How long do we wait to form a breakaway club? (1 Viewer)

RoboCCFC90

Two questions

1. Could you support a breakaway team to play at the Ricoh if the club remain in Northampton for 5-10 years?

2. How long should we 'wait and see' before forming this new club?

For me it's

1. Yes.

2. Form one for the start of next season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Q1. No I couldn't support a breakaway club, but there is also nothing to imply that the club could remain in Northampton between 5-10 years.

Q2. If your serious that a new club should be formed then why the wait? If you want it to be a club that galvanises the support and attracts the lost fans then the best time would be now, build your base and work up, if for instance you formed a club now, with the right help the club could be on it's way up the pyramid within 5 years.

jimmyhillsfanclub

If CCFC dies....I will no longer support any team.

Personally, I believe any new start-up club would fold within 2-3 years of starting anyway....due to a massive lack of interest.

IMHO...Coventry Sphinx should be the default go-to club for disgruntled fans if CCFC fails to return to the city long term or goes under.........certainly not them jonny-cum-lately opportunist vultures playing in red...

shy_tall_knight

Sphinx properly backed could be in the conference in 4-5 years. CCFC could be there sooner. Its a straight battle between CCC v SISU and the latter will risk the club to get the Ricoh. They won't get the Ricoh, it is political suicide for any of the councillors to be seen to be caving in to a private equity / hedge fund. There will be no new ground, either SISU agree to return to the Ricoh or it will continue to be a slow painful death of CCFC.

ajsccfc

I don't understand how you can call people 'lazy' and accuse them of doing nothing while also calling for what would essentially be giving up the fight with a whimper at the earliest opportunity.

@richh87

I don't understand how you can call people 'lazy' and accuse them of doing nothing while also calling for what would essentially be giving up the fight with a whimper at the earliest opportunity.

I don't see it as giving up the fight though - I see it as winning it and giving SISU a massive kick in the nuts.

I don't see Coventry Utd as a breakaway club - they said a few months ago that they weren't one and have now changed their tune.

I just want SISU's strangle hold released and to have nothing more to do with them. This could go on for years and years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

stupot07

How will it give sisu a kick in the nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

Matty_CCFC

I don't disagree with that.

I do think the club needs to be dead first, though.

Coupled with that, if a new club was set up now it just sends out a message, along with barely anybody turning up to protests, that we give up really easily!

I agree, we neeed to be dead an buried first.
When that happens I am finished, no new club to me, will wish them well and give up Football.

ajsccfc

Where's the victory? Coventry City still carrying on miles away while a new team flounder after lots of people who loved the theory of a breakaway quickly give up on the reality. I can't see how it would hurt the owners in any way; you yourself have criticised the apparent inactivity of people with the current situation, so how likely is it that a breakaway would get the kind of numbers for it to cause Sisu worry?

Covstu

Clubs like Cov Utd were 'born' too early in this process to be successful, we are still in club in limbo and untill that is resolved our fans will also remain in limbo. If the club 'dies' either by liquidation or relocation then my love for football ends and i support no-one. Breaks my heart to say it but that will be that.

skybluetony176

No to a break away club for me. if CCFC do disapear for good i will start following my local non league team, Rugby Town more than i currently do. the people of Nuneaton should follow the borough, leamington have their own team and so do warwick, beduff and kenilworth.

if i was a cov kid i would follow http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/coventrysphinx/ they are already established, have a history and they represent the city. thats what i would do any way.

@richh87

Where's the victory? Coventry City still carrying on miles away while a new team flounder after lots of people who loved the theory of a breakaway quickly give up on the reality. I can't see how it would hurt the owners in any way; you yourself have criticised the apparent inactivity of people with the current situation, so how likely is it that a breakaway would get the kind of numbers for it to cause Sisu worry?

I've criticised the inactivity because I feel people should be trying to change the situation rather than give in. Some may think that not going is doing enough and that's their call.

I can see the pros and cons that you're all coming up with, and I'm not trying to persuade anyone - just wanted to discuss it as I think it becomes more of an option with every day that passes.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that and that things are resolved this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ajsccfc

I've criticised the inactivity because I feel people should be trying to change the situation rather than give in.

But then what is switching allegiance to a new club in August if not giving in? If it's to be used as some kind of pawn, that's hardly admirable.

covmark

No to a break away club for me. if CCFC do disapear for good i will start following my local non league team, Rugby Town more than i currently do. the people of Nuneaton should follow the borough, leamington have their own team and so do warwick, beduff and kenilworth.

if i was a cov kid i would follow http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/coventrysphinx/ they are already established, have a history and they represent the city. thats what i would do any way.
for the first time ever I agree with you, Salisbury city are my local team, that's where I'd be heading albeit without the same vigour that I support ccfc with.

mds

My grandad took me to my first game when i was about 6, my first memory of the City is being shouted at by the grumpy old bloke behind me for standing on the cranky old wooden seat in the main stand. I dont remember the game, i dont remember who we played, i do remember i was watching Coventry City and that miserable old git.

