Hickman (3 Viewers)

BornSlippySkyBlue

Will be the same group of fans who think it is fine to abuse and scream in a players face at a match but then go crying to the police when the player says something back or makes a gesture.
Probably, some of the responses on Twitter are embarrassing. Never get calling someone a c*nt in these circumstances. Lad made a mistake, might not have a chance to learn from it and our fans gobbing off and @ ing the Sun (of all the rags to pick) etc really won’t help Hickman, the club or anyone else.

Rodders1

A classic case of youth, insecurity, ego, bragging to mates to make an impression and trying to impress birds after being on the booze all day.

Highly regrettable. And totally laughable given that Hickman is no doubt one of the lowest paid in that particular bar whilst trying to act like a gangster/high roller. The unintentional hilarity of the video (for example, Hickman's delusion that he has deep pockets/is God's gift to women/has the most gorgeous eyes and is wanted by the cocktail waitress) is more than enough to make this video to go viral.

But like many others have said - most of us have said things we might heavily regret on reflection when we've been off our heads at a young age. I'm sure grateful that camera phones were not around when I was aged 17-25 to capture some of my 'one off' errors. I'm a really nice guy but I've certainly done things I have regretted (particularly when booze is involved). Part of the growing up process. Add in the ego of being a professional footballer and having certain role models at the club (JCH - gangster etc.) then I can see how this happens. It's also an unfortunate reflection of our culture today whereby being rich/materialistic/trying to act like a high roller seems to be all important. Can't blame all of that on one young guy.

I remember McNulty (who I really like as a person) on a video around the same time this year, pissed up on holiday with mates and announcing he was off to the Championship. These things happen and McNulty is 100 times more mature than Hickman clearly is.

I think the sheer embarrassment and humiliation of the video in the cold light of day is more than enough punishment in this case for Hickman. I'm sure he will mature and learn from this. Time to give the kid a break if this is a one off. The only thing of value from the video (apart from the fantastic comedy) is the implication that Bayliss is off to Villa/Derby etc. for £10K per week.
Spot on

DannyThomas_1981

great user name. Loved little Danny Thomas

Thanks Tisza. Probably the only full back that I remember who created a buzz in the crowd whenever he was on the ball. Very fast, great tackler, fantastic on the overlap but also had vision and a great pass. If not for injury he would in my opinion have been England's full back from 1986 onwards and a key component in the 1990 team. A true Coventry legend who was connected with the club from the age of 10.

rob9872

Probably, some of the responses on Twitter are embarrassing. Never get calling someone a c*nt in these circumstances. Lad made a mistake, might not have a chance to learn from it and our fans gobbing off and @ ing the Sun (of all the rags to pick) etc really won’t help Hickman, the club or anyone else.
Agreed although they wont use it - they'll save it for if he makes it so that they can really derail his career and try to ruin him. Possibly do their best to implicate Bayliss in it too. Vile horrible scumbag journalism.

DannyThomas_1981

Agreed although they wont use it - they'll save it for if he makes it so that they can really derail his career and try to ruin him. Possibly do their best to implicate Bayliss in it too. Vile horrible scumbag journalism.

Agree with both BornSlippy and Rob.

And if we have so called fans shopping one of our young players to the Sun with the intention of damaging the lad's career - they need to take a very hard look in the mirror. More so than Hickman who is guilty of drunken and immature stupidity but is not trying to intentionally damage anyone else.

tisza

Thanks Tisza. Probably the only full back that I remember who created a buzz in the crowd whenever he was on the ball. Very fast, great tackler, fantastic on the overlap but also had vision and a great pass. If not for injury he would in my opinion have been England's full back from 1986 onwards and a key component in the 1990 team. A true Coventry legend who was connected with the club from the age of 10.
agreed, cruel injury.Think he would gone on to play for England too. Heard he's out in Florida now doing his physio work,

Adge

Keep seeing this bollocks excuse “he’s young-he’s on holiday”
In recent times I’m not sure I remember Burge, Willis, Maddison, Stevenson, DKE x2, Finch, Bayliss, Shipley, Luke Thomas et al, some who were probably younger “being young and on holiday”

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Maddison has supposedly been giving it the big "I am" just in this country and Stevenson hardly left with glowing references. Then there's the Camwell rumours. Remember Leon Lobjoit a few years back? Is it just that some of them haven't been stupid enough to film themselves (or lucky enough to not have been filmed) doing shit they shouldn't?

I'm sure most of them are sensible enough for young men brought up in a competitive environment dripping in testosterone in which they don't get to work or interact with (m)any women.

