Hamer (14 Viewers)

clint van damme

Its not but it seems some of our fans are emotionally scarred from the SISU years and scared to actually want to be better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've read some bollocks on here but that's right up there

clint van damme

Have to agree with this take, although I see both sides of the argument. If Doug is expecting Play Offs in 3 of the next 5 years then to expect that on a bottom 3 wage structure would be delusional. MR has worked absolute wonders with this club, but eventually the branch will break if not properly supported.
If DK is genuine in his claims, then paying for Hamer should be top of his priorities.

If he pays for him out of his own pocket or without overstretching the club financially then crack on.

NorthernWisdom

I don't think that's the point really. You cannot take 32 goals and 21 assists out of a side in one summer, it would be disastrous. Parallel with the summer of 2000 where we lost Keane and McAllister.
I actually think people are too blase about us losing Gyokeres. Losing him would be a massive, massive issue in terms of filling what he's given us, so consistently, the past two seasons. It's also arguable that teams doubling, trebling up on Gyokeres has given Hamer the space to excel. If we lose Goyokeres and they switch their attention to Hamer, will he do as well? tbf if he did, then he would truly be exceptional but it's asking a lot, and would probably be unreasonable.

I'd have hopes that we could strengthen the team overall though - might need a season of bedding in so I'd fully expect to see growing pains, but then it's asking an awful lot for both Gyokeres and Hamer to do so well for us and play so many games next season if they were still here next season I couldn't see us getting near the playoffs next season if they stayed either, as this season really is, rationally, a one-off with the team we have.

And back in't day once we signed Hartson in that season we were... alright, but it was too late. Watching us launch long kicks up to Bellamy was laughable really, and Strachan showed himself totally unadaptable. Robins might not change much during games, but with Viveash he's shown himself flexible in changing the way the team plays to fit with the players we have. Not saying it's easy, but frankly I find the thought of missing Gyokeres's punch and dynamism far worse and far more of a challenge. We're going to have to change system and style really, because we just won't find the same.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

We can’t and shouldn’t try to compete with clubs that have got more cash (or willing to risk going bust). If someone would rather go to one of those then fair enough. West Brom are apparently in the shit financially though. I’d probably only say Boro is possibly a more attractive option from watching last season (maybe I’m a bit biased though). If a player wants to accept more in wages now that’s their call, some will look at other aspects/bigger picture though….location, style/culture of club, can manager improve them, formation/how they might fit in etc
The higher we go the player quality pool becomes smaller and you’re competing against these teams for the same players

Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Blackburn are more attractive options as would millwall (the London aspects) they’re also going to pay more

if the ambition is the same at all these clubs - the next metric is wages.

clint van damme

Losing Gyokeres and Hamer would be like losing Keane and McAllister and that went well... oh wait...

Newcastle lost Carroll and Nolan and did ok the following season.
Losing your goals isn't ideal but it's ot a guaranteed disaster.
And we're losing Gyokeres anyway, thats a given and thats where the lions share of our goals and assists have come from.

Grendel

He doesn't strike me as that sort of owner and to be fair to him hasn't at any point insinuated that he will.

You do wonder why he’s doing it - even Sisu spent £26 million in the early stages

clint van damme

The higher we go the player quality pool becomes smaller and you’re competing against these teams for the same players

Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Blackburn are more attractive options as would millwall (the London aspects) they’re also going to pay more

if the ambition is the same at all these clubs - the next metric is wages.

Blackburn more attractive?!

CCFCSteve

I actually think people are too blase about us losing Gyokeres. Losing him would be a massive, massive issue in terms of filling what he's given us, so consistently, the past two seasons. It's also arguable that teams doubling, trebling up on Gyokeres has given Hamer the space to excel. If we lose Goyokeres and they switch their attention to Hamer, will he do as well? tbf if he did, then he would truly be exceptional but it's asking a lot, and would probably be unreasonable.

I'd have hopes that we could strengthen the team overall though - might need a season of bedding in so I'd fully expect to see growing pains, but then it's asking an awful lot for both Gyokeres and Hamer to do so well for us and play so many games next season if they were still here next season I couldn't see us getting near the playoffs next season if they stayed either, as this season really is, rationally, a one-off with the team we have.

And back in't day once we signed Hartson in that season we were... alright, but it was too late. Watching us launch long kicks up to Bellamy was laughable really, and Strachan showed himself totally unadaptable. Robins might not change much during games, but with Viveash he's shown himself flexible in changing the way the team plays to fit with the players we have. Not saying it's easy, but frankly I find the thought of missing Gyokeres's punch and dynamism far worse and far more of a challenge. We're going to have to change system and style really, because we just won't find the same.

Im not sure anyone’s blasé about losing Vik. It’s more the fact that there is no way we can keep him. As a 20+ goal striker, not to mention assists he can command a massive wage elsewhere and has suggested he would want to go if we didn’t get promoted (understandably)

People are focussed on Hamer as they feel he’s got a bit more loyalty to the club and have latched onto the rumour he would stay if we pay him 20k per week. We all know this could be BS and/or if a decent Prem club comes in offering 30k+ for him its irrelevant anyway but we can but dream

NorthernWisdom

Im not sure anyone’s blasé about losing Vik. It’s more the fact that there is no way we can keep him. As a 20+ goal striker, not to mention assists he can command a massive wage elsewhere and has suggested he would want to go if we didn’t get promoted (understandably)

People are focussed on Hamer as they feel he’s got a bit more loyalty to the club and have latched onto the rumour he would stay if we pay him 20k per week. We all know this could be BS and/or if a decent Prem club comes in offering 30k+ for him its irrelevant anyway but we can but dream
We're plucking figures about what is a viable pay him what he wants out the air though!

clint van damme

Historically a more successful club aswell - yes they’ve had a few bad years, but they own Ewood park for a start.

we might be off on our travels in 5 years time

even if you take Blackburn out the other mentioned clubs are far more attractive

We might be, but I can't see any professional footballer signing this season concerning themselves with that.

Evo1883

More money and the lure of living in London is far more attractive then shacking up in Bedworth and having a go in the craven street run
Coventry are more attractive than millwall , and blackburn won their trophies 99% before we invented the wheel .. they were a flash in the pan under walker and have shit support , wanky little club

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Coventry are more attractive than millwall , and blackburn won their trophies 99% before we invented the wheel .. they were a flash in the pan under walker and have shit support , wanky little club
In what way? Blackburn have been in the premier league more recently than us, they’ll be offering higher wages than us - they won the league cup in 2002.

they’ve spent 1 season out of the top 2 leagues in the same time we’ve played in all 4 divisions.

most players now are used to us being a league one club. If we’re competing against these clubs we’ll at least have to match the wages they’re offering

SBT

We literally just got to the playoff final without spending stupid money on individual wages.

Now people are crying saying we will never be able to compete in this league without doing this

Batshit crazy, good night
While it would be nice to pretend otherwise, our performance last season is no more a model of success in the Championship than Leicester’s was in the 2016 Premier League.

Deity

I agree with much of this @NorthernWisdom. I don’t think we are blasé but rather realistic. It’s the way football works and particularly at our point in the pyramid. We need to secure as much money as possible and invest it as wisely as possible. A combination of exciting players with profit potential and players that will “ do a job”…. We all want to see young players with potential brought in, but as Southampton found out, if you get that balance wrong you are soon in trouble.

mmttww

I don't think anyone's thinking that way re: Vik - it's more that with the rumours and stories about him, there's an acceptance he's gone, whereas we might have a chance of keeping Hamer. Also think it's worth reflecting on the fact that we don't need to replace Vik's skillset; he's being coveted so much because his skill set is fairly unique. We need to find two goalscorers to add to Godden; their skill sets don't need to match Vik. We've got the midfield and the coaching know how to adapt to the strengths of who we find.

Matt smith

G
This is hilarious. We literally just got to a playoff final without paying more than £15k a week probably.

Now all of a sudden anyone who wants to take a breath before announcing that we need to pay Hamer whatever he wants otherwise we’ll never get anywhere and DK has no ambition, is “scared to actually want to be better”

fuck off
Got to the championship final because of Gustavo hamer

not the sole reason, but a big part of it

so that argument falls on deaf ears

Grendel

G

Got to the championship final because of Gustavo hamer

not the sole reason, but a big part of it

so that argument falls on deaf ears

We got to the league two play off final due to Biamou - oddly there were 46 games before that

Users who are viewing this thread