Highfield Road Or The Ricoh ? (1 Viewer)

Otis

The difference is in bigger games there was far more atmosphere and intensity - even with 15,000 in the Ricoh is like a grave yard
Untrue.

We have had some fantastic atmospheres up there with less than 15,000.

Think one game there was just under 12,000 and it was a brilliant atmosphere. Really noisy.

Grendel

Untrue.

We have had some fantastic atmospheres up there with less than 15,000.

Think one game there was just under 12,000 and it was a brilliant atmosphere. Really noisy.

Oh yeah and we had to close 3/4 of the ground which we never did at Highfield Road.

I hate the place. As I say it’s also looking like a dump as well.

SlowerThanPlatt

Was a great game. PNE keeper Simonsen was injured in added time iirc they had already used all 3 subs and we scored 2 after that

The roar after our second and third goal sounds like 30,000

ajsccfc

There was the Dann equaliser against Newcastle that I'd have up there with best moments, but I'm struggling to remember many games that would top that Preston one. I have to be forgetting a few crackers

Terry Gibson's perm

Oh yeah and we had to close 3/4 of the ground which we never did at Highfield Road.

I hate the place. As I say it’s also looking like a dump as well.

It has always had the unfinished look especially on the walk up to the ground

Terry Gibson's perm

Was a great game. PNE keeper Simonsen was injured in added time iirc they had already used all 3 subs and we scored 2 after that

The roar after our second and third goal sounds like 30,000

There is a collectors item a Stuart Beavon goal he must have got as many against us at the Ricoh as he did for is

SlowerThanPlatt

There was the Dann equaliser against Newcastle that I'd have up there with best moments, but I'm struggling to remember many games that would top that Preston one. I have to be forgetting a few crackers

Wolves 08/09 I think when Westwood saved Sylvain Ebanks-Blakes’ last minute pen

Terry Gibson's perm

Yep. Was always convinced they were going to do something there, or stick some structure there of some kind. Don't know why they just left it like that.

For facilities the Ricoh is better as is the seating, but it never really became our home it was always somewhere we played. I am sure they could have redeveloped HR but would that have allowed our board at the time to feather their own nests so successfully?

Nick

Administrator

I think those 2 are most remembered. The Preston keeper trying his best to slow the game down made it better.

Didn't Owen then tear us a new one in extra time for Newcastle?

Not as good as Preston though as I think I did nearly wet myself, a couple of good ones against Peterborough where Noble became Messi.

ajsccfc

I remember it was two seasons in a row we went into half-time 2-0 down to Peterborough and beat them 3-2 full time, imagine being an away fan who came both times. One of them Jim O'Brien came on and seemed to give the kick up the arse we needed, cracking stuff.

olderskyblue

The difference is in bigger games there was far more atmosphere and intensity - even with 15,000 in the Ricoh is like a grave yard

We haven't had many of those "bigger" games at the Ricoh though, but when we have, the atmosphere has been great.

Some games with small crowds have had a poor atmosphere, but others have been terrific. Which game was it when everyone was in the Tesco stand, and it made the atmosphere much better, even though it was a small crowd?

There have been many many games at HR where the atmosphere has been non existent.

Terry Gibson's perm

I remember it was two seasons in a row we went into half-time 2-0 down to Peterborough and beat them 3-2 full time, imagine being an away fan who came both times. One of them Jim O'Brien came on and seemed to give the kick up the arse we needed, cracking stuff.

He marine being a season ticket holder who missed both:emoji_sob:

Skyblueweeman

When you are going to a football match how are conference halls, concert halls and a hotel of any significance whatsoever?

I get yours (and FPs point of view) but in terms of what stadiums mean to clubs nowadays, and the ability to make non-matchday revenues, they're very significant.

In terms of yours or my matchday experience, very little.

In terms of a clubs facility and how it can add to the money pot, very.

Although I concede our specific situation kind of nullifies my point but you get my drift. Stadiums are no longer just about matchday experiences....they're about all year round usage..not just 20-30 days a year.

Otis

We haven't had many of those "bigger" games at the Ricoh though, but when we have, the atmosphere has been great.

Some games with small crowds have had a poor atmosphere, but others have been terrific. Which game was it when everyone was in the Tesco stand, and it made the atmosphere much better, even though it was a small crowd?

There have been many many games at HR where the atmosphere has been non existent.
Yep. Absolutely spot-on and so many years at the Ricoh have been where we were in a permanent spiral of decline.

If that had been HR and the same scenario the atmosphere would have been bloody awful every week and very toxic too.

Gazolba

HR was soulless a lot more than not.

Some awful atmospheres at HR over many years.

If you could look back at the forums from back then fans were always moaning about the poor atmosphere there.
Back when I went to HR, you couldn't look at the forums because there was no internet!

Nick

Administrator
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Original internet GIFs

CovKid73

I'd probably have a bit more affection for the Ricoh if it was actually 'ours' - that said it has been bouncing numerous times.
HR was great (but not all the time) seen plenty of games with zero atmosphere. Don't half miss the Barras though - just the tonic after 2hrs on the M1.

Users who are viewing this thread