He's old enough to have children, vote and own and operate firearms, so I think he has to be held personally responsible for what he does with a fucking smartphone.

ccfc92

He's a bigger spanner for filming himself doing/saying stuff.

I think if someone else filmed it, maybe would have a bit more sympathy.

I'm not sure what to think, yes he's been a twat, but we all have been at times. Maybe a few weeks wages from his heavy pockets and he will learn his lesson.

DannyThomas_1981

In recent times I’m not sure I remember Burge, Willis, Maddison, Stevenson, DKE x2, Finch, Bayliss, Shipley, Luke Thomas et al, some who were probably younger “being young and on holiday”

You've opened the floodgates here Adge. Looking forward to a 'bag' (a street word I admittedly only learned this week) of posts on how Burge would have dropped the cocktails and failed to get pissed, and how Thomas would have missed an open goal with the cocktail waitress.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

He's only apologised because of the fact it's been put out there and he's got the reaction he's quite rightly receiving.

Not every young person acts like this tosser . Not every young sportsman on holiday gobs off when someone holds a camera to them

He's only apologised because he's pissed people off. Like someone caught with their hand in the till and says " I regret what I did" .....until the next time, when they make sure no-ones watching.

Otis

He's only apologised because of the fact it's been put out there and he's got the reaction he's quite rightly receiving.

Not every young person acts like this tosser . Not every young sportsman on holiday gobs off when someone holds a camera to them

He's only apologised because he's pissed people off. Like someone caught with their hand in the till and says " I regret what I did" .....until the next time, when they make sure no-ones watching.
Well, that's the thing. He had to apologise. Had no choice but to do anything else.

Guess we will never know the sincerity of it. He will obviously say what he feels the club and the fans want to hear.

I have no idea if he is sincere or not.

hill83

Until we can go back in time and see an apology from him for saying "Fuck Cov" in a video he never created, or did create but never got out, I will never forgive him.

covcity4life

Yup spot on. Those defending it are the people that caused broken britain.

No morals and then say my johnnys a good kid he wudnt do no any harm! Why isnhe in jail for GBH?! Its thr disgusting police pigs fault! We r a good family!

King of the Lesbians

Just in case people were wondering about other money slang terms.
A pan is a pony as in panettone.
A front is a score as in front door.
An eddie is a quid as in Eddie Kidd.
And a Kit-Kat is a monkey as in Kit-Kat Chunky.
You're welcome...

DannyThomas_1981

Yup spot on. Those defending it are the people that caused broken britain.

No morals and then say my johnnys a good kid he wudnt do no any harm! Why isnhe in jail for GBH?! Its thr disgusting police pigs fault! We r a good family!

I see your point CCFC4Life and others - gangster life has crept into our society and the world has gone materialistic. I certainly agree that anti-social crimes are not taken seriously enough and dealt with.

In this case though isn't it true though that Hickman hasn't actually harmed/damaged anyone apart from his own reputation? i.e. he hasn't committed GBH, murdered, caused a riot (except on here) or damaged anyone else to my knowledge.

Just a stupid kid making idiotic comments to his mates whilst on an 'all dayer'. I've honestly been there and done that and have heavily regretted it afterwards. My read of Hickman's apology is that he is being sincere in saying sorry. If you met him (when he's not out of his mind) you'd probably like him - just a daft kid right now who's got plenty of growing up to do.

We've all made mistakes (I have) - let's let the kid move on with his life and not blame him entirely for broken Britain.

covcity4life

I see your point CCFC4Life and others - gangster life has crept into our society and the world has gone materialistic. I certainly agree that anti-social crimes are not taken seriously enough and dealt with.

In this case though isn't it true though that Hickman hasn't actually harmed/damaged anyone apart from his own reputation? i.e. he hasn't committed GBH, murdered, caused a riot (except on here) or damaged anyone else to my knowledge.

Just a stupid kid making idiotic comments to his mates whilst on an 'all dayer'. I've honestly been there and done that and have heavily regretted it afterwards. My read of Hickman's apology is that he is being sincere in saying sorry. If you met him (when he's not out of his mind) you'd probably like him - just a daft kid right now who's got plenty of growing up to do.

We've all made mistakes (I have) - let's let the kid move on with his life and not blame him entirely for broken Britain.
I agree mistakes happen but some mkstakes are just plain wrong. Agree social media makes things worse but i am.not sure his apology is sincere. More like damage limitation

rob9872

And it wasn't written by his agent as so many of the top players apologies are
An agent wouldn't have left the poor grammar and misspellings in
A clever agent would to make it more sincere. Third level thinking :)

Users who are viewing this thread