Hamer (6 Viewers)

Samo

Who in your opinion should city try to sign to replace Hamer that has the same ability and not cost more than 15million for arguments sake?

Someone we've never heard of I should think.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Who in your opinion should city try to sign to replace Hamer that has the same ability and not cost more than 15million for arguments sake?

If you want someone as good or better than Hamer your going to have to send more than 15m.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

That's an odd assertion considering we picked the actual Hamer up for 1m

We could argue Hamer is a better player now than when we signed him.

rob9872

That's an odd assertion considering we picked the actual Hamer up for 1m
We're not in that market though now and need an improvement. The £m we paid for Gus, not only has the market shifted but also the Hamer now is a far more accomplished player than the raw talent, we signed a few years back.

rob9872

Well I'd take another as good as he was when we signed him every day of the week
But at that end for every Hamer is a Kastaneer, Jobello or Hillsner.

Sick Boy

Just watched the MK Dons highlights, Is it just me, or is Hamer messing with my head. He looks so happy, playing little jokes, smiling all the time. I know that's his nature, but if you were leaving would you still be the same
You might be reading into things just a little bit.

SeaSeeEffCee

Weird how GIMOC came on here to brag about Latibeaudiere but hasn’t said anything about the contract that Hamer supposedly signed a month ago…

Bennettbarnet

But at that end for every Hamer is a Kastaneer, Jobello or Hillsner.
It's getting boring this comparison being trotted out everytime the club might be in for an unknown. If Hamer is worth £15m, then there's 15 chances at a million a pop that one will come good.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

rob9872

I can't believe so many quoting my same post out of context. It was as a response to the we cant automatically sign a Hamer just because we did before and certainly not at the level he is now. When we signed him for £1m he clearly wasnt the £15m player he is now. Some players look excellent elsewhere but for whatever reason dont work out and I was simply pointing out some instances where we hoped all would be 'Hamers' but unfortunately it isnt always the case.

mark82

I can't believe so many quoting my same post out of context. It was as a response to the we cant automatically sign a Hamer just because we did before and certainly not at the level he is now. When we signed him for £1m he clearly wasnt the £15m player he is now. Some players look excellent elsewhere but for whatever reason dont work out and I was simply pointing out some instances where we hoped all would be 'Hamers' but unfortunately it isnt always the case.
Yep, but if he does move on we certainly won't be spending huge money. We'll have to take someone to develop. I'll be gutted if he goes.

rob9872

Yep, but if he does move on we certainly won't be spending huge money. We'll have to take someone to develop. I'll be gutted if he goes.
Totally agree. We'll be backwards for a period in terms of quality as they hopefully develop, but in the meantime people will still be expecting play-offs. The likelyhood is that evern if we get 2 or 3 replacements using half the money we sell him for, that without him we dont make the top 6. I hope I'm wrong, I hope he stays and no guarantee of top six if he does, but I think he offers our best chance and so vital to how we play.

SeaSeeEffCee

To be fair, he got constant pelters.
He got constant pelters because he’d uncritically post any unsubstantiated rumour he heard (Hamer signed a new deal to be announced with the kit, Boddy working his notice, Jerry Yates and Jacob Murphy at Ryton with Simms), insisted it was true and then got arsey when people didn’t believe it.

mark82

He got constant pelters because he’d uncritically post any unsubstantiated rumour he heard (Hamer signed a new deal to be announced with the kit, Boddy working his notice, Jerry Yates and Jacob Murphy at Ryton with Simms), insisted it was true and then got arsey when people didn’t believe it.
Not all of those are wrong to be fair. The Yates and Murphy one was quite funny though. Clearly mistaken identity (and the guy did look a bit like Murphy).

Calista

I would break the pay structure just to keep Gus , not very often you get a player of this quality. I’ve been watch the City for 50 odd years and for me he is the best .
Better than every player we had in the top flight? Really?
I'm sure I don't have to list them.

Alkhen

Not all of those are wrong to be fair. The Yates and Murphy one was quite funny though. Clearly mistaken identity (and the guy did look a bit like Murphy).

It's that Murphy one that makes me think he just knows someone who works at Ryton, nobody particularly in the know or high up just someone about the place.

Covcraig@bury

Better than every player we had in the top flight? Really?
I'm sure I don't have to list them.
In that position I would say yes by a long mile . What he does on the pitch with regards to ground covered and his vision passing ability, assists plus goals I would say without doubt.
so from your reply you think not 🤔 who in your mind has been better ?

shmmeee

I just think there’s a category difference between a cheap gamble like Hilsner or Kasta and a signing like Hamer or Vik.

shmmeee

In that position I would say yes by a long mile . What he does on the pitch with regards to ground covered and his vision passing ability, assists plus goals I would say without doubt.

Only player close would be McAllister when he was actually good for us.

Calista

You’ve moved the goalposts a bit, but in terms of midfield from the Div 1 / Prem years is Hamer better "by a long mile" than Ian Gibson, Dennis Mortimer, Willie Carr, Gerry Daly, Andy Blair, Barry Powell, Terry Yorath, Youssef Chippo, Garry McAllister?

And of course in other positions there are numerous players who you’d have to say were superior to Hamer.

Gus was fantastic in the second half of last season, and on his day a match for some of the above, but hasn't yet done anything at the top level so I just responded to the claim that he's the best player we’ve had in over 50 years.

Skybluecol

I would break the pay structure just to keep Gus , not very often you get a player of this quality. I’ve been watch the City for 50 odd years and for me he is the best .
😂😂😂😂😂😂
Not a chance is he the best player of 50 odd years unless you've missed lots and lots and lots and lots of games for many many years!!!!
I could name a full midfield that would be better than Gus since 1973.
Saying that....he's the best we've had for a very long time....and imo one of the best in his position in the Championship (factoring the teams that have dropped from the Prem for this season).

Brylowes

What I would say is we recognise him last year as the best midfielder in the league. Fek the pay structure and offer him what he's worth. If others don't like it then they're naive at best as their best chance of success is if he stays.
If I understand the details of the pay-structure correctly, it’s a fairly recent structure put in place by the new owner Doug King, if that is the case the problem in breaking the structure to accommodate Hamer’s financial needs isn’t the risk of upsetting other players.
The main problem is how it reflects on Doug King himself, he puts in place a strict pay-structure only to scrap it when the first player comes along and calls it into question, it shows him as weak, indecisive and frankly a bit of a walkover.
Its a pity he didn’t tie Hamer down to a new deal before introducing the pay-structure.

Users who are viewing this thread