How long before the fans turn this season... (1 Viewer)

lesturd

Last season AT was given an easy ride by a sympathetic crowd who pretty much blamed last year on SISU.

This year AT has been allowed to bring in his own players and the team will be pretty much his, rather than one he has inherited. On that basis he needs to get off to a good start but I wonder how long he will be given before there is unrest in the stands if we start off like we did last year?

Martin180

Hopefully most of the fans will give him time .We have a lot of players to blend into a new side ,it will take probably 6-8 games for it to settle down .

I think the Ricoh will be a fortress for us this season ,hopefully the fans will start returning if we start well and build some momentum .I like Thorn , i lke his honesty and like the way he tries to play the game .I`m looking forward to some fast ,attacking football and pinning teams in their own penalty areas for long periods

PUSB

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
thought some already had ................ :whistle:

dojer

If we struggle at the start I anticipate the boo boys will be out pretty quickly (3 or 4 games). We need to give this team time, but I'm afraid a lot of fans don't have the patience.

Personally if the team is struggling to find form by November/December and we're not in the top half by then my support for Thorn will probably be gone.

@richh87

Last season AT was given an easy ride by a sympathetic crowd who pretty much blamed last year on SISU.

This year AT has been allowed to bring in his own players and the team will be pretty much his, rather than one he has inherited. On that basis he needs to get off to a good start but I wonder how long he will be given before there is unrest in the stands if we start off like we did last year?

Which is exactly who should take most of the blame. On the whole Managers are as good as the budget given to them. There are of course exceptions to this rule - but even if somebody trots out the old "but Blackpool got promoted with a shit squad" - well yes, they did, but it wasn't full of 12 year olds.

Anyway, back to the question; I think it would take us being outside the playoffs for people to turn. I really like Andy Thorn and his style of play - but I demand we challenge this season. I'll give til November and if we're well adrift* then i'll want a change. If we don't go straight back up it'll only become harder in the seasons to come. In my opinion SISU have pushed the boat out (by their crappy standards) as they know that the further we are from the Premier League, the less likely anyone will buy us from them.

*I don't expect us to be cut adrift; in fact i'm certain we'll finish top six.

Last edited:

skybluesteve76

Hopefully most of the fans will give him time .We have a lot of players to blend into a new side ,it will take probably 6-8 games for it to settle down .

I think the Ricoh will be a fortress for us this season ,hopefully the fans will start returning if we start well and build some momentum .I like Thorn , i lke his honesty and like the way he tries to play the game .I`m looking forward to some fast ,attacking football and pinning teams in their own penalty areas for long periods

PUSB

Get your own avatar punk!

All the best

Nonleagueherewecome

thought some already had ................ :whistle:

They turned at Nuneaton, right?! Although some have been in a position for over a year where turning wasn't needed in the first place..not that you hear them dissenting at the ground like you might as they become the majority if we fail this season. The huge expectation as demonstrated by the optimism on here means there are sure to be a lot of disaffected people if the division is actually as tough as I believe it to be.

dongonzalos

I would like to think most people would have the common sence to understand that we will probably have 8 New players on the pitch. Some playing competively in English football for the first time. People should understand that's this will take time.
Hopefully people banding round 10 games, is not the case. I would say at least 20 to allow the squad to gel.
That is unless we are in the bottom six or something like that after 10 games.
However the team should want to play for AT as he will have signed most of them.
I really hope we don't get more instability. A new manager coming in and not fancying 3 of the players. Then wanting to bring in his own ect...

Common sence would say 15 to 20 games but this is football.......

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Nowt so rare as "common" sense, Dongonzalos!

lesturd

They turned at Nuneaton, right?! Although some have been in a position for over a year where turning wasn't needed in the first place..not that you hear them dissenting at the ground like you might as they become the majority if we fail this season. The huge expectation as demonstrated by the optimism on here means there are sure to be a lot of disaffected people if the division is actually as tough as I believe it to be.

I don't really remember any dissent at Nuneaton to be honest.

