Happy St George’s day to you all (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

No way they’d do that so close to the May one, you’re not in Italy ;)
We need a bank holiday in the autumn, move early may to autumn and have St Geroges day. May as well chuck another in while they're at it, 10 is a nice round number. I say my birthday would do.

skybluetony176

Happy St George’s day everyone.

It is kind of ironic though that if a Turk arrived by boat today to deliver a Middle East religion the right wing populist press would lose their shit and the populist right wing government would have deported him.

shmmeee

Disappointed to see no bunting or anything when I just went into Earlsdon to do the school run. Would’ve thought at least Spoons would have something.

shmmeee

Think we should bin St George off TBH and do May Day properly. Already have the bank holiday, just do a load of England patriotism stuff then. We really do miss a proper national holiday. The missus was saying how she’s shocked we don’t have it, telling me about Kings Day in the Netherlands and how good it is.

NorthernWisdom

Think we should bin St George off TBH and do May Day properly. Already have the bank holiday, just do a load of England patriotism stuff then. We really do miss a proper national holiday. The missus was saying how she’s shocked we don’t have it, telling me about Kings Day in the Netherlands and how good it is.
Think the main problem is, our equivalent would have been Empire Day, and that didn't age too well!

The Great Eastern

I put a post on Nextdoor saying Happy St George's Day and then complained about the site not putting anything up themselves. Last month, on St Patrick's Day, they bombarded everybody with green and white pages of stuff. I recognise its trendy to celebrate Irelands patron saint but what about our own countries fellow ??? I'm a proud Engishman and not a far right, Tommy Robinson supporting, moronic type !
Definitely think there should be big recognition of our saint and a bank holiday would go down well too....

shmmeee

I put a post on Nextdoor saying Happy St George's Day and then complained about the site not putting anything up themselves. Last month, on St Patrick's Day, they bombarded everybody with green and white pages of stuff. I recognise its trendy to celebrate Irelands patron saint but what about our own countries fellow ??? I'm a proud Engishman and not a far right, Tommy Robinson supporting, moronic type !
Definitely think there should be big recognition of our saint and a bank holiday would go down well too....

It’s a Seppo run business, Paddy’s is big over there.

Grendel

May Day is communist revolution rubbish isn’t it?

Grendel

I knew someone would, and it doesn't surprise me that it was you.

He’s so woke these days is the Tonester - gone are the UKIP worshipping, the “I vote Tory” and the monkey boy insults. He’s gone the full Bercow - extreme right wing fool to a dribbling populist moron is

shmmeee

May Day is communist revolution rubbish isn’t it?

Is it?

I thought paganism or something? It’s all Morris dancing and May poles 🤷

Was more thinking it’s easier to nick an existing bank holiday and May Day is a bit crap.

NorthernWisdom

Morris dancing
A heathenish and unlawful custom… the observation whereof tendeth to draw together a great concourse of loose people and consequently to the hazard of public peace besides other evil consequences.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think our equivalent would be coronation day. We could do that as a bank holiday every year rather than just on jubilee year’s.

Yes, but then in a few years time you would be calling that racist too.

If we had our own 'kings day' like they do in The Netherlands, it would get lost in wokeness in no time at all.

shmmeee

Yes, but then in a few years time you would be calling that racist too.

If we had our own 'kings day' like they do in The Netherlands, it would get lost in wokeness in no time at all.

No evidence for that though is there? It’s just an excuse why despite being in power for a decade and apparently really wanting it, it hasn’t been done.

The only party to try and celebrate St George’s has ever been Labour, you may not like that, and it may be for naked political reasons, but you gotta ask why we don’t do more as a country that has more Conservative governments than not. Its an easy win and removed a popular policy from the opposition.

At some point you guys on the right are going to have to come to terms with the fact that you’re in power and you can’t claim everything’s being stopped by the elites, cos they are you.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was born in Coventry, but all my ancestors - mother, grandmother etc, are Irish, born in Cork City. Although I absolutely adore St Paddy's day, I am in full favour of celebrating St George. He is England's Patron Saint. Most Christian country's in the world celebrate their Patron Saint's feast day with a national holiday. Yes, it's close to Easter, but there should be a way to enjoy it. (As an aside, it would have been my 44th wedding anniversary today as well. 2nd missus, that is! If it had been my first dragon, it would be 50 years in December!)

Last edited:

skybluetony176

He’s so woke these days is the Tonester - gone are the UKIP worshipping, the “I vote Tory” and the monkey boy insults. He’s gone the full Bercow - extreme right wing fool to a dribbling populist moron is
Populist? Hardly. Given the referendum result, the last GE and the current opinion polls you’re the epitome of a dribbling populist.

wingy

I was born in Coventry, but all my ancestors - mother, grandmother etc, are Irish, born in Cork City. Although I absolutely adore St Paddy's day, I am in full favour of celebrating St George. He is England's Patron Saint. Most Christian country's in the world celebrate their Patron Saint's feast day with a national holiday. Yes, it's close to Easter, but their should be a way to enjoy it. (As an aside, it would have been my 44th wedding anniversary today as well. 2nd missus, that is! If it had been my first dragon, it would be 50 years in December!)
Yeah,you on number three?
Correct?😊

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

No evidence for that though is there? It’s just an excuse why despite being in power for a decade and apparently really wanting it, it hasn’t been done.

The only party to try and celebrate St George’s has ever been Labour, you may not like that, and it may be for naked political reasons, but you gotta ask why we don’t do more as a country that has more Conservative governments than not. Its an easy win and removed a popular policy from the opposition.

At some point you guys on the right are going to have to come to terms with the fact that you’re in power and you can’t claim everything’s being stopped by the elites, cos they are you.

My point isn't about Tory versus Labour. It is about the fact that each time our 'national' day comes round, it descends into a shame fest. We must be one of the only countries in the world where that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread