Government orders congestion charge on Coventry roads (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'm going to start looking for cheap, used number plates! ;)

Mcbean

Well seeing as our footie will be out of Coventry we need to boycott the city centre - the French would do that

Sick Boy

Here in Verona they banned diesels within the city for 6 months to alleviate pollution.

It’s also way ahead of the UK in terms of alternative fuel for cars, a lot are GPL or metano. Filled my metano car up earlier for €8 and it’ll do me 225km.

Philosorapter

The shape of Coventry's transport infrastructure is quite interesting.

Now, if I was playing Sim City, the obvious choice would be a opening a train/tram loop line around the City Centre to relieve the congestion on the main road arteries of the city.

The car parking fees at the proposed stations along with the Govt financial help to tackle congestion/ air pollution would go a long way to pay for this.

Imagine using the NUCKLE line as a way of relieving congestion/air pollution to the left of the city with the reopening of stations, namely Coundon Road, Lockhurst Lane and others.

Join the Very Light Rail to the NUCKLE Line around Lockhurst Lane, and shoot a right down the A444, to the right of the City Centre, again opening stations where and when needed, and finally join the line back up with itself near Coventry train station.

You've got the main transport infrastructure then to branch out to other places like Walsgrave Hospital and University of Warwick etc. Incorporate the NUCKLE Line into this, and that's Nuneaton, Bedworth, Kenilworth, Leamington and Coventry Arena sorted as well, whilst relieving a lot of the congestion/pollution in and around the City Centre.

I understand there was talk about a Very Light Rail line being open for the City of Culture year. And the train stations on the Nuckle Line could be opened well within the Govt's timetable to relieve congestion/air pollution.

Other areas have been given twelve months to solve their problems and the Clean Air Zone is the default fall back position provided to the Govt by CCC.

It can be changed.

I believe CCC/WMCA would need greater control on the future delivery of the NUCKLE Line to make a truly locally intergrated transport infrastructure.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

When they've done those public consultations on the city centre/transport etc I've said a few times that they should have an electric bus doing a loop inside the ring road. No buses inside the ring road other than that - they stop at Pool Meadow or the station (ideally I'd shut Pool Meadow and have the whole bus station integrated to the train station rather than just the interchange they're currently doing). The council have had their plan of city centre parking being focused on MSCP's next to the ringroad and I think this is also adding to the problem.

They also need to complete the outer loop to the north-west of the city from A45(Coundon Wedge area) to the M6 to provide an alternative to using the rong road to cross the city. J6 (train station) round to J1 (Foleshill Road) are massively busy compared to the East which has the A46.

An argument I often have with people who say how great the ring road is is that it's only as good as it's weakest part, and the trunk roads leading to it are far too small and predominantly single lane (or act like it due to parking) to feed into the ring road, so you get tailbacks on them which is where most of the poor air quality occurs). It's not uncommon for me to see tailbacks at rush-hour on Holyhead Road back to Coundon Wedge and to Allesley Park on Allesley Old Road. Radford Road can get really bad too.

It's also far from ideal that all these roads lead to the ringroad, so ALL traffic wanting to go into and around the city are forced inward to the ringroad. I've thought about whether we could split the junctions up so some just go into the city centre but don't attach to the ringroad whilst others do the opposite of not going into the centre but attach to the ring road.

I'm not a fan of light rail/trams and think it's more nostalgia than the best solution - it requires an awful lot of infrastructure being put in and disruption for what could easily be achieved with proper bus lanes

Philosorapter

The shape of Coventry's transport infrastructure is quite interesting.

Now, if I was playing Sim City, the obvious choice would be a opening a train/tram loop line around the City Centre to relieve the congestion on the main road arteries of the city.

The car parking fees at the proposed stations along with the Govt financial help to tackle congestion/ air pollution would go a long way to pay for this.

Imagine using the NUCKLE line as a way of relieving congestion/air pollution to the left of the city with the reopening of stations, namely Coundon Road, Lockhurst Lane and others.

Join the Very Light Rail to the NUCKLE Line around Lockhurst Lane, and shoot a right down the A444, to the right of the City Centre, again opening stations where and when needed, and finally join the line back up with itself near Coventry train station.

You've got the main transport infrastructure then to branch out to other places like Walsgrave Hospital and University of Warwick etc. Incorporate the NUCKLE Line into this, and that's Nuneaton, Bedworth, Kenilworth, Leamington and Coventry Arena sorted as well, whilst relieving a lot of the congestion/pollution in and around the City Centre.

I understand there was talk about a Very Light Rail line being open for the City of Culture year. And the train stations on the Nuckle Line could be opened well within the Govt's timetable to relieve congestion/air pollution.

Other areas have been given twelve months to solve their problems and the Clean Air Zone is the default fall back position provided to the Govt by CCC.

It can be changed.

I believe CCC/WMCA would need greater control on the future delivery of the NUCKLE Line to make a truly locally intergrated transport infrastructure.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

chiefdave

Correct me if i'm wrong but not happening till 2028.............Hopefully i'll be well away from here by then :)
The timescale for introduction is a vague 'as soon as possible'. 2028 is the date by which they are saying charging will no longer be needed as there will be no vehicles on the road that reach the level of emissions required to trigger a charge.

ccfctommy

Here in Verona they banned diesels within the city for 6 months to alleviate pollution.

It’s also way ahead of the UK in terms of alternative fuel for cars, a lot are GPL or metano. Filled my metano car up earlier for €8 and it’ll do me 225km.

What is a Merano car?

Users who are viewing this thread