
Can't say I'd be that bothered if the season was postponed as I've got a real feeling of anticlimax today.

theferret

Anyway, my last post on this thread as didn't intend on it becoming a political debate. It was supposed to be just about the likelihood and timing of the next curtailment of the football season.
Can't say I'd be that bothered if the season was postponed as I've got a real feeling of anticlimax today.

Fair enough, I've tried to avoid the political stuff for a while now but you just get suckled in and I really wish I hadn't.

I'm not quite as downbeat about the season. It's such a shame that we'll not be able to enjoy it in the way we'd like, especially as we have waited for it for so long, but a few good early results and I think we'll adjust to the new reality and can still enjoy it. I think we may be looking at January for grounds to reopen though 😒

Sick Boy

Typical shouty reply to a post that was just trying to explain why some have difficulty with it. I shouldn't engage I know.

Want to wear a mask? Go on then, wear it in the bath if you want. People can wear what they like. However, a Government forcing people to cover their face in public in response to a virus with a very low lethality rate does raise questions. Especially when many of the cloth masks are completely ineffective because the gaps in the fibres are far wider than the molecules they think they are protected against. Anyway, this is just my view and I think it's a debate that shouldn't be shut down. That doesn't mean I don't wear one when I venture out, I do.
How was it a shouty reply? It’s just countering your point of view and nonsense of comparing wearing a mask in an enclosed space to human rights abuses around the world - if you’re going to come out with such statements you shouldn’t get so upset when you’re challenged over them.

clint van damme

There have been no excess deaths overall for months now, it is hovering around the 5 year average and was below it for a long period. I think it was slightly above the last week in August.

The deaths at home figure just confirms what many are concerned about, that people are still not attending hospital.

This tallies with the anecdotal stuff I get from family who work in hospitals that they are still eerily quiet compared to how they were pre-covid.

There's been over 400 covid deaths in the last 3 or 4 weeks (that's from the government's website).

Grendel

Agreed - I can’t see games being called off but also can’t see much enthusiasm for a BCD season if that’s what we end up with

Brighton Sky Blue

I just don’t get the reluctance. In and around New York, from around April time it was compulsory to wear a face mask and if you didn’t wear one you weren’t allowed in any store and you weren’t allowed on public transport. Simple. People very soon adjusted, and now I feel dodgy walking past people on a crowded pavement without a mask. Wouldn’t dream of walking into a store or establishment without one.

It’s now: phone, wallet, keys, mask - and it’s easy. Don’t get the problem if there’s even a chance it helps.

Because I can’t breathe properly with it on and it seems to make people think they can encroach on me because they’re wearing one.

shmmeee

Same argument as people who don’t want to wear clothes in public or seatbelts in cars, or even pay for the NHS. We have a long tradition of enforcing individual actions for the greater good, that’s what law and order is.

I think the government are catastrophically inept, but they are democratically elected and have the best advice available to them. Wearing a mask is nothing compared with some things I have to do by law to keep others safe, I really don’t get the issue. The only people I see claiming it isn’t effective are cranks and grifters quite frankly. No serious medical body is against them.

kg82

Is there anything you wouldn't do that the government tells you to?

I'm amazed at how compliant some people are. I've often wondered how totalitarian governments come to be, but the last few months have shown me, it's simply that people will do exactly what their government tells them to do, without question, often because they’re told it's for the greater good. I'm exaggerating to make a point of course before you shout at me.
The government here didn’t tell me to wear a mask...

... my girlfriend did

Saddlebrains

Just seen some french football highlights

How the fuck have they got that amount of fans in stadiums when their case rate is higher than ours?

robbiekeane

It wasn’t a quote, it was a question, hence the question mark.
If it was a quote, it would have quotation marks.
You used the "quote" function - like I am quoting your now.

1600189653336.png

I am just struggling to see how you make the jump to your question from what you quoted. Could you help me to understand how you got from the images I posted to what you asked?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Just seen this on SSN app. Not sure if been posted anywhere else so apologies if it has!

'Clubs in local lockdown areas were told they would not receive permission'. So guess that rules us out due to the b'ham / Solihull lockdown?

Woolly68

I watch Exeter as well as Coventry (because they are down the road) and they released a statement yesterday saying they are still working towards fans being back in October.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Just seen this on SSN app. Not sure if been posted anywhere else so apologies if it has!

'Clubs in local lockdown areas were told they would not receive permission'. So guess that rules us out due to the b'ham / Solihull lockdown?
Maybe we could use the Ricoh while Birmingham is in lockdown? :p

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You’ve got to think we are weeks away from another pause in professional football

It's what myself and numerous others were talking about last season before it got curtailed - there's a real chance the following season (i.e. this season) would end up being as badly effected, if not worse, than last because it's something that will be in the background from the start. Ultimately you end up with two messed up seasons rather than one.

You would think it's a distinct possibility with R levels, cases etc but I'm not sure. Unpopularity of lockdown, economic factors etc makes me think rather than follow their own guidelines they'll just plough on and open it up to some fans, Like with pubs - they said we'll reshut them if cases start going up and if needed to open schools. They've done no such thing.

Liquid Gold

I think they'll play through in bubbles this time. Government didn't know what was coming last time but they do now (at least some idea anyway).

It looks like we're heading for another lockdown for us plebs but I reckon they'll let certain activities continue. The players refusing could change things though

BornSlippySkyBlue

I think it very much depends on what happens over the next week or two. If the cases keep climbing at the current rate I can’t see how we avoid another significant lockdown of some description. Don’t see how they can open more things up given the current rate of infection and the direction it’s heading in. Hate to say it but I suspect BCD is the best we’re going to get for a while, unless that gets canned too.

Hope I’m wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread