Has a second leg of a cup game ever been more pointless? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Really stupid of the FA (or whichever body it is) to make Man City play both tonight and tomorrow.

Crazy.

I know it is an U21 team supposedly in the EFL Trophy, but that rules out any of that side bring able to be picked for the Carabou Cup game.

CJ_covblaze

Really stupid of the FA (or whichever body it is) to make Man City play both tonight and tomorrow.

Crazy.

I know it is an U21 team supposedly in the EFL Trophy, but that rules out any of that side bring able to be picked for the Carabou Cup game.

It's stupid. The sooner the EFL take it back to how it was before the better.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Crazy.

But that's not different to our U23 playing Fri and the first team Sat. There's more chance one of our U23 being in the first team than there.

Otis

But that's not different to our U23 playing Fri and the first team Sat. There's more chance one of our U23 being in the first team than there.
But this is the cup and clubs do rest players for cup competitions if they deem them to be of less importance than the league.

Bit different to a U21 game on a Friday and a league game on a Saturday.

Man City from the first leg have earned the right to rest players for the second.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

This thread got me thinking about city 2 legged games I remember the 5-1 defeat away at Tranmere (Nuzzo one & only appearance in goal conceding all 5 in one half) and going to the 2nd leg at HR and it being 3-0 I think at ht but the game ending 3-1 (agg 4-6)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But this is the cup and clubs do rest players for cup competitions if they deem them to be of less importance than the league.

Bit different to a U21 game on a Friday and a league game on a Saturday.

Man City from the first leg have earned the right to rest players for the second.

Why is it different? Manchester City aren't playing tonight. Manchester City U23's are. Technically two separate teams of players, coaching and management.

I can see most first team players being rested in Caraboa Cup and a mix of U21 and academy players used in both games. Just depends on which fixture Pep thinks will be most useful to their development - a meaningless game in a slightly bigger competition at Burton or a more competitive game in a competition watched by a man and his dog.

For me, it'll be those nearer the first team at Burton because it classes as a first team game.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Remember going to the away leg, we were shocking

Only game I've ever left early. Missed their final goal. Didn't David Burrows lob his boots at someone after getting sent off.

Not surprised that deal to take Juve kids on loan didn't last long - the two or three they sent were absolutely shocking and Nuzzo was truly, truly awful. Even Debec was better than him!

Otis

Screenshot_20190122-200723.png

That kind of points to kids in tomorrow doesn't it?

Seems they have picked from their U18's and lower tonight and then the U21 players will be selected tomorrow night.

Otis

Why is it different? Manchester City aren't playing tonight. Manchester City U23's are. Technically two separate teams of players, coaching and management.

I can see most first team players being rested in Caraboa Cup and a mix of U21 and academy players used in both games. Just depends on which fixture Pep thinks will be most useful to their development - a meaningless game in a slightly bigger competition at Burton or a more competitive game in a competition watched by a man and his dog.

For me, it'll be those nearer the first team at Burton because it classes as a first team game.
It is different because Man City clearly wanted to play kids tomorrow.

In order to do so they have had to pick a shed load of 16 and 17 year olds tonight. 5 of tonight's team are 16 or 17, so 16 year olds against what is surely a strongish, first teamer Sunderland side.

Covstu

It is different because Man City clearly wanted to play kids tomorrow.

In order to do so they have had to pick a shed load of 16 and 17 year olds tonight. 5 of tonight's team are 16 or 17, so 16 year olds against what is surely a strongish, first teamer Sunderland side.
How do you know? Might put a fullteam out and try and kill em

Otis

How do you know? Might put a fullteam out and try and kill em
Yeah, a guesstimate for sure, but why not then play U21'S players tonight?

9 of their starting 11 are 18 and under. Surely that points to the resting of those who are 19-21 and the remaining 18 year olds.

Otis

Not sure.

Guess we will only find out for sure tomorrow as to what the thinking is when Pep picks his side.

Grendel

Not sure.

Guess we will only find out for sure tomorrow as to what the thinking is when Pep picks his side.

Who cares?

Otis

Ha. So you have too come on a thread and then post on that thread that you don't care.

Won't expect anymore replied from you on this matter then. ;)

no_loyalty

I hope Aguero scores at least three goals tonight, as I could do with the points in the Sun dream team.

Users who are viewing this thread