How long can we keep Hamer? (1 Viewer)

AFCCOVENTRY

He is one of the most creative goal scoring midfielders in the championship. He will be on the premiership radar at the end of this season and back in Europe. However, we will not be letting him go in Jan. But he’s here because we are giving him the platform to grow as an asset which we will eventually cash in on. Part of Badlans job is to find the next one.

NortonSkyBlue

He’s clearly our best player at the moment, but we’re getting well ahead of ourselves. We focus on our best players. Other teams would think, “how much better is he than what we’ve got and how much is it worth paying for him?”.

In my head, the answer is a Championship team ambitiously hoping to make the playoffs- Cardiff, Swansea.....
Realistically, how much would they pay for him considering realistically he’s not being bought to start regularly in the Premier league.
As much as I love him, anything above £5m is VERY optimistic.
Kelly is our best player at the moment and in my opinion Dabo is a better player, Hamer is doing very well and is getting used to the team and I hope he will as important as the above players as the season progresses.

Frostie

If douglas luiz from the Villa can play for Brazil than why can't Hamer in a few years?

Because Douglas Luiz is already an established Premier League player, arguably the best midfielder at his club & is younger than Hamer?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not going in jan but possibly next summer. Hopefully we'll stay up so he lure of another Championship team wouldn't be as big apart from a few teams that could probably afford to massively increase his wages.

if he carries on as he has there might be some interest from lower Prem teams/promoted teams and that will make it more difficult for us but it would prob add a fair bit to the transfer fee.

Important bit then would who could we bring in with the money. Walsh maybe? Ostigard I think unlikely but not entirely impossible? An improved ACM/ST?

mark82

He asked me which players I’d swap Hamer for. These were all off the top of my head. I’m sure there’s many more in the league. Hamer has had a good 20 games but to put him alongside some of these is ludicrous.

you cannot seriously think he’s worth at least £10m.

Not yet, no. He has the potential to get there though.

no_loyalty

January is when you need to replace him, the summers when you sell him. It’s a mistake we’ve made a number of times over the years, with us we need a centre back, central midfielder, and two strikers in January because that’s what we’ll be selling next summer.

You’ve got to replace, before you sell, if you don’t have the budget to buy Championship experienced players, (which I’m assuming you don’t) because it’s such a hard league for players to find their feet in. As we found last season with a full squad of players inexperienced at this level, and as yourselves will find this season.

You need next seasons replacement leaning from him in training, and replacing him towards the end of games, and for suspensions and resting processes, to give him a fighting chance. If you look at our last 5or6 games Alex Mowatt our captain, who’s contract is up in the summer, as gone from a 90minutes every game, for the past 3 years player, to getting subbed off in the 75th minute most weeks to give Romal Palmer some experience, because we’re obviously cashing in on him during January if possible, this is what you need to be doing with young players at this level we’ve learnt the hard way.

We already have his replacement lined up, it’s Liam Walsh.

Sky Blue Harry H

There have been 5 players who have gone from Championship teams to championship teams for over £10m and all of them were strikers. Best we can hope for with Hamer is just over £5m. He’s a great player, but there are many midfielders in the championship still better than him.

Give me a list, because I'd like to see who is in that 'many'. better teams yes, but many better midfield players than Hamer, I'm not sure I have seen many, and we've played most of the teams, including all of the best ones.

FWIW, why sell the guy, as if we don't replace him adequately, we'd lose more through potential relegation than we'd earn through his sale. In addition, what message does that send from our owners to MR, as I can imagine he would want to be building a team around Hamer, not having to start all over again.

Ccfcisparks

Give me a list, because I'd like to see who is in that 'many'. better teams yes, but many better midfield players than Hamer, I'm not sure I have seen many, and we've played most of the teams, including all of the best ones.

FWIW, why sell the guy, as if we don't replace him adequately, we'd lose more through potential relegation than we'd earn through his sale. In addition, what message does that send from our owners to MR, as I can imagine he would want to be building a team around Hamer, not having to start all over again.
I’ve already put a list in this thread and that was off the top of my head. Hamer is a good player but he’s had 15 or so games in the league. There are many better players than him.

procdoc

If douglas luiz from the Villa can play for Brazil than why can't Hamer in a few years?
Because Douglas Luiz is proving to be
Because Douglas Luiz is already an established Premier League player, arguably the best midfielder at his club & is younger than Hamer?
Douglas Luiz is probably the second name on the Villa team sheet after Grealish. Villa will get shitloads when they cash in on him

Users who are viewing this thread