Heresey (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Might get slated for this, but.... does anyone else not give a monkey's about the JPT??

For the last few days the Crewe game has dominated this board - I see the whole competition as a tinpot cup which, even last season, never crossed our minds.

I am far more excited about our promotion prospects. If I come across a Wembley ticket (if we get there), I would go to the JPT final, but I just can't get excited about it at all.

Anyone else here feel the same way?

SkyBlueArmy12

Well since I've been born (1988). All we have done is been relegated so I'd say your an utter moron for not wanting to win this trophy it would a great achievement for this squad and if I'm honest the effort they have put in recently within the league and this cup they deserve some sort of reward. If you ain't bothered about city winning a trophy don't bother coming to wembley son!

CJparker

I never said that I didn't want us to win - just that I don't care that much.

*You're* 24 years old - didn't they teach you grammar at school?

CovFan

I care about it because its a game we've got a chance of winning, it'll get us to Wembley which is brilliant and keep the momentum going in the very important promotion race we are currently in. Victory breeds belief breeds victory and so on.

CJparker

I live about 5 miles away in London, so if all my City mates go, I will go along if someone puts a ticket on a plate for me. Other than that, who cares?

Grendel

I live about 5 miles away in London, so if all my City mates go, I will go along if someone puts a ticket on a plate for me. Other than that, who cares?

I think now I am worried as I do agree.

Grendel

I care about it because its a game we've got a chance of winning, it'll get us to Wembley which is brilliant and keep the momentum going in the very important promotion race we are currently in. Victory breeds belief breeds victory and so on.

Very few winners get promoted in the same season.

Paxman II

I'm on record already saying I wanted us to primarily concentrate on the league and hope no injuries or suspensions acrue from playing in this minor league trophy.

Goes without saying the promotion chances are far more important. However some and I can include myself here too, will argue that a cup win or visit to Wembley will give us added impetus for the league by harnessing some extra spirit and belief in the team. So I'm not totally against it.

Lets all be honest we want to win something we have come this far in if it involves Wembley and any kind of cup win right?
But that does not preclude the most important task...to get to the play off's at least and hopefully get promoted.

If you could trade the JPT cup for a promotion win which would you take?
Lets hope we can achieve both.

If I had to choose then I'd pick the league over any one off scenario that reaps very little except 5 minutes glory.

Last edited:

Bugsy

I'm on record already saying I wanted us to primarlily concentrate on the league and hope no injuries or suspensions acrue from playing in this minor league trophy.
Goes without saying the promotion chances are far more important. However some and I can include myself here too, will argue that a cup win or visit to Webley will give us added impetus for the league. So I'm not totally against it. Lets all be honest we want to win something we have come this far in if it involves Wembley and any kind of cup win right?
But that does not preclude the most important task...to get to the play offs at least and hopefully get promoted.
If you could trade the JPT cup for a promotion win which would you take?
Lets hope we can achieve both.

If I had to choose then I'd pick the league over any one off scenario that reaps very little except 5 minutes glory.

I hear what your saying and i agree to a certain extent, but its more than just 5 minutes of glory, Its history and Its something to be Proud of as a football club, main focus should be on the league and gain promotion, but we are due abit of success, so come the 5th and the 20th of feb lets just stick are party hats on and enjoy it......PUSB

Otis

I think it is rather snobbish to look down on this trophy and a trip to Wembley as mildly diverting and just tinpot.

I always did think the JPT was tinpot, but we were in the Championship and before that, the Premier.

We are now a League One club. This is the trophy for League One and League Two clubs. We have to accept where we are and embrace it for what it is.

I find it astonishing that anyone could talk of disinterest in going to Wembley and winning a trophy etc.

And this statement 'I live about 5 miles away in London, so if all my City mates go, I will go along if someone puts a ticket on a plate for me. Other than that, who cares?' even more astonishing!

We are not a big club anymore, we are a League One club. Get over it and get on with it. We have had no success of any kind for 26 years for god's sake. It is no wonder that there is a real buzz amongst fellow City fans about a trip to Wembley and the possibility of actually winning something.

Success breeds success. Success breeds confidence amongst players and fans alike and should also result in an increase in attendances.

I do find this 'disinterest' a little bit insulting to be honest.

Get off your high horses and be 100% behind a trophy for League One and League Two clubs. We can't win the FA Cup, we can't win the League Cup. We can win this!

Last edited:

Astute

I think it is rather snobbish to look down on this trophy and a trip to Wembley as mildly diverting and just tinpot.

I always did think the JPT was tinpot, but we were in the Championship and before that, the Premier.

We are now a League One club. This is the trophy for League One and League Two clubs. We have to accept where we are and embrace it for what it is.

I find it astonishing that anyone could talk of disinterest in going to Wembley and winning a trophy etc.

And this statement 'I live about 5 miles away in London, so if all my City mates go, I will go along if someone puts a ticket on a plate for me. Other than that, who cares?' even more astonishing!

We are not a big club anymore, we are a League One club. Get over it and get on with it. We have had no success of any kind for 26 years for god's sake. It is no wonder that there is a real buzz amongst fellow City fans about a trip to Wembley and the possibility of actually winning something.

Success breeds success. Success breeds confidence amongst players and fans alike and should also result in an increase in attendances.

Get off your high horses and be 100% behind a trophy for League One and League Two clubs. We can't win the FA Cup, we can't win the League Cup. We can win this!

To most it is a tinpot competition. But if we win it the tinpot will suddenly become a good trophy to win.

thechase

I was 6 when we won the FA Cup and ever since its been my dream to watch City play at Wembley. I couldnt care less what trophy its for or who we play it would make my childhood dream become a reality. Anybody who thinks its an 'irrelevance' clearly hasnt supported City as long as me or just really lives in a deluded world where we 'shouldnt be playing' in such a cup.

Macca

To me it is an utter joke and couldn't care less whether we win it or not. However it is a great opportunity for long term suffering fans to get something back with a day out to remember

kingharvest

I care.

We entered 4 competitions this year, only 4. 1 more than any other season. FA cup and capital one are really hard to so anything in, and the league, although clearly the priority, is a long game. So you don't whine and moan about the other one, you jus go an win it. Why wouldn't you?

Plus it might be important to have already been to wembley once this season come may....

rupert_bear

After over 45 years of nothing apart from 1987 this club needs a launch pad, 50 years ago we had it with a cup run to the quarter finals which gave Jimmy Hill the momentum to elevate us to the dizzy heights of the top division. As small fry as it is we need that JPT Wembley appearance. Who knows what it might attract.

skyblue19

Well it seems an extra 10k + seem to think the jpt is more important than the play offs! Enjoy the cup run while we can. Today and next Friday are 2 games that ultimately could see whether we get in the top 6, if we get nothing from them you might find yourself first in line to get a ticket for wembley should we get there.

Otis

Well it seems an extra 10k + seem to think the jpt is more important than the play offs! Enjoy the cup run while we can. Today and next Friday are 2 games that ultimately could see whether we get in the top 6, if we get nothing from them you might find yourself first in line to get a ticket for wembley should we get there.

But we're not in the play-offs. The play-offs aren't til the end of the season.

If and when we get into the play-offs and tickets are available for any home leg then we'll get the same excitement and response from fans in terms of tickets and anticipation.

skyblue19

Fair point, just think its strange to say don't care about getting to wembley for the jpt. Plus one of the best finishes to a game came from the last round which must of had people on a high for a few days after, it's a shame some don't want to join in.

Stevearcade

My mrs is a chelsea fan and laughs at me for getting excited about the jpt. But we've had so much sadness and negativity for over a decade now and had the worst slump I've ever seen us have at the start of this season, anything that gives our boys a confidence boost and he fans something to cheer about is a good thing. Furthermore it could raise our profile, bringing in possibly better sponsorship deals and urge sisu to perhaps pull their finger out and help sort out the stadium issue which still looms over us somewhat.

shmmeee

I support my club and want them to win everything they can.

I feel sorry for the "too cool for school" crowd who feel its tinpot. Life's meant to be enjoyed, cheer up.

Mucca Mad Boys

I care more about the JPT than the FA and League cup, why? We're don't stand a chance in any of them (fair to Bradford, but it was a phluke) but we can actually win the JPT, day out in Wembley, maybe 40k CCFC fans, possibly seeing Baker lift a trophy?

I bet Man U fans don't care about the League Cup, until they get to the final.

hatchett87

Thank you, Otis. I can't stand this modern way of thinking whereby some matches are not actually important. I've watched football since the 80's, and back then, teams just went out to win every game. Players are supposed to be fitter etc now, so why can't they try for each match? We're talking about a potential trophy so how anyone can't be interested is staggering to me. Football is about trying to win, trying to achieve something. It may be the only chance a lot of us get to go to Wembley, so enjoy it!

kg82

My mrs is a chelsea fan and laughs at me for getting excited about the jpt. But we've had so much sadness and negativity for over a decade now and had the worst slump I've ever seen us have at the start of this season, anything that gives our boys a confidence boost and he fans something to cheer about is a good thing. Furthermore it could raise our profile, bringing in possibly better sponsorship deals and urge sisu to perhaps pull their finger out and help sort out the stadium issue which still looms over us somewhat.

How old is your missus mate? I've got a mate who's a Chelsea fan and he doesn't take the piss at all, he actually know's what it's like to be shit! He used to go when they were in the old Division 2 - not too long before the Premier League was set up!

Mucca Mad Boys

I suppose the teams in the FA Vase wouldn't care about it because it's 'tinpot'.

Grendel

I suppose the teams in the FA Vase wouldn't care about it because it's 'tinpot'.

The FA vase has far more pedigree. It is the non league FA cup. A new trophy that only allows lower non League teams in it would be a better comparison.

This is not a new view by the way. I never saw any point in Simod or zenith data or whatever it was called and likewise the Watney or Texeco cup would have no appeal but they were before my time.

Gaz

I honestly couldn't have put it better myself Otis.

Very valid points that we all must accept.
We are a league one club now, and would do well to remember that.
Getting to Wembley with the city and seeing a mass of skyblues supporters everywhere, will be the height of club football for me,whatever the competition.

Also we shouldn't forget the impact that this cup run could have on new fans.
How many times have you heard from someone who simply said, I just went to one game and then was hooked for life ?
Well this Wembley final ( should we get there ) could be that day/ match where a new skyblues fan is born.
People around the city and surrounding areas are talking about football with a smile on there faces and a buzz of excitement.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
All trophys are "trophys"! By that, I mean, it takes the best to win them! I would LOVE us to lift the JPT because it would show all those around us that we are the BEST out there! Sure, there are teams in the Championship and Prem that, at the moment, are far superior to us, but where we are now is where we have to accept that the JPT is OUR trophy to play for, so I also say to the "we're too good for this" crowd, get off your high & mighty horses and step back to see our position. Until we return to higher leagues, this is what we will be playing for! Emrace it! I wish I could be at Wembley when we get there!

ps. Can't understand the thread title? HERESEY? WTF is that all about?

Last edited:

lordsummerisle

I would LOVE us to lift the JPT because it would show all those around us that we are the BEST out there! QUOTE]

Were Chesterfield the BEST out there when they won it last season(and got relegated)?

I expect Carlisle must be the BEST team there has ever been after being in SIX Football League Trophy finals, and winning it TWICE!

I hope we can get win it this year, and stay down here a few more seasons so we have a chance to try and knock Carlisle off their perch, the cocky bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread