Had a good nights sleep ? (1 Viewer)

Old Warwickshire lad

I remember being on here before the season started. Reading the VAST majority of posts saying that staying in this league would be a great achievement this season.
We were all geared up for lots of defeats against the “ better “ sides, and to compete against what we considered the weaker sides.
We even had a good laugh about how Facebook would be in meltdown by now.
Didn’t last long did it. We were well beaten yesterday, we came into it a bit at the end because they took their foot off the gas. They were bigger,stronger and faster,just like Bournemouth were.
We are 5 games in to what will be a long season. 5 kin games,let’s calm down.
We WILL get better and more streetwise.Some have got Robins sacked already ffs.
Lets start to worry if we are bottom at Christmas, and we can sh** ourselves if we are still there at Easter.

mark82

Our fixture list to start the season is brutal. If you look at them we have tough fixtures right up to December 5th at which point it lets up a bit. To be honest, I'm not sure we could've had a more difficult start.

That said, the last 2 games we really haven't played well. We do need to step it up a bit. We looked scared, and if we play like that we will lose.

PVA

Agreed. Some people got way too giddy after the QPR win, and those same people are in meltdown now.

pastythegreat

I fully expected to lose to Brizzle, Bournmouth and Brentford. However, if we're to stay in this league, we should really be picking up maximum points against the poorer teams around us, it was 2 points dropped v a poor Barnsley.
What I think Robins needs to address quickly, is the confidence of the players. Weve looked beaten in the last 2 games before weve even kicked a ball. Weve gone from being easily the best passing side in L1, to a team that look like they've never met each other before. We seem to have forgotten the basics.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

PVA

Weve gone from being easily the best passing side in L1, to a team that look like they've never met each other before. We seem to have forgotten the basics.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

We haven't forgotten the basics. If we played a league 1 team tomorrow we'd pass them off the park.

We've gone from being the best team in the league to being one of the worst teams in the league. This is not a negative, or a slight on Robins and the team, its just a fact.

Greggs

We haven't forgotten the basics. If we played a league 1 team tomorrow we'd pass them off the park.

We've gone from being the best team in the league to being one of the worst teams in the league. This is not a negative, or a slight on Robins and the team, its just a fact.
Should we have recruited better? Men vs Boys for 40 odd games ain't gonna be fun

steve cooper

Last season we had Dabo, McCallum, Kelly, and Walsh in the team, who weren't in yesterday's starting line up. (McCallum coming on late out of position) That's almost half of the outfield team. Add to that the unavailability of new signings Hamer and Walker and a couple of others.
Yesterday's team was cobbled together due to various reasons outside of MR's control.
We were never realistically going to get anything away, against arguably one of the top 4 teams in this division.

larry_david

We should have beaten Bristol. And since then the confidence has slowly drained. We need to remember who we are, what we do and what we did. If godden had scored that volley instead of the bar who knows. He was unlucky with his header too.

fatso

A 2-0 defeat was better than we could of expected given the team we had to cobble together.

Pask is not a right back at this level, Rose is nowhere near match fit, Sheaf is still finding his feet, Allen often goes missing for up to 90 minutes during games. And Baka is league 2 level at best, (and that’s being kind)

On top of that we are getting run ragged by fitter, stronger teams who are used to this level and tend not to give the ball away with every third pass.

I’m confident that we will adapt, given time, but it’s going to be a tough season. I’m sure we will survive, but for me, survival will be a major result in our first season back.

SlowerThanPlatt

A 2-0 defeat was better than we could of expected given the team we had to cobble together.

Pask is not a right back at this level, Rose is nowhere near match fit, Sheaf is still finding his feet, Allen often goes missing for up to 90 minutes during games. And Baka is league 2 level at best, (and that’s being kind)

On top of that we are getting run ragged by fitter, stronger teams who are used to this level and tend not to give the ball away with every third pass.

I’m confident that we will adapt, given time, but it’s going to be a tough season. I’m sure we will survive, but for me, survival will be a major result in our first season back.

Bakayoko could be a squad player at this level but Robins is insistent on using him as a target man

Grendel

He's started him once - and he only played yesterday because Walker tested positive. That makes him a squad player, doesn't it?

I think it’s more the position he played him in. It seems an odd contract extension. It’s obvious Robins doesn’t see Biamou as capable at this level so he could have moved both on and found a alternative number 9 from somewhere

shmmeee

I think it’s more the position he played him in. It seems an odd contract extension. It’s obvious Robins doesn’t see Biamou as capable at this level so he could have moved both on and found a alternative number 9 from somewhere

Two turkeys does not an eagle make...

Skybluefaz

Just don't think he'd have the budget still. Even if he'd moved both out it wouldn't give you enough to sign someone like Jack Marriott who went to Wednesday and is on a reported 18 - 19k a week.

Think we've just got to try and tough it out with what we have. That may not be be enough.

shmmeee

I mean ability wise long term, from what Robins has said he wants him to boss defenders and be an aerial threat but that’s not his game

Exactly. He’s probably out paciest forward and we never use it. If we’re going to be forced long and have no Dublin-esque forward to be a totem to hit it long to we need to be aiming over the top to force teams back and give us room to play.

JulianDarbyFTW

After a good night's sleep, my take is that we haven't been embarrassed (scoreline wise) yet despite playing 3 teams in the top half of the table, 2 of whom will are likely to be at the summit come the end of the season. These games are the learning period, and I can only see us growing as time goes on. The challenge as I see it is, if we get through the next few tough games and are in the bottom 3, will we have enough mental strength to pull our way back out of it? We only had one losing streak last season (Rotherham then Tranmere was it?) so the players haven't had their mettle tested in this way for a long, long time.

Sky Blue Harry H

I mean ability wise long term, from what Robins has said he wants him to boss defenders and be an aerial threat but that’s not his game

He is big enough to boss defenders. He looks like he has beefed up. For me the one thing we can use him for (if Walker can't do it) is to stretch defences by running behind them, That should be able to drag us up the pitch - the one failing in Godden's game, as he will rarely outpace defenders (despite his other attributes).

Sky Blue Harry H

Unfortunately G, despite the other 'benefits' we may have gained from Cov-id comparative to other clubs in the division, the one downside has been the inability to shift players from the squad very easily. Despite the reservations about the quality of some of the players at this level, we are likely to need them in terms of numbers as and when injuries/Cov-id/suspensions hit. As I've said in another post, Baka's biggest strength imo is the ability to stretch the opposition's defence with his pace and then drag the rest of the team up the pitch. He does need to up his game though, as we can't afford to carry many passengers on match day without it costing us.

Grendel

Unfortunately G, despite the other 'benefits' we may have gained from Cov-id comparative to other clubs in the division, the one downside has been the inability to shift players from the squad very easily. Despite the reservations about the quality of some of the players at this level, we are likely to need them in terms of numbers as and when injuries/Cov-id/suspensions hit. As I've said in another post, Baka's biggest strength imo is the ability to stretch the opposition's defence with his pace and then drag the rest of the team up the pitch. He does need to up his game though, as we can't afford to carry many passengers on match day without it costing us.

Bakayoko could have been forced out though and Biamou could surely have found a league 2 club if someone has whispered in his ear

clint van damme

We couldn’t afford a Championship equivalent of Godden or Kelly

Exactly. The Danish lad who was missing yesterday who they all rave about signed for an undisclosed fee but it looks as though it was around 3 mill.
Ivan Toney, again, undisclosed but thought to be at least mil. We just can't compete with that at the moment.

Just about to watch the Preston game, they're struggling but they have players like Nugent and Sinclair, their wages would dwarf anything we're paying I'm sure.

Grendel

Exactly. The Danish lad who was missing yesterday who they all rave about signed for an undisclosed fee but it looks as though it was around 3 mill.
Ivan Toney, again, undisclosed but thought to be at least mil. We just can't compete with that at the moment.

Just about to watch the Preston game, they're struggling but they have players like Nugent and Sinclair, their wages would dwarf anything we're paying I'm sure.

If Toney really was only a million we paid the same for Walker and more for Hamer didn’t we?

clint van damme

If Toney really was only a million we paid the same for Walker and more for Hamer didn’t we?

sorry, typo, should have been 5 mil, but as I said undisclosed so that's speculation though I'd imagine it's not too far away.

Frostie

Preston's business model is insane. They spunk huge wages on the likes of Nugent who is well past it & can't even get a game yet they don't even have an U23 team because it's "too expensive".
Their top prospect (Thyrys Dolan) walked away for free in the summer & is now a star at their rivals Blackburn.

Users who are viewing this thread