Gyokeres (9 Viewers)

AFCCOVENTRY

Does make sense. They’ve lost Toney, they need a new striker to lead the line and Thomas Frank being a Scandinavian manager might be a good fit for Vik.

Mucca Mad Boys

If true that’s just blown Sporting Lisbon out of the water.
Which was always going to happen if any Prem teams genuinely want him.

Sporting Lisbon are team with modest resources. They wouldn’t be in the conversation for a young and top performing Championship striker on a longer contract.

I’d be rather shocked if he ended up in Lisbon. Either we’ve sold up cheaply or it’s going to take a record bid from Sporting.

Mucca Mad Boys

Does make sense. They’ve lost Toney, they need a new striker to lead the line and Thomas Frank being a Scandinavian manager might be a good fit for Vik.
West Ham, Palace or Brentford would be the best Prem destinations for him in my view.

A strong £25m is a great start if it’s true.

CCFCSteve

Which was always going to happen if any Prem teams genuinely want him.

Sporting Lisbon are team with modest resources. They wouldn’t be in the conversation for a young and top performing Championship striker on a longer contract.

I’d be rather shocked if he ended up in Lisbon. Either we’ve sold up cheaply or it’s going to take a record bid from Sporting.

They’ve just sold a player to PSG for 50 so can hardly plead poverty. Hopefully another decent bid will drive price up. Even if his hearts set on Sporting maybe they could get to £20m+ plus huge sell on (30%+). I think Brentford would be a nice option for Vik though

Last edited:

Briles

I think we will get 17 plus add ons

Sick Boy

I wish people would stop bumping this thread to the top of the forum every five minutes. Every time I see that happen, I think "So he's gone then".

This may be the first transfer we've been involved in over £6m (Keane was £5.5m?) but the replies are either we've all won the lottery or we've lost our closest, dearest pet goldfish for the 15th time this summer (I wouldn't mind but each time I flush him down the loo, he reappears in the fish bowl on my dresser ??!! :unsure:).

My nerves are shot and we're not even into preseason yet :eek:
We sold Keane for around £13m.

South West Sky Blue

I think we sold bellend for the same money we bought him for - thank feck for that
I've got a memory of us releasing that we'd actually made a profit on Bellamy. Our initial outlay was under £5.5m, and with add ons it would go upto £6.5m. Because we sold him in the first year, we only hit one add on. Therefore we paid around £5.8m and sold him for £6m to Newcastle.
This is all based on a (slightly autistic) memory from 20 years ago. Thinking about it now, I doubt we'd ever get into official details, but I think I remember the club keen to point out we'd certainly not lost money on him.

He also gave a media interview very soon after leaving us to say that he genuinely thought Hull were a bigger club than us. Some comments on GMK were understandably sour!

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

My mate who actually supports Sporting asked me who Vik is similar to and I couldnt come up with anything, who would you say he is similar to as I think he’s very unique
It's not perfect but Richarlison is sometimes the comparison I make. I went in the away end at Goodison a season or two ago with a mate, and I didn't really have much of a view on him before going despite seeing a lot of him on TV etc. Was only when I was there that I realised how strong and powerful he is and how he can carry (at Watford and Everton anyway) the team up the pitch on his own like Vik does.

NorthernWisdom

Mucca Mad Boys

They’ve just sold a player to PSG for 50 so can hardly plead poverty. Hopefully another decent bid will drive price up. Even if his hearts set on Sporting maybe they could get to £20m+ plus huge sell on (30%+). I think Brentford would be a nice option for Vik though

Lisbon are a club who needs to routinely sell talent and their all time transfer record fee is €16m.

They’re not impoverished, but cannot compete with Premier league teams for money.

steve cooper

We have no idea what might be going on in the background, Sweden's round of Euro qualifying games finish on Tuesday I believe, so maybe something will happen next week

bigfatronssba

I honestly can’t remember that well when Bellamy was with us, I was relatively young. why does everyone hate him that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was lazy, slagged the club off, and looked like he didn’t care when we were going down.

Also he was a direct replacement for Keane, who was the complete opposite of all those things

Sick Boy

He was lazy, slagged the club off, and looked like he didn’t care when we were going down.

Also he was a direct replacement for Keane, who was the complete opposite of all those things
He was also 19 and recovering from a serious injury - the setup at the club at the time probably wasn't great either.

Happy_Martian

Agree about the Toney replacing though when he comes back in November (??!!), that may push Vik out.

But your second point, Thomas Frank is Danish. There are no common factors that I can see. Both being Scandanavian (though both have different football styles) is as inconsequential as France and Germany (or Italy) being European. Unfortunately, they can't even use native languages as a common denominator.

However Brentford do seem to be prepared to splash the cash. Heard that they were looking at Brennan Johnson from Forest for £30m this week :unsure:

skyblueelephant76

Agree about the Toney replacing though when he comes back in November (??!!), that may push Vik out.

But your second point, Thomas Frank is Danish. There are no common factors that I can see. Both being Scandanavian (though both have different football styles) is as inconsequential as France and Germany (or Italy) being European. Unfortunately, they can't even use native languages as a common denominator.

However Brentford do seem to be prepared to splash the cash. Heard that they were looking at Brennan Johnson from Forest for £30m this week :unsure:
Toney is banned until the middle of January

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Only problem is the story only appears to exist on a Spanish Twitter page!

We've not really been in this position before, that I can remember. A player that is so sought after as Vik. In business terms, we have a product that is better than anything we've had before, and everyone wants it. We need to be patient and calm. The 17 million seems like a lot as we haven't had that much for a player, but in this circumstance it is on the lower end of the scale as to what we can expect.

They'll be more links and more bids in the coming days or even weeks (if it gets that far). Doug seems fairly astute so I hope he plays the game here. We could genuinely turn the fortunes of the club around with just one player if we are resolute and firm. I personally cannot see any situation where this drags out and he doesn't leave. We have all the cards. Tranquillo.

djr8369

Agree it’s hard to make comparisons. Defo not Kane though, who’s lethal in front of goal and probably the best passing CF around. Viks got far more pace, better running with the ball and more powerful than kane

As said above, Viks pretty unique really.
True but then a glacier has more pace than Kane.

AFCCOVENTRY

Latest from a Portuguese journalist

Gyokeres: Sporting is already close to 20 M € , but Coventry City is asking for around 22 M € . There is still no agreement, despite the Swedish striker wanting to head to Portugal. Lions only go after a winger and a midfielder when they close the main reinforcement for the attack

Users who are viewing this thread