Greta Thunberg / Climate Change Summit (2 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm completely on board with you. But it isn't me you have to convince.

It's those who think short term and what am I getting NOW. They literally can't think long term, so if they can't see this apocalyptic future happening right in front of their face right now it isn't happening at all. Unless cracks are appearing in the earth's crust and lava spewing out across the planet and the seas were boiling they will not believe catastrophe is on the way. It's all alarmist nonsense in their eyes because they can't see it.

They've seen too many disaster movies where things don't happen slowly and gradually over time - they happen immediately and devastatingly and nothing could have stopped or prevented them in their eyes. For some it will be a simple as "God's will".

It's no point saying "at least there will be an economy left for you to benefit from" to them because for them it's "we'll have one anyway if we don't, just a lot bigger one than if we do this hippie crap because this stuff isn't happening"

You have to put yourself in their shoes and think like they do. What matters to them? Money. So how do you get them to follow your course of action? Get them to believe there is money in your course of action. Railways were rejected for quite some time despite the benefits to the population and infrastructure on the whole using quite spurious reasons and outrageous claims like the human body wouldn't be able to cope with the velocity until someone said there was money to be made. Work started almost immediately after that.

"To beat the enemy you must become the enemy"

I find it the most interesting to hear about ‘establishment scientists’ and Thunberg being an eco shill when we know for a fact that fossil fuel companies pay mediocre scientists well to produce half arsed research that denies the problem. Yet it’s apparently virtually all the other scientists in the world in on a government conspiracy

Grendel

I find it the most interesting to hear about ‘establishment scientists’ and Thunberg being an eco shill when we know for a fact that fossil fuel companies pay mediocre scientists well to produce half arsed research that denies the problem. Yet it’s apparently virtually all the other scientists in the world in on a government conspiracy

But remember dear little Owen Jones says 16 year olds are incapable of forming adult opinions

Brighton Sky Blue

So generally you’d accept 16 year olds are capable of independent thought?

They come in different shapes and sizes. I work with some who most definitely are and others who aren't there yet. Don't get how this ties in to as yet unfounded claims that Thunberg is a shill compared to substantiated claims that the fossil fuel industry puts up crap scientists to argue their case

SeaSeeEffCee

Weird how people aren't this arsed about kids giving up their education for something they care about or their childhoods being 'ruined' when it's thousands of lads up and down the country trying to become pro footballers.

Grendel

Tell him yourself G maybe you'll get a signed book

I have told him. Mr Jones seemed to believe that only the right wing murder MPs Muslims Jews or well anyone really.

The majority of MPs killed last century were by a left wing republican army.

Me Jones of course forgot that and immediately condemned it. Sadly evidence then emerged Mr Jones was a passionate supporter of the army and considered the uk parliament and it’s people as an enemy state

It’s ok though as Mr Jones was only 15 (he was 16 but I guess his memory of his date of birth is fuzzy) and apparently children can’t be held accountable as they believe silly things

This is the same mr Jones that champions Greta Thunberg and believes 16 year olds must have the vote

He certainly is an embodiment of the left

Sick Boy

I have told him. Mr Jones seemed to believe that only the right wing murder MPs Muslims Jews or well anyone really.

Me Jones of course forgot that and immediately condemned it. Sadly evidence then emerged Mr Jones was a passionate supporter of the army and considered the uk parliament and it’s people as an enemy state

It’s ok though as Mr Jones was only 15 (he was 16 but I guess his memory of his date of birth is fuzzy) and apparently children can’t be held accountable as they believe silly things

This is the same mr Jones that champions Greta Thunberg and believes 16 year olds must have the vote

Yet you had no qualms about voting for a party happy to put a candidate forward who was also a fan of theirs?

Grendel

Yet you had no qualms about voting for a party happy to put a candidate forward who was also a fan of theirs?

Well I didn’t vote for said person, I remember my age and I’ve not made a statement of outright support for a Murderous left wing regime

Brighton Sky Blue

It's curious really because when one looks across the pond the overwhelming number of mass murders and terrorist plots are actually carried out by the far right and in this country it's that same part of the spectrum that poses the fastest growing terror threat. It's also unfortunate that the UVF carried out just as despicable acts as the IRA but you've never commented on the former.

