Happier times (1 Viewer)

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Completely agree, I was convinced we were gonna win the cup that year. We should of battered sheff Utd at home and if I remember correctly oggy nearly cost is the game towards the end of the second half

I still hate Sheffield Utd to this day
Blade wankers
We blew the tie at home and played rubbish. Saying that the away leg we were comfortable until disastrous injury time equaliser. Seem to remember Moldavan missed a sitter in extra time.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

A bit harsh on Crewe as fans are they are harmless. I was at that game freezing having just flown in from Melbourne on previous Saturday.
Literally arrived at Manchester airport at 1300 and went straight to pub near Bury ground close to our house and won game easily.

Yes Crewe were shell shocked with late that burst of goals just like the Coventry fans! Really could have be 0-3.
I was so gutted because after the Preston game and beating Sheff Utd I was convinced I was going to Wembley, that 3-0 at the Ricoh was rediculous. We hit the post and bar multiple times and their goalie played a blinder.

Crewe away was frustrating because we didn’t attack until the 80th minute and still should have drew the game (refer to my McSheffrey point)

Sky_Blue_Daz

We blew the tie at home and played rubbish. Saying that the away leg we were comfortable until disastrous injury time equaliser. Seem to remember Moldavan missed a sitter in extra time.
I think Whelan missed a sitter in the first match too, a header that shaved the post

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I was so gutted because after the Preston game and beating Sheff Utd I was convinced I was going to Wembley, that 3-0 at the Ricoh was rediculous. We hit the post and bar multiple times and their goalie played a blinder.

Crewe away was frustrating because we didn’t attack until the 80th minute and still should have drew the game (refer to my McSheffrey point)

Yes the 0-3 at Ricoh was ridiculous. Somehow I watched this from Melbourne. All over them but gave goals away through appalling goalkeeping.

junglej13

The footage doesnt do justice to the save Bosnich makes from Soltvedt's deflected shot in the first half with his foot. The whole Holte End stood up to applaud it then chanted his name. For years I'd have said it was best save I ever saw live.

Also a slight footnote from this game was that Whelan, who had been incredible in that run of games was suspended. I'm sure some people said he was in the away end with the fans.

oscillatewildly

great footage, slightly spoiled by the sight at the end of a foil covered cardboard FA cup.
Would have them above knives and pyro on the list of objects that shouldn't be permitted to be brought into the ground.
Objection! I think they provide a great source of amusement - I've witnessed 'FA cups' that bear more a resemblance to the Stanley cup, golfs claret jug and if I'm not mistaken, a 15th century Ming vase.

clint van damme

My uncle is convinced we’d have beaten Arsenal and Newcastle.

I remember that event at the Ricoh a few years back, and Huckerby said the players were perplexed at strachan’s decision to play Dion at Centre back and Moldovan up front

I'm convinced we'd have beaten Newcastle and lost to Arsenal. That gunners side were outstanding.

skybluetony176

Man Huckerby was an exciting player to watch. If only he’d have been able to work out the offside rule, he’d have been an England regular.

Esoterica

Great cup tie and amazing result but surprised no-one has mentioned how poor the football was. A lot of aimless hoof in that video. We've played better stuff this season.

robbiekeane

Great cup tie and amazing result but surprised no-one has mentioned how poor the football was. A lot of aimless hoof in that video. We've played better stuff this season.
I thought that when I watched it mate. Absolute hoof ball. Every pass is a Michael Doyle pass

CJ_covblaze

Sheffield United and Crewe for me... still remember hating McSheffrey for that shit last second free kick in the second leg when their defence was panicking.

Convinced to this day if he just lumped it into the box we’d have scored a third

Why didn't Murphy take it? He even ran towards it but got beaten to it.

CJ_covblaze

Yes the 0-3 at Ricoh was ridiculous. Somehow I watched this from Melbourne. All over them but gave goals away through appalling goalkeeping.

Although Dunn didn't cover himself in glory I doubt Murphy would've saved 2 of those 3. The defending was catastrophic.

DannyThomas_1981

I think Whelan missed a sitter in the first match too, a header that shaved the post

From what I remember of the Sheffield United FA cup game at home - I think Gavin Strachan played in midfield? I don't recall our performance being so bad; we dominated and created lots of chances. What I do remember clearly is Alan Kelly having one of the best goalkeeping displays I have ever seen at HR - and I went to my first game around 1978. I guess it just wasn't to be. Like lots of others I was devastated by the away game and being knocked out. The manner of that defeat really hurt.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Why didn't Murphy take it? He even ran towards it but got beaten to it.
I was in line with McSheffrey and on the third row. I was screaming at him to get in the box and let Murphy take it.

What was the worst that could happen - Crewe broke away and scored with the last kick?

Their defence and fans were panicking we would have scored

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

From what I remember of the Sheffield United FA cup game at home - I think Gavin Strachan played in midfield? I don't recall our performance being so bad; we dominated and created lots of chances. What I do remember clearly is Alan Kelly having one of the best goalkeeping displays I have ever seen at HR - and I went to my first game around 1978. I guess it just wasn't to be. Like lots of others I was devastated by the away game and being knocked out. The manner of that defeat really hurt.
Weren’t he back up for them? I seem to remember being chuffed that Simon Tracey was injured

Irish Sky Blue

Possibly, Dublin left 6 months later. The Charlton home defeat in the 5th round in 2000 also. We lost at home from a 2 nil leading position.
Yes, I would say that that was the point that things started to slip away. Losing MacAlister and Keene the following close season were the final nails in the coffin.

ccfctommy

Completely agree, I was convinced we were gonna win the cup that year. We should of battered sheff Utd at home and if I remember correctly oggy nearly cost is the game towards the end of the second half

I still hate Sheffield Utd to this day
Blade wankers

Yep. Oggy made a cock up and their striker missed an open goal.

clint van damme

Same as that. I'm struggling to think of a defeat that hurt more.
Don't think anyone spoke in the car for the entire journey home.

oscillatewildly

I'm convinced we'd have beaten Newcastle and lost to Arsenal. That gunners side were outstanding.
Yes, Clint - I second that view and have expressed it over the last couple of decades. Newcastle, even with Shearer were beatable but I couldn't see us beating Arsenal in the final had we made it.
I missed both those Shef U games - Gave my Dad my ticket when I got ill and saw the replay on the East stand concourse. The mood was fantastic. Up until the 89th minute/extra time/penalties.
I remember a couple of blokes getting chased out at the end and getting badly filled in at the bottom of Swan lane. I think they may have been Shef U supporters working down here or just a couple of wind up merchants.

oscillatewildly

That bit about the two fellas getting a leathering has cheered me up!
I swear I had absolutely nothing to do with it! I just remember a bit of a commotion ahead of us near the exit - thought nothing of it, just devastated over what we'd all just witnessed on the screen. Wasn't until I got to the bottom of Swan lane and saw a couple of blokes hobbling away whilst getting verbals off other City fans that I put two and two together.
Have to admit it did raise a little smile with me too! Didn't last long though - pissed off for at least two weeks.

Adge

Although Dunn didn't cover himself in glory I doubt Murphy would've saved 2 of those 3. The defending was catastrophic.
Well if that was the case it would have been 2-2 on Agg after both legs! Kicks from the penalty mark it is then....

Adge

Yes, I would say that that was the point that things started to slip away. Losing MacAlister and Keene the following close season were the final nails in the coffin.
Indeed. Combine that with the signing of the abysmal Bellamy and was curtains.

Users who are viewing this thread