Somebody mentioned how teams change over the years, colours, owners, names, ground, whatever it is that changes the fans are allways the constant.
My memories and those of thousands of others older and younger than me are of Coventry City, they are my constant, my football supporting memories part of my history as i am part of theirs, i may not have gone to watch them as much as i would like over recent years but they are allways there, my heart, my head, my first footballing thought of the day is allways about them.

NO OTHER TEAM WOULD CUT IT, OR REPLACE THEM, NO COVENTRY CITY NO TEAM!

Steve.B50

My grandad took me to my first game when i was about 6, my first memory of the City is being shouted at by the grumpy old bloke behind me for standing on the cranky old wooden seat in the main stand. I dont remember the game, i dont remember who we played, i do remember i was watching Coventry City and that miserable old git.

Somebody mentioned how teams change over the years, colours, owners, names, ground, whatever it is that changes the fans are allways the constant.
My memories and those of thousands of others older and younger than me are of Coventry City, they are my constant, my football supporting memories part of my history as i am part of theirs, i may not have gone to watch them as much as i would like over recent years but they are allways there, my heart, my head, my first footballing thought of the day is allways about them.

NO OTHER TEAM WOULD CUT IT, OR REPLACE THEM, NO COVENTRY CITY NO TEAM!

Personally I agree with you, although the Trust does have a working group looking into what's is required if its ever needed.
As I recall everything would have to be in place for May 1st to play the following season, I am also aware that some of the potential names have been secured should they ever be needed.
However, at this present time, our club still exists, be it in another Town.

Spionkop

Steve.B50, relieved to hear that the Trust have got contingency plans for next season.
Like everyone else I hope that the existing CCFC return to Coventry soon. A lot can happen between now and next Spring. If Northampton drags on that long I think the mood will change.
It depends if the 'new ground' materialises. It depends on so many things. But faced with a second season over there, most fans will be lost. A serious reformed CCFC in Coventry, that looks to claim back its heritage would be welcomed by many. We would know who we were. Just the serious plan for a new CCFC would galvanise Sisu's thinking. Rid us of this curse.

torchomatic

Never for me either.

J

Jack Griffin

Thanks but no thanks. In my eyes, once you've picked your club you stand by it until one of you kicks the bucket. No flouncing.

You see you are limiting your tactics by having these artificial restrictions, this is where SISU pull a flanker, they're prepared not only to think the unthinkable but bloody well do it, much to their disgrace.

We as fans have to go the extra mile too in order to rid the cancer, desperate times call for desperate measures!

If nothing happens before close season, no SISU land purchase, no talks, then it is time to outflank SISU in this or any other way imaginable & quite frankly I'd have no sympathy on whatever predicament they end up in.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmmeee

You see you are limiting your tactics by having these artificial restrictions, this is where SISU pull a flanker, they're prepared not only to think the unthinkable but bloody well do it, much to their disgrace.

We as fans have to go the extra mile too in order to rid the cancer, desperate times call for desperate measures!

If nothing happens before close season, no SISU land purchase, no talks, then it is time to outflank SISU in this or any other way imaginable & quite frankly I'd have no sympathy on whatever predicament they end up in.

Got to be honest I see this line of reasoning. Sisus only power is in our love of the club. If we all fucked off and supported someone else they'd be fucked and we'd still have a club.

That said, no new club til the old ones gone. It's a good old fashioned game of chicken and if Seppala thinks we'll blink because she threatens to liquidate the company currently in possession of the Golden Share, she's got a surprise coming.

@richh87

Got to be honest I see this line of reasoning. Sisus only power is in our love of the club. If we all fucked off and supported someone else they'd be fucked and we'd still have a club.

That said, no new club til the old ones gone. It's a good old fashioned game of chicken and if Seppala thinks we'll blink because she threatens to liquidate the company currently in possession of the Golden Share, she's got a surprise coming.

Exactly. How good would it feel for all of us to say "you know what - fuck you SISU - we win".

It'd be amazing. We've been the victims, and we can flip it on its head whenever we want. The customer is always right Joy!

SISU aren't CCFC, and the team playing on Northampton on a Sunday will all leave for a few grand more without blinking, and simply don't represent Coventry anymore.

We are the club - and we can take that with us - as AFC Wimbledon have IMO.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
We wouldn't have won though? It is like somebody stealing your Ferrari and you buying a second hand nova and you driving past the thief saying "look at me, I have a car of my own" even though you love that Ferrari still. Then, they just go and torch your Ferrari and stand laughing at you. (I think that makes sense, a bit)

Winning would be getting CCFC back to Coventry rather than giving up.

