Happy St George’s day to you all (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

My point isn't about Tory versus Labour. It is about the fact that each time our 'national' day comes round, it descends into a shame fest. We must be one of the only countries in the world where that is the case.

Does it? Who is shaming here and we’ve got loads of wokies.

I’m pretty woke and I completely agree we need to celebrate it more. Even the squeamish soft left understand they need to at the very least STFU. A few edgy kids on Twitter don’t mean shit. They’re an excuse for us not to do more IMO.

NorthernWisdom

I’m pretty woke and I completely agree we need to celebrate it more. Even the squeamish soft left understand they need to at the very least STFU. A few edgy kids on Twitter don’t mean shit. They’re an excuse for us not to do more IMO.
He didn't even know it was St George's Day himself. He seems to be bothered that some other people can't be bothered about a day he isn't bothered about! Could almost suggest it's a desperate attempt to manufacture controversy...

shmmeee

He didn't even know it was St George's Day himself. He seems to be bothered that some other people can't be bothered about a day he isn't bothered about! Could almost suggest it's a desperate attempt to manufacture controversy...

Not just him though is it? It’s a whole media-politics complex with total control of the country telling him we can’t do it or the blue fringes will cry.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's not just edgy kids on twitter, it comes up as a topic of conversation every year.

Kings Day (as you'll know well) is a prime example, brings the whole country together. We should do something like that here. Boats and booze also fine.

NorthernWisdom

Not just him though is it? It’s a whole media-politics complex with total control of the country telling him we can’t do it or the blue fringes will cry.
I don't get it tbh. Nobody has complained about St George's Day, apart from maybe Tony. Nobody has said don't celebrate it - people can knock themselves out (or one off) over it.

But it appears the Woke is the latest go-to conspiracy.

shmmeee

It's not just edgy kids on twitter, it comes up as a topic of conversation every year.

Kings Day (as you'll know well) is a prime example, brings the whole country together. We should do something like that here. Boats and booze also fine.

Yeah we should. And I’ve honestly never met a real life person who doesn’t love a bit of flag shagging and beer, and those that do stay at home when it’s happening anyway.

To be fair, it doesn’t need to come from the top, but a bit hard these days to get a campaign off the ground for everyone to celebrate it properly without a day to coalesce around.

Grendel

Is it?

I thought paganism or something? It’s all Morris dancing and May poles 🤷

Was more thinking it’s easier to nick an existing bank holiday and May Day is a bit crap.

I have checked. Yes May Day is a day of the solstice but it’s the bank holiday that was introduced by the Labour Party in 1978 by Michael Foot to celebrate Labour Day

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

So, you give me a barrage of abuse (as seen below m'lud), then block me. Now you still cannot stop taking swipes at me through quoting other people's posts.

Fuck off you total wanker
Fuck off you absiolutely clueless cretin.
Fuck you, prick.

Not sure what your problem is, but you need to grow up.

shmmeee

I have checked. Yes May Day is a day of the solstice but it’s the bank holiday that was introduced by the Labour Party in 1978 by Michael Foot to celebrate Labour Day

Ah, didn’t know that!

Not sure I’d equate the eight hour work day with communism.

Grendel

For the record I don’t care less about St George’s day - it’s a Patron Saints Day so would be better to have it than May Day I suppose as there’s two bank holidays in May so yeah but hardly a big thing to
Me

Evo1883

Saw the title, expected a bit of a bicker 😆

Never celebrated St George's day on a personal level tbh .

Grendel

Never got the flag waving either in truth. I see it as the type of thing mad old women do at Wimbledon for Tim Henman. Never see the point

Evo1883

Like I've said before , sports I'm mad for England obviously.
But I've always just seen myself as British first , I think the forces did that to me tbh
Wearing the union flag on your arm every day , union flags everywhere etc etc ..

British - English

Either way , happy St George's day

Ian1779

I don't get it tbh. Nobody has complained about St George's Day, apart from maybe Tony. Nobody has said don't celebrate it - people can knock themselves out (or one off) over it.

It’s all these right-wing snowflakes getting outraged we aren’t celebrating it, whilst simultaneously making no effort to celebrate it.

skybluetony176

I didn’t complain about it. Just find it ironic in the current political climate. There’s a lot of very public people and organisations who get angry about Johnny Foreigner arriving on our shores with their culture and belief systems and then consider themselves the ultimate patriot for celebrating a Johnny Foreigner arriving on our shores with his culture and belief systems. Usually atheists too just for added irony.

Evo1883

I didn’t complain about it. Just find it ironic in the current political climate. There’s a lot of very public people and organisations who get angry about Johnny Foreigner arriving on our shores with their culture and belief systems and then consider themselves the ultimate patriot for celebrating a Johnny Foreigner arriving on our shores with his culture and belief systems. Usually atheists too just for added irony.

Atheism is sensible tbh
giphy.gif

But that's another discussion

skybluetony176

Atheism is sensible tbh
giphy.gif
I’m an atheist myself. A hypocrite also as I celebrate Xmas the same as anyone else and if we did get an extra bank holiday for St George’s day I’d gladly take it. I just wouldn’t spend it getting angry at boats arriving on the south coast.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Yeah,you on number three?
Correct?😊
Yep. My current missus is Polish/Lithuanian. Been together for 25 years and married for the last 19 of them. I reckon I'll call it a day now!

Evo1883

I’m an atheist myself. A hypocrite also as I celebrate Xmas the same as anyone else and if we did get an extra bank holiday for St George’s day I’d gladly take it. I just wouldn’t spend it getting angry at boats arriving on the south coast.

I don't know mate , don't wish to argue, it's just a day really

Liquid Gold

I’m 10x more ‘woke’ than the tonester but I can still appreciate the National day. We don’t celebrate it enough. Pouring scorn on it gives it to the far right. Fuck that, I like this country, we do many things so well and we should have one day where we celebrate the good things. We’ve done many bad things too but I we should come to terms with that through the year.

Happy St. George’s day and let’s win the ducking euros.

bringbackrattles

Most of them are! This is my missus and daughter......
View attachment 19761
My next door neighbour is Polish, he had a bust up with his missus a few months ago, and he told me the other day she's gone back home to Poland. He's been on the vodka more than usual. Their daughter used to pop round a lot and she was gorgeous, but since his missus left she hasn't been round so may have gone back home too ?

hill83

I’m 10x more ‘woke’ than the tonester but I can still appreciate the National day. We don’t celebrate it enough. Pouring scorn on it gives it to the far right. Fuck that, I like this country, we do many things so well and we should have one day where we celebrate the good things. We’ve done many bad things too but I we should come to terms with that through the year.

Happy St. George’s day and let’s win the ducking euros.

If people on here are trying to make it about 'wokeness' and left and right and Englishness and all that, surely the fact I'm the second post and stating I celebrate it put a bit of an early spanner in the works, ha ha.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I still don't know what the hell this "woke" thing is? Can someone explain to an old fogey (who doesn't really give a shit, it's just that I don't want to sound too old when in a conversation with younger people! 😂 )

hill83

I still don't know what the hell this "woke" thing is? Can someone explain to an old fogey (who doesn't really give a shit, it's just that I don't want to sound too old when in a conversation with younger people! 😂 )

Basically "alert to injustice in society, especially racism." But it's been hijacked to insult people. I'll happily be called woke.
In fact I struggle to see how it can be an insult. Like when someone calls me a leftie. Erm yeah, I am thanks.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

If people on here are trying to make it about 'wokeness' and left and right and Englishness and all that, surely the fact I'm the second post and stating I celebrate it put a bit of an early spanner in the works, ha ha.
Sorry mate that’s gone over my head

Liquid Gold

Basically with my political views and ethnicity and family heritage and nationality I'd be the last person you'd expect to celebrate it.

Saying that, any excuse for a piss up.
That’s the problem with it though ain’t it. It shouldn’t be owned by the dickheads be proud of all of what this country is, not just roast beef and Union Jack shorts, we got jerk chicken and dub sound systems and they’re as English as the rest.

Those example came because I’m in a jerk dub bar

skybluetony176

At its most basic it means you’re tolerant. For instance if I defend your right to have a foreign wife and that foreign wife to live with you in the U.K. to a racist who for no logical reason doesn’t agree with me they’d label me woke.

Users who are viewing this thread