Gordon Milne (1 Viewer)

Moff

Gordon Milne got us (LCFC) promoted to the top flight in 1983, he then kept us there on a limited budget. He upset some of the supporters when he swapped Jim Melrose for Tommy English (tbh neither of whom were particularly good). some fans demanded a change and they got their wish in 1986 when he was replaced by Bryan Hamilton, who promptly got us relegated.

I can see how signing Tommy English would upset any fans, bloody hell he was useless.
I liked Melrose in the season he had with us, he scored a few, and then sodded off to Celtic.

Johnnythespider

I quite liked Tom English, until he dyed his hair blonde that is. Scored 17 in 66 appearances.

Wolves_SkyBlue

OK folks I started following the Sky Blues in earnst when Gordon was in charge and I wont hear a bad word against him. I am currently in Istanbul and I carried out a little survey this morning down in the local market. No-one had heard of Cov but they all remembered Gordon and credited him for bringing "modern" coaching techniques to the country - previously they only had Eastern European coaches. BTW Galatasary are really lording it over Fenebache for being the first to win 20 championships!

Hobo

cant believe terry yorath hasn't been mentioned in this thread.

Oh yeah, paired with Andy Blair or Ray Gooding...picked up Ray Graydon to balance out Tommy Hutch on the other wing.....Bobby McDonald another steal.......oh Milne was a good time at CCFC!

Esoterica

Having a feeling he signed Gary Lineker at Nagoya Grampus Eight in the mid 90s too after he'd managed him at Leicester after he left us

phildownunder

Oh yeah, paired with Andy Blair or Ray Gooding...picked up Ray Graydon to balance out Tommy Hutch on the other wing.....Bobby McDonald another steal.......oh Milne was a good time at CCFC!

Yes I forgot Yorath in my list of signings.

When GM signed Graydon he had City playing 4 4 2 with Yorath and Barry Powell the hard working midfield pair.

ollyservetta

Gordon milne in my mind was a great manager, his teams were always exciting to watch , I, like many others, grew into a sky blue whilst he was our manager , great days ,between Highfield road , Gosford green and Fishy moores ,and not forgetting Tiffineys, . Am I right in saying he was at one time the most successful British manager abroad ?

Wolves_SkyBlue

Ah Fishy moores - my favourite chippie ever, fond memories. Football was great then with Fergie & Wallace in their prime

fellatio_Martinez

Oooh eee by gum. I remember tut days when the coal mines would leave your face as black as an African fella. Heh, that was before the days where you'd even know what an African fella looked like! These days you see 'em everywhere, not like in my day...

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Fortress Highfield Road at that time. No one liked coming to us, because at our best we were unbeatable at home. Remember beating Liverpool 1-0 when Liverpool were particularly good . We played them off the park. We hammered Everton 4-2 with ease. The list goes on. Everything we did was positive, everything was about going forward and scoring goals.

Anyone remember Graham Oakey ? - young attacking left back and one of the best prospects we ever had. Tragic how his injury cut his career short.

Ashdown

Oooh eee by gum. I remember tut days when the coal mines would leave your face as black as an African fella. Heh, that was before the days where you'd even know what an African fella looked like! These days you see 'em everywhere, not like in my day...
Not your best tit head !

Norman Binns

The 77-78 season was brilliant entertainment, basically playing 3-3-4 and abandoning any pretence of defending. We missed out on Europe by a whisker, and if I’m not mistaken we scored 75 and conceded 76! Some of the wins were indeed among the best performances in the club’s history. On the other hand, when it went wrong it really did go wrong – I was at Goodison Park for the 6-0 defeat and didn’t find it very entertaining at all. If we went a few goals down we’d just throw caution to the wind and adopt an even more attacking formation. The 7-1 loss at the Hawthorns the following year was similar, and it’s easy to see why Gordon Milne got criticised at times - but what I’d give to have a team like that again.

I was at Goodison for that match too and as odd as it sounds, we were actually the better side overall and widely acknowledged as that. Disappointing yes but still entertaining to watch but that's how it was under the GM era. The 7-1 defeat at West Brom was totally different, completely outplayed and we didn't get a look in. Still, you always knew another week an opposing team team would be on the wrong end of a result like that. Great times, great memories.

torchomatic

The 7-1 defeat was my first away game. Different era I know but that Southampton result at the Dell was a shocker too. Was it Lloys's debut?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Grendel

The 7-1 defeat was my first away game. Different era I know but that Southampton result at the Dell was a shocker too. Was it Lloys's debut?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes it was - we did score one more than the WBA game - oh and conceded one more.

phildownunder

Before the thread fades away, anyone remember the game v Norwich at HR ?

This game had everything; both sides going flat out in attack, lots of goals including Wallace`s "bicycle - kick" one, near misses by both sides, and penalty dramas.

Norwich were 3-2 up at HT after City had been 2 up. City scored three in the second half and Norwich got another one. Then right at the end Norwich had a penalty which was saved. 5-4 to City.

I reckon there may well have been more entertainment in that one game than the total served up at the Ricoh last time in nearly a whole season !

Before the thread fades away, anyone remember the game v Norwich at HR ?

This game had everything; both sides going flat out in attack, lots of goals including Wallace`s "bicycle - kick" one, near misses by both sides, and penalty dramas.

Norwich were 3-2 up at HT after City had been 2 up. City scored three in the second half and Norwich got another one. Then right at the end Norwich had a penalty which was saved. 5-4 to City.

I reckon there may well have been more entertainment in that one game than the total served up at the Ricoh last time in nearly a whole season !

Bloody Hell, I remember that game - emotions all over the place. One of the few times I wasn't looking at my watch hoping for the end of the game.

Some one in managerial charge should let the current squad see the types of games we've been used to and how players in the past had a real pride in playing for OUR club and making it THEIR club.

phildownunder

The year we had Graydon (and then Nardiello) on the right and Hutch on the left, it was much more of a 4-2-4.

You`re dead right. It was a typo on my part (as you can tell from the wording) which I didn`t pick up on until later and by then I thought it wasn`t worth changing.

Well spotted !

mrtrench

Bloody Hell, I remember that game - emotions all over the place. One of the few times I wasn't looking at my watch hoping for the end of the game.

Some one in managerial charge should let the current squad see the types of games we've been used to and how players in the past had a real pride in playing for OUR club and making it THEIR club.

I was there too.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I do remember there were at least two goals disallowed, maybe three. It was an amazing match.

Irish Sky Blue

The Norwich game was amazing. However I think there was a n even better game, my all time favourite, earlier in the season. We were playing Man City at HR, a night game in October. They came into the game unbeaten and as league leaders. We were hanging on a bit in the first half and went in 2- 1 down. In the second half we were transformed. Wave after wave of sky blue attacks reined down on their goal. They were conceding free kicks all over the place and must have collected 5 or 6 bookings as they tried to keep us at bay. Finally, just as it looked as though we would never score, the pressure told, the dam burst and 3 goals flooded in giving us a 4-2 win against an excellent team. Fergie got a hat trick (one of three or four that season) and Wallace the other. That second half performance was the finest I have ever seen by any team ever (yes I am biased). As I have said on here before, I think we would have beaten anyone that night we were so good. Although the formation was nominally 4 2 4, our wingers played as forwards and our full backs pushed right up the field. In reality the formation was often 2 4 4. Great games, great team, great manager.
Just looked up the team for that game. Sealey, Oakey, McDonald, Yorath, Holton, Coop, Beck, Wallace, Ferguson, Powell, Hutchison. The Man City team contained Corrigan, Kidd, Barnes, Royal, Hartford and Tueart.

Wolves_SkyBlue

Jim Blyth save right at the death as I recall. Did Martin Peters score? Ghosting in unmarked as was his trademark. One of my all time favourite games

Otis

I think that Norwich game will go down as one of the best ever games seen at HR.

I was in the West End for that game.

Sent from my LG-D405 using Tapatalk

rupert_bear

I think Norwich were top or thereabouts then too, John Bond was their manager i believe. What a drone of an accent he had !

DazzleTommyDazzle

The Norwich game was amazing. However I think there was a n even better game, my all time favourite, earlier in the season. We were playing Man City at HR, a night game in October. They came into the game unbeaten and as league leaders. We were hanging on a bit in the first half and went in 2- 1 down. In the second half we were transformed. Wave after wave of sky blue attacks reined down on their goal. They were conceding free kicks all over the place and must have collected 5 or 6 bookings as they tried to keep us at bay. Finally, just as it looked as though we would never score, the pressure told, the dam burst and 3 goals flooded in giving us a 4-2 win against an excellent team. Fergie got a hat trick (one of three or four that season) and Wallace the other. That second half performance was the finest I have ever seen by any team ever (yes I am biased). As I have said on here before, I think we would have beaten anyone that night we were so good. Although the formation was nominally 4 2 4, our wingers played as forwards and our full backs pushed right up the field. In reality the formation was often 2 4 4. Great games, great team, great manager.
Just looked up the team for that game. Sealey, Oakey, McDonald, Yorath, Holton, Coop, Beck, Wallace, Ferguson, Powell, Hutchison. The Man City team contained Corrigan, Kidd, Barnes, Royal, Hartford and Tueart.

Remember it well.

The night before I left home to start university!

Irish Sky Blue

Remember it well.

The night before I left home to start university!

Great memory to be leaving home with! I was working at the Alvis at the time. A good few City supporters there but also a good few people who were only happy when they could sneer at us. I loved going in the next day after this game as they had little to say!

Users who are viewing this thread