Has a second leg of a cup game ever been more pointless? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Man City 7 nil up against Burton in the 1st leg of the Carabou cup and there is still 22 mins to go.

Ian1779

For the 2nd leg the City 11 should pick their positions out of a hat..
Ederson up top
Sterling, Silva and Sane centre backs.
Aguero in goal.

Otis

It's now 9 nil, but you have to think if Burton get an early goal in the 2nd leg it could be game on.

What does Clough now do? Pick his best team, or blood some squad players?

You have to think the Man City team will be made up entirely of fringe players.

Last edited:

Paul Anthony

Always enjoy seeing a good, close game of football.

If Burton score, they win by 1 goal to 9 yes?

Ian1779

To be fair - it’s nice to see them be quite reserved and humble at the end... no arrogance and plenty of handshakes.

Paul Anthony

It's now 9 nil, but you have to think if Burton get an early goal in the 2nd leg it could be game on.

What does Clough now do? Pick his best team, or blood some squad players?

You have to think the Man City team will be made up entirely of fringe players.

Will Man City play for a draw in the second leg?

It's either going to be the greatest sporting comeback in history... Or a total bore fest.

Otis

Now here's a question .......if you were a Burton fan would you still go to the second leg now?

I know some go to see the big teams and star players, but for me I only go to see the City play and nowt else.

Not sure if I would still go, but I suppose all the tickets are already sold.

At least Burton will make a bit of money from the half and half scarves.

CJ_covblaze

You know what they always say. 9-0 is the worst lead you can have.

Covstu

Do you think any burton fans have booked hotels for Wembley just in Case? :dead::dead:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Now here's a question .......if you were a Burton fan would you still go to the second leg now?

I know some go to see the big teams and star players, but for me I only go to see the City play and nowt else.

Not sure if I would still go, but I suppose all the tickets are already sold.

At least Burton will make a bit of money from the half and half scarves.

I would without doubt still go. A club like burton have massively overachieved to be in the league cup semi finals and regardless of their result against one of the very best sides in Europe, the players deserve the support and recognition for their achievement. Add to that, I’d happily part with the entrance fee alone to watch this Man City team play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

I would without doubt still go. A club like burton have massively overachieved to be in the league cup semi finals and regardless of their result against one of the very best sides in Europe, the players deserve the support and recognition for their achievement. Add to that, I’d happily part with the entrance fee alone to watch this Man City team play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You wouldn't get to to see this Man City team though would you?

Surely it will be without the stars. Man City have so many games to come with the Champions League etc. Surely it will be a pale shadow of a Man City side.

Terry Gibson's perm

I heard on the radio this morning that Man City has been disrespectful of burton by smashing them, I would say the opposite they must have picked a good side showing total respect.

Nick

Administrator
I can't see how it's disrespectful.

It's more disrespectful to fans, football and the competition if they are fielding 11 under 18's or something in a semi final.

People need to man up, they are too used to this culture where everybody is a winner.

Johnnythespider

When the second leg kicks off each Burton player should 2 foot a designated City player, thus leaving the ref with no choice but to send them all off, game over, problem solved and everybody goes home with their heads held high.

Covstu

I can't see how it's disrespectful.

It's more disrespectful to fans, football and the competition if they are fielding 11 under 18's or something in a semi final.

People need to man up, they are too used to this culture where everybody is a winner.
Totally agree, in the semi finals so why wouldn’t they play a strong side? It’s surely more patronising to play a team of kids particularly if you are still likely to lose. They then get criticised for not taking the foot off the gas during the game, so what do they do just knock it about and humiliate Burton by showboating for the last 30 mins? Most league one clubs would have been on the end of that type of result and shows the gulf in class but personally I would rather go and play any team at their best rather than a third string side as there is some arrogance or obligation to try and balance the team.
I would like to see city offer the 2nd legs money to Burton however as they have made that game a non event, I think that would show further class by the club

ajsccfc

Popping a quid on Burton at 40/1 to win the home leg, I assume Man City will just play the nearest kids they can get names printed for who will just spend the 90 mins on Snapchat.

skybluesam66

in response to the original question - what about the Anglo Scottish Cup winners Cup of 1987

The 2nd leg was so pointless, we are still waiting for it

Otis

22/1 for a Burton win and both teams to score in the return leg tomorrow.

Very good odds that I would say.

Nick

Administrator
Burton should pick their strongest side to show respect to Man City who picked a strong side in the first leg and will have a strong side in this one

It would be more entertaining if they let fans play and would make 11 fans dreams come true.

Plus I want to see Big Dave the Sunday League Defender try and chase Sterling down the wing.

Hopefully Man City will play another strong team and won't go easy at all. Doesn't matter if it ends up 10-0.

Users who are viewing this thread