Last year the players weren't really under any pressure because expectations were low. This year the players will be playing under the pressure of expectation and it will be interesting to see how they react when/if things go bad. That's why it's important IMO to be in the top six after 10 games or so.

lesturd

I would like to think most people would have the common sence to understand that we will probably have 8 New players on the pitch. Some playing competively in English football for the first time. People should understand that's this will take time.
Hopefully people banding round 10 games, is not the case. I would say at least 20 to allow the squad to gel.
That is unless we are in the bottom six or something like that after 10 games.
However the team should want to play for AT as he will have signed most of them.
I rely hope we don't get more instability. A new manager coming in and not fancying 3 of the players. Then wanting to bring in his own ect...

Common sence would say 15 to 20 games but this is football.......

I agree but when you see some of the kneejerk reactions on forums, facebook pages etc... throughout pre-season, then you do wonder if the majority of fans will think your way and appreciate the fact that the side will need time to gel

johnwillomagic

Ten games I think is what Thorn should be given, no more, no less.

Once again I do not entirely agree with Dongonzales not for the first time but he does distort facts. I think the start xi likely to be.

Murphy
Clarke
Wood
Malaga
Hussey
Baker
McSheffrey
Jennings
Kilbane
McDonald
Ball

That is only for "new" players of which only one is not experienced at domestic football in Malaga so do not buy your argument at all Dong.....eight new players....phttt! Whatsmore most have played a number of games in pre-season so it is not as if they will all step off the bus and not know each other by now.

Ten games.....no crap excuses please, that said I am confident we will do well this season in this league, if we do not Thorn is directly culpable given tools at his disposal. Not his biggest fan but hope he can turn things around he has a great chance to! Looking forward to seeing how we perform at Daggers game!

Nonleagueherewecome

I don't really remember any dissent at Nuneaton to be honest.

Last year the players weren't really under any pressure because expectations were low.

Well, afterwards then. I did say you never hear it at the ground, aside from the odd bitter and moaning old man (I call them "Ians").

@richh87

Ten games I think is what Thorn should be given, no more, no less.

Once again I do not entirely agree with Dongonzales not for the first time but he does distort facts. I think the start xi likely to be.

Murphy
Clarke
Wood
Malaga
Hussey
Baker
McSheffrey
Jennings
Kilbane
McDonald
Ball

That is only for "new" players of which only one is not experienced at domestic football in Malaga so do not buy your argument at all Dong.....eight new players....phttt! Whatsmore most have played a number of games in pre-season so it is not as if they will all step off the bus and not know each other by now.

Ten games.....no crap excuses please, that said I am confident we will do well this season in this league, if we do not Thorn is directly culpable given tools at his disposal. Not his biggest fan but hope he can turn things around he has a great chance to! Looking forward to seeing how we perform at Daggers game!

Haha, gotta love it when someone does their best to pick a 'likely' starting XI with as few of the new players as possible - just so they can say ONLY FOUR NEW PLAYERS NO EXCUSES!!!

Fleck isn't even in there :facepalm:

Last edited:

Astute

We have at least one on here that says he should start with a clean slate, but we should still get rid of AT even if we win this division :(

I say give it until Xmas to have us in the top 6, but if it all goes Pete Tong then get rid and try to find someone decent for peanuts.

Martin180

Haha, gotta love it when someone does their best to pick a 'likely' starting XI with as few of the new players as possible - just so they can say ONLY FOUR NEW PLAYERS NO EXCUSES!!!

Fleck isn't even in there :facepalm:
Or Barton , or Elliott who i think will be a starter unless we sign Polo :)

dongonzalos

Wind your neck in, the 8 players on the pitch I am referring to are our new signings, that can be at any given time. I did not expect or say all of them on the pitch for the first game.

I would expect 4 or 5 on at the same time. However if wood and hussey go that could be 6 or 7.

Sorry john, I forgot you are picking the team for the start of the season, you must be as I am distorting FACTS. You clearly know the line up for a FACT. So Wood and Hussey are staying.

All the experience in the world if you introduce half a new 11 and have half your first 16 as New players. It takes time to gel I am sure even you can work that one out. However I can't say you will for a fact :)

Last edited:

torchomatic

After the first defeat, I would guess. Maybe we could have a poll on which forum member will start the first Thorn Out thread?

@richh87

Or Barton , or Elliott who i think will be a starter unless we sign Polo :)

I keep forgetting about Elliot! With Cody's injury record it's likely Elliot will start.

As for Barton - I think he's a definite starter and that he and Fleck will be brilliant.

dongonzalos

We have at least one on here that says he should start with a clean slate, but we should still get rid of AT even if we win this division :(

I say give it until Xmas to have us in the top 6, but if it all goes Pete Tong then get rid and try to find someone decent for peanuts.

