How long before the fans turn this season... (3 Viewers)

Grendel

There was a legendary college basketball coach in the USA by the name of John Wooden. Results were not his concern, but rather hard effort. And, rightly, he figured that if his squads regularly gave their best, good results would be a natural by-product.

Sums up my feelings towards any manager. A "clean slate" is fairly meaningless; it's about AT showing he has changed and improved as a manger. That's just a continuity from last season...no arbitrary number of games are necessary. I'd rather lose 2-0 with the players giving maximum effort with sound tactics on display than scraping a sheepish victory. The former bodes well, the latter does not.

I think it highly unlikely that dodgy managers become talented managers over a summer, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

This is so right and the concern is a poor manager of people is just that regardless of circumstance.

Things should work in his favour as we are much stronger in this league but with that comes expectation.

The question is impossible to answer but lose the first 3 and I think the heat in the kitchen will prove too hot to handle for Mr Thorn.

lordsummerisle

The "gelling" of new players shouldn't be used as any excuse, read the Guardian League One Preview that's on this messageboard and it seems that most teams have had a bigger turnover of players in and out than us.

Of course last year we should have been "gelled" more than most teams as we didn't really sign many new players, but was a problem then apparently.

I hope most teams will be well "jel" of our league position though.

Grendel

Correct. The excuse the new personnel will be a handicap is a nonsense. On that basis Chelsea will be struggling.

mark82

I don't think it is as black and white as how many games. There are a number of situations that could lead to Thorn being sacked:

- Bottom half after 10 games.
- Outside playoffs and not looking likely at Xmas.
- Win first 10 games then lose 6 or 7 on the bounce, even of still in playoffs.

Mr T - Sukka!

Its has to be 10 games in for me, thats the important one. Saturday 29th September 2012.

We would have played 10 games then 9 league and 1 cup game.

Thasts the time to judge. If we are have a stinker of a season we wont be able to pull back the season. History tells us so.

dongonzalos

Correct. The excuse the new personnel will be a handicap is a nonsense. On that basis Chelsea will be struggling.

So Chelsea wil be playing six new players this season and will sack their manager after 10 games if they are not in the top 4 ( their target)

Which I think some people on here are saying, top six after ten games or sack the manager.

I would be interested to see what the media would make of any manager sacked in the prem after 10 games this season. If they are not in the area of their expected target.

Martin180

So Chelsea wil be playing six new players this season and will sack their manager after 10 games if they are not in the top 4 ( their target)

Which I think some people on here are saying, top six after ten games or sack the manager.

I would be interested to see what the media would make of any manager sacked in the prem after 10 games this season. If they are not in the area of their expected target.
Haha how i would love the Chelsea scenario to be the same as ours ,absolute toss !

They can buy 6 players ,have 1 or 2 become starters straight away and hope to integrate the rest

We on the other hand get 6-8 new players and need most of them to become overnight successes ,the comparison is night and day

Nonleagueherewecome

The "gelling" of new players shouldn't be used as any excuse, read the Guardian League One Preview that's on this messageboard and it seems that most teams have had a bigger turnover of players in and out than us.

Of course last year we should have been "gelled" more than most teams as we didn't really sign many new players, but was a problem then apparently.

I hope most teams will be well "jel" of our league position though.

Well no, but we had a bunch of youngsters with zero first team appearances under their belts to "settle in", as well as to learn how to play football at a pro level. I'd say that's an even greater impediment to success.

Macca

I think we should do a "seasons applause" regardless of results and performances sing every players name throughout and maybe a Mexican wave or two if only to shut some of you up.

Seriously I think we should be in with a shout. I don't see us as promotion favorites but I d like to still be in play contention by January. I d be disappointed if we were 8 points or more adrift by then.

Sick Boy

A fairer comparison would be to the Championship, unless somehow a team has got relegated to the Premiership.

johnwillomagic

How many games into the season was avb in before he got the boot last year? The best example which funnily enough no-one can argue with is how mnay games did Bryan Gunn get at Norwich in League 1 before the boot was applied? Many on here would argue far too early.....look where Norwich are now!! :whistle:

Ten league games should be enough to Judge how it is going......and see if going badly if there are any green shoots of recovery or if it ia looking like another season of dross in which case with players at his disposal and league we now find ourselves in if going badly he has to go.

As others have pointed out most lower league teams completely overhaul their squads at the end of each season......Preston for example.......the takes time to "gel" excuse has always been a crap one and always will be particularly in the lower league that we find ourselves in!

johnwillomagic

Just had a look at our actual team today......seems I was not that far off, substitute Brown for Malaga and as I said side contains around seven players who have been at the club for a while! :whistle:

Hoping however Fleck is fit for first game of season......will have Barton or Jennings who will prob get nod over Daniels....both of whom have experience at this level. Looking forward to seeing us v Daggers, interested to see what side is named. I think we should put out a fairly strong XI to be honest, looking at our squad I think it is quite exciting and pretty good for league 1....as I have said before no excusess this year!

dongonzalos

Where do they get these stupid ideas from. Time to gel what a load of rubbish.......... Ask the pro's who have done it.

Frank Lampard has warned Chelsea may take some time to settle as a team after the arrival of several new signings, but he believes the new-look Blues have plenty of potential.

Former Arsenal midfielder Edu believes new recruits need time to gel and form a solid partnership Former Arsenal midfielder Edu strongly believes that the Gunners need some time to come together as a team, as they look to get back into the top half of the table once again.

Forest's in fact, will probably be made up to four players who are entirely new to the club and it will take time for them to gel. They have to get to know each other as players and as people. They must become a unit. That is not easy.. Forest should not panic too early.

johnwillomagic

Even if you buy into the time to gel argument which clearly some do and some don't the fact remains that most league 1 sides have a lot of outgoings and incomings at the end of each season so every team is in the same boat surely?

dongonzalos

Even if you buy into the time to gel argument which clearly some do and some don't the fact remains that most league 1 sides have a lot of outgoings and incomings at the end of each season so every team is in the same boat surely?

Yes does seem to be the case, this season more than ever

Astute

The one thing I have noticed over the years is the closer the players are to each other the quicker they gel.

I remember in the mid to late 80's. I used to bump into players quite frequently whilst out on the p!ss. Rarely bumped into any of them alone though. Would go for a meal and there would be a few of them together with their wives. They would go on the pitch and play for each other. But at times over the years we have seen where they seem to have nothing to do with each other away from the club, then play the same as though they don't know each other. To me it is important to have a close dressing room. Have a larger than life character to keep things close. Do things together away from football. It is as much about team building away from football as building a team to play football.

Users who are viewing this thread