@richh87

We wouldn't have won though? It is like somebody stealing your Ferrari and you buying a second hand nova and you driving past the thief saying "look at me, I have a car of my own" even though you love that Ferrari still. Then, they just go and torch your Ferrari and stand laughing at you. (I think that makes sense, a bit)

Winning would be getting CCFC back to Coventry rather than giving up.

I think CCFC are more a fiat panda, and the breakaway club a push bike, but I get your point.

Maybe I want to kill off SISU's ownership more than I want to wait years for City back. It has become very personal and I want to make Sepalla a failure.

Grendel

mds

I imagine Joy Seppala is a nice friendly loving caring familly orientated woman, i also imagine she trusted the people she employed to make the right decisions for her and her company, they failed her at the same time as failing us. She is now getting involved, interviews and all trying to make up for the fuck ups that have gone on before!

Just an opinion, call me a SISU apologist if u will, i make no secret that my blame for the position the club currently finds itself in (barring the move to Northampton) lies at the feet of previous regimes, i predicted it on carling.net (stoned, username, long posts about Richardson and his chronies on the verge of ruining our club) years before any of the troubles started to show, the way Richardson and co were doing business and using our club at the time it seemed obvious to me.

Imagination, i imagine our club back in the premiership in 3-5yrs with or without SISU but with a good squad, forward thinking manager, and vocal support for the team from the fans!

Last edited:

shmmeee

I imagine Joy Seppala is a nice friendly loving caring familly orientated woman, i also imagine she trusted the people she employed to make the right decisions for her and her company, they failed her at the same time as failing us. She is now getting involved, interviews and all trying to make up for the fuck ups that have gone on before!

Just an opinion, call me a SISU apologist if u will, i make no secret that my blame for the position the club currently finds itself in lies at the feet of previous regimes, i predicted it on carling.net (stoned, username, long posts about Richardson and his chronies on the verge of ruining our club) years before any of the troubles started to show, the way Richardson and co were doing business and using our club at the time it seemed obvious to me.

Imagination, i imagine our club back in the premiership in 3-5yrs with or without SISU but with a good squad, forward thinking manager, and vocal support for the team from the fans!

You simply don't rise to her position in her industry with her reputation if any of that first paragraph is true.

Love her or loathe her, it's fairly accepted she's a ball buster.

mds

You simply don't rise to her position in her industry with her reputation if any of that first paragraph is true.

A hard faced business ethc was meant to be in my post, but had so many other thoughts going on. Why not, it is quite easy to have a heart of stone in business and still be detached enough from business to be all of that and more. In reality its no different from managing a wine shop and having to be hard enough to release/sack/make redundant the weakest link because profits are down or they just dont sell enough, difference being turnover, thousands in a wine shop to millions in a football club!

A police officer has to make hard possibly life changing decisions, a soldier has to shoot someone in the line of duty, cold hard things they have to do, business is business, its a job, they have to be able to detatch from everyday familly life.

Last edited:

Spionkop

I suppose the 'everyday families' who support the City will be 'detatched' as you put it, from their club by Joy. That's funny, it looks just like the scenario we've got at the minute.
Brilliant.

stupot07

To be fair, Deborah Meaden seems a genuinely nice person on strictly come dancing, she's worth £40m and must be a ball buster in the board room too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse and spelling or grammar errors :)

bigfatronssba

A hard faced business ethc was meant to be in my post, but had so many other thoughts going on. Why not, it is quite easy to have a heart of stone in business and still be detached enough from business to be all of that and more. In reality its no different from managing a wine shop and having to be hard enough to release/sack/make redundant the weakest link because profits are down or they just dont sell enough, difference being turnover, thousands in a wine shop to millions in a football club!

A police officer has to make hard possibly life changing decisions, a soldier has to shoot someone in the line of duty, cold hard things they have to do, business is business, its a job, they have to be able to detatch from everyday familly life.

But from our point of view we only deal with the business side of her. We are her customers. The fact she might be a nice family woman is irrelevant.

The truth is in the business world she is a hard nosed bitch.

lewys33

I don't think I could ever fully support another club.

However I agree it would have to be when we are liquidated or when the move is deemed permanent. When that is I don't know, as I don't know how long we can wait to see any stadium plans ...........

shmmeee

To be fair, Deborah Meaden seems a genuinely nice person on strictly come dancing, she's worth £40m and must be a ball buster in the board room too.

She's a media personality, of course she seems nice on TV!

It's a fact that *in that industry* lack of empathy is important. That's why sociopaths do so well.

ajsccfc

You always hear things like 'hard nosed' and 'ruthless' when it's people successful in the business world. You do get nice people who succeed of course, but that's more in the invention and ideas realm than your takeover and management hoop-de-doo.

Users who are viewing this thread