Agree, as long as the playoffs is still a possibilty.

Hope this comment does not distort facts or manipulate statistics. You know what a sneaky politician I am .......

Last edited:

skyblueinBaku

After the first defeat, I would guess. Maybe we could have a poll on which forum member will start the first Thorn Out thread?

There doesn't have to be a 'Thorn Out' thread, Torch. There are a few on here that can write a post castigating AT in any thread on any subject.

torchomatic

True enough, Dors.

There doesn't have to be a 'Thorn Out' thread, Torch. There are a few on here that can write a post castigating AT in any thread on any subject.

skyblue1523

I fear the fans will be on thorns back as soon as we have lost just look at wrexham and how the doom mongers came out. We all need to get behind the team from day 1 show the players some love instead of having a go you never know that might just work.pusb:claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands::claping hands:

Martin180

I keep forgetting about Elliot! With Cody's injury record it's likely Elliot will start.

As for Barton - I think he's a definite starter and that he and Fleck will be brilliant.
I think Elliott will be a great foil for the other players this season ,could well lead the assists

Nick

Administrator
From kick off against Yeovil he should have a clean slate I think with the players he has. Yes I didn't rate him last season but this season I don't think he has many excuses.

I really do hope it is the "haters" turning though and we do well!

torchomatic

In all seriousness I think, Saturday August 18th 2012. 4:50pm.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Last season is done and dusted and as such AT starts with a clean slate in much the same way as the players do.

It will take time for the team to be moulded into an effective unit ...... but even so it is not unreasonable to expect us to have a better win ratio than last year......... by Xmas time we should have a clear idea of whether it is working or not. To be calling for him to go before then doesn't make a lot of sense to me, have to give him a chance to get a new team working.

None of that will stop me questioning decisions he makes or having an opinion but i wont be coming to a conclusion on him until the end of the year really. I hope for all concerned he gets it working well and is safe in his job ..... but at the moment i am not convinced.

getting on his back from the off calling for his sacking is to my mind unfair and wrong

Last edited:

hill83

I'll be fully suppoting Thorn and the team, and will give it 10-15 matches. If we are doing poor, questions need to be asked.

In my opinion though, Thorn does NOT get a clean slate. New players, new season, his own team. Doesn't matter. No clean slate from me.
At the moment* I don't rate the bloke at all.

*Obviously this can change if things drastically improve from last season and the same tired old mistakes stop.

Edit: Tactical mistakes during important moments in games. Not player mistakes, these can and do happen.

johnwillomagic

I keep forgeting Elliott I have to admit.....would normally include Fleck but from recent comments was unsure of this injury status. If fit he will play I reckon.

I still think we will only have four or five new players in the xi max.

I think most/all agree one way or the other Thorn needs to be given a clean slate......it just seems we disagree on the length of time. I think if things going badly leaving it till Christmas is too late to salvage a promotion charge....though it can be done in rare circumstances. I think we should be ok and should start well I hope I am right though. :)

Nonleagueherewecome

Wind your neck in, the 8 players on the pitch I am referring to are our new signings, that can be at any given time. I did not expect or say all of them on the pitch for the first game.

I would expect 4 or 5 on at the same time. However if wood and hussey go that could be 6 or 7.

Sorry john, I forgot you are picking the team for the start of the season, you must be as I am distorting FACTS. You clearly know the line up for a FACT. So Wood and Hussey are staying.

All the experience in the world if you introduce half a new 11 and have half your first 16 as New players. It takes time to gel I am sure even you can work that one out. However I can't say you will for a fact :)

So maybe he's Carl Baker?

Colonel Mustard

There was a legendary college basketball coach in the USA by the name of John Wooden. Results were not his concern, but rather hard effort. And, rightly, he figured that if his squads regularly gave their best, good results would be a natural by-product.

Sums up my feelings towards any manager. A "clean slate" is fairly meaningless; it's about AT showing he has changed and improved as a manger. That's just a continuity from last season...no arbitrary number of games are necessary. I'd rather lose 2-0 with the players giving maximum effort with sound tactics on display than scraping a sheepish victory. The former bodes well, the latter does not.

I think it highly unlikely that dodgy managers become talented managers over a summer, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread