Heat (4 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

Ive lived in 45-50 degree heat for several months before with no air con and my best advice is to stay indoors .. you will be fine .. some absolute morons will be caught out and yes sadly some vulnerable will too
My indoors is a poorly ventilated flat with soft furnishings that often feels hotter than outdoors anyway.

It's only a couple of days so I'll just battle through and request to work in the evenings or something if I have to.

Still absurd that the country is going to break its record ever head by over 3 degrees and the morons all over Facebook are shouting "get over it it's summer"

Ian1779

I have seen some are saying just go in PE kit, that's much better. Nobody wants a fucking blazer and tie in this.
A lot of schools have been doing that for a week or so now - but this level of heat is a step up. Schools aren’t designed with Air Conditioning generally.

Nick

Administrator
Just been told that at work theres a huge delivery coming that would mean about 4 or 5 people to unload a lorry of about 40-50 things the same size and weight as a big fridge freezer on wheels. Then move them into place.

Good luck with that one on Tuesday.

Evo1883

People on socials saying " it's just summer " I agree on the whole this is very normal , this summer so far has been worse than 2003 overall

However having spikes of 38- 40 is not NORMAL for the UK and I believe that's the difference

As time goes by these spikes become frequent then eventually normal

NorthernWisdom

People on socials saying " it's just summer " I agree on the whole this is very normal , this summer so far has been worse than 2003 overall

However having spikes of 38- 40 is not NORMAL for the UK and I believe that's the difference

Yeah today's lovely! If it could just stay like this I'd be happy. Can't cope when I melt into the armchair though - and cooking becomes a true ordeal.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think these heatwaves will be a regular fixture each summer. As yet there isn’t a legal maximum (or minimum) working temperature, there really should be.

Evo1883

Yeah today's lovely! If it could just stay like this I'd be happy. Can't cope when I melt into the armchair though - and cooking becomes a true ordeal.

23 degrees sun and some cloud cover here and there is arguably perfect weather

Evo1883

Been told that Birmingham and Solihull are actively considering closing schools on those days. Nothing yet on Cov and Warwickshire.

Well my daughters school have already ditched school uniforms Monday and Tuesday for PE kit.. I'm thinking closures may end up being the way

Nick

Administrator
I think these heatwaves will be a regular fixture each summer. As yet there isn’t a legal maximum (or minimum) working temperature, there really should be.

Yeah there should.

I think there are guidelines though (and it also depends on the job and conditions).

Grendel

Yeah there should.

I think there are guidelines though (and it also depends on the job and conditions).

I doubt hospitals will close and they’ll be pretty hot

Saddlebrains

I think its mad there isn't an upper limit for heat and workplaces.

This country doesn't have aircon, all houses ceramic floors, no insulation etc.

Everything's designed for cold weather

to chuck 40 degree heat at it for days on end is a recipe for a lot of severe illness even deaths, yet some people will see it as an excuse to get pissed up and burn. Be the same ones taking up space in A+E

Nick

Administrator
I doubt hospitals will close and they’ll be pretty hot

That's why I put dependant on the job, they aren't going to just turn everything off and go home to sit in the garden :)

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy being on a hospital ward with no air con and lots of illness.

Sick Boy

There's a drought in northern Italy and a state of emergency until the end of the year...it's definitely not normal.

PVA

I'll definitely be coming into the office next week, we have lovely air con here!

I am a bit worried about my 18 month old daughter though, going to be difficult to get her to sleep in the evening, she was very sweaty the other day when it was 'only' 30 degrees

eastwoodsdustman

Sun's out Gun's out as the saying goes and if you've got tattoo's then its the perfect weather to show them off :LOL:
I was driving in to work in Northampton yesterday and at 8.45 there was a bloke with his t shirt tied round his waist showing his body beautiful to anyone who wanted to see it. It certainly brings a certain type of person out.
Personally I hate the hot weather.

Hertsccfc

At least we have a Government that is visionary on climate change and great at planning for emergency situations and doesn't just wait until things are serious.

Users who are viewing this thread