I don't know why you go on about Jones, nobody here seems to be a massive fan of him. He makes good points on some issues and dubious ones on others. If we want to pick idiots and use them as representative of left or right it could be a fun game:

Richard Spencer
Donald Trump
Ben Netanyahu
Nigel Farage
Jacob Rees-Mogg
Alex Jones

But then again deep down we know that socially conservative policies aren't that hot with the public while uber free marketeering and deregulation has been shown to be a serious failure each time it's been properly implemented. The figures on the right are dumbasses granted but the ideology has failed the test of time

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Weird how people aren't this arsed about kids giving up their education for something they care about or their childhoods being 'ruined' when it's thousands of lads up and down the country trying to become pro footballers.
Yeah but Greta Thunberg isn’t potentially going to whip one in from 25 yards to win us promotion back to the premiership.

Priorities and all that

fellatio_Martinez

far right and in this country it's that same part of the spectrum that poses the fastest growing terror threat.

The fastest growing terror threat doesn't mean that the far right are blowing kids up at music concerts or beheading people in the street though does it?

The threat of Islamic terror attacks is massively higher. Please stop with this vague bullshit that just amounts to political point scoring.

clint van damme

The fastest growing terror threat doesn't mean that the far right are blowing kids up at music concerts or beheading people in the street though does it?

The threat of Islamic terror attacks is massively higher. Please stop with this vague bullshit that just amounts to political point scoring.

no it doesn't, but it does show that this far left and far right are as bad as each other rhetoric is absolute bollocks. The far right and the islamists are far more alike though as you rightly point out, they've got a bit of a way to go to catch them up.

Brighton Sky Blue

It isn’t vague bullshit when you look at what’s going on in the US.

shmmeee

fellatio Martinez - The entire anti-terror apparatus of the UK
giphy.gif

Grendel

Yes, of course. Many are for sure.

Why then do so many change their opinions towards the right when they get older?

Brighton Sky Blue

Why then do so many change their opinions towards the right when they get older?

Take your pick:

Becoming better off financially and more disconnected from issues affecting low earners or young people

Wanting to keep things as they were in the good old days

Pension bribes

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A lot of the 'far-right' killings in the US are religious nutcases killing people because they refuse to live by their beliefs and see those people as evil heathens. Doesn't that sound a bit familiar to the Islamic terror threat?

Grendel

So what about BSB's points? Going to argue with them rather than the clearly tongue-in-cheek response you have replied to?

His “points” are the ramblings of a school child - what does pension bribe even mean

People move to centrist politics when they grow up. Young people do by and large nit pay much tax, do not have to make big life changing decisions and can have a fun time doing a protest on a sunny day

Just look at the Squeeker and his far right ramblings from the past - doubt he wants to be reminded of them

Sick Boy

His “points” are the ramblings of a school child - what does pension bribe even mean

People move to centrist politics when they grow up. Young people do by and large nit pay much tax, do not have to make big life changing decisions and can have a fun time doing a protest on a sunny day

Just look at the Squeeker and his far right ramblings from the past - doubt he wants to be reminded of them

who is ‘the squeeker’?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He specifically mentioned becoming more well-off which is implicitly referencing tax.

It is well-known that people fear change as they get older as the unfamiliarity of the unknown frightens them. Also by then conservatism has also evolved to become more akin to their own thoughts because it is now run by people their own age. Do you think a lot of the stuff that was considered 'conservative' in the 50's would sit well with many people today - it was hugely racist, homophobic and steeped in Christian ideology. Show a Conservative voter from that period the policies of today and they'd wonder what all this loony Leftist nonsense was.

Pensions bribe is a bit more open-ended - most parties will offer something in terms of the pension so as not to upset the large proportion of older voters. But Tories are far more likely to bring in changes benefiting private pensions which will appeal to those who are nearing retirement (even though only students are swayed by stuff that directly benefits them apparently)

Squeeker - real maturity ;) (Oh and it's spelt 'squeak' btw')

Users who are viewing this thread