GOD loves the CITY (4 Viewers)

J

Jack Griffin

I'm talking about a former prime minister who preceded over Williams' tenure at education. Oh dear have you never heard of him?

Sunny Jim... "lovely man", never won an election though ISTR. (phew)

japandy

I am sorry if I have corrupted this site with my feelings, but I have one thing to say. I DONT CARE BECAUSE GOD RULES THE WORLD, NOT STUPID HUMANS

Grendel

Well, Shirely Williams was on the right of the Labour Party, part of the faction that split into the Social-Democratic party. She was a neo-liberal. Quick search on the Internet and cross-referencing my Politics folder, I know who she is now and the Scoial-Democratic Party. Now I've got to search the other lot up.

No, it's out of my time by 30-odd years.

My point has gone over your head.

Pre-comprehensive state education the political elite was a pretty even split between working class and public school educated. The Labour Party had working class roots and it had the correct people from the correct background to represent this. Callaghan, Wilson, Williams etc. were all products of a free state system that encouraged excellence and equality amongst the working classes.

Williams Education Act meant that this came to an end. Ironically the last 2 such products of the system were Thatcher and Major. Since then we have been subjected from both sides of the political fence by career politicians all of whom have had a privileged education system. You could argue that these politicians in supporting this current system are doing so as a way of keeping the genuine working classes away from the political system. The constant dumbing down of state education means that the political elite is now almost a closed shop of the private preserve so you are effectively by your arguments supporting the maintenance of a Private members club in politics we have not seen since the 1930's.

You did not even know who Callaghan was yet when I was studying political history in the 80's I could have named most senior politicians (and certainly all Prime Ministers) going back to the turn of the century.

That's it from me -- back to being a SISU puppet.

Mucca Mad Boys

I am sorry if I have corrupted this site with my feelings, but I have one thing to say. I DONT CARE BECAUSE GOD RULES THE WORLD, NOT STUPID HUMANS

"Stupid humans" made God though.

I respect what you have to say, you're entitled to your views and society and the forum is enriched by that, but there are other views that will come into conflict, that's the wait is.

Grendel

Hats off to you SBT. Good to see a young person not off their face and wanking over reality tv

That is very true

Mucca Mad Boys

My point has gone over your head.

Pre-comprehensive state education the political elite was a pretty even split between working class and public school educated. The Labour Party had working class roots and it had the correct people from the correct background to represent this. Callaghan, Wilson, Williams etc. were all products of a free state system that encouraged excellence and equality amongst the working classes.

Williams Education Act meant that this came to an end. Ironically the last 2 such products of the system were Thatcher and Major. Since then we have been subjected from both sides of the political fence by career politicians all of whom have had a privileged education system. You could argue that these politicians in supporting this current system are doing so as a way of keeping the genuine working classes away from the political system. The constant dumbing down of state education means that the political elite is now almost a closed shop of the private preserve so you are effectively by your arguments supporting the maintenance of a Private members club in politics we have not seen since the 1930's.

You did not even know who Callaghan was yet when I was studying political history in the 80's I could have named most senior politicians (and certainly all Prime Ministers) going back to the turn of the century.

That's it from me -- back to being a SISU puppet.

You studied that at Uni, I'm doing A-Levels and what you've just mentioned is outside the syllabus I'm studying, which starts from 1979 and doesn't mention that Labour Government, in fact, I only know what little of what I did when we were on 'Ideologies' comparing ideologies and evaluating how far Labour has drifted from its founding principles and the reaction of Labour to Thatcherism. It's not my fault it's not what I'm learning is it? If I was studying Political History at Uni, your criticisms would have some validity, but I'm not. It's like me quizzing you on the political leaders in, say, France, 30 years before you were born, you wouldn't have a clue.

Grendel

You studied that at Uni, I'm doing A-Levels and what you've just mentioned is outside the syllabus I'm studying, which starts from 1979 and doesn't mention that Labour Government, in fact, I only know what little of what I did when we were on 'Ideologies' comparing ideologies and evaluating how far Labour has drifted from its founding principles and the reaction of Labour to Thatcherism. It's not my fault it's not what I'm learning is it? If I was studying Political History at Uni, your criticisms would have some validity, but I'm not. It's like me quizzing you on the political leaders in, say, France, 30 years before you were born, you wouldn't have a clue.

I didn't study it at Uni

Mucca Mad Boys

Hats off to you SBT. Good to see a young person not off their face and wanking over reality tv

Thanks, your comments are appreciated!

Monday will be a very long drinking session, pre and post Walsall game. But that's it for the holidays.

I don't bother with TV anymore, so much shit on it, I only watch SSN, BBC QT, sports, Family Guy and that's about it. I hate this, BigBrother, TOWIE, GeordieShore shit on TV, it's embarrassing this shit makes TV, let alone it's popularity, people like Amy Childs, Joey Essex are fecking stupid, yet are idolised, an abomination of my generation! Like our music as well, auto tuned shit. I apologise to my future generations in advance.

dadgad

I scored 93% in that survey.......and I was reminded of summat an anvcestor of mine said:

"We should not have children unless we can educate them better than we were educated or feed them better than we were fed."

Amen to that.:guitar2::guitar2::guitar2:

Nonleagueherewecome

Oh I agree on his views on education as well. I agree with grammar schools. How many labour prime ministers with a working class background do you think would ever have made it under a comprehensive "lets all fail together unless you are rich and privileged" system?

I agree with Grammar Schools too. There, we agree on something.
There's that example of a (once) Tory policy I agreed with whilst hating them in general, much as I agree with PSGM1 on Linnell, but not on many other things!

japandy

GREAT THREAD I apologise for my last comments but that was sent under stress lol. I love young people discussing religion and politics and its what is missing from this apathetic world. NOW to really put the cat among the pigeons. Does the Easter bunny really exist?

HAPPY EASTER

Sky Blue Pete

In a grammar school system how do you avoid casting kids off who are failing to thrive at 11?? Or is it more the principle you both agree with??

Sky Blue Pete

What a learned bunch you all are!! My family weren't really Christians but I had a voice and so joined a choir at an early age. Never felt brainwashed to believe anything, feel that I am still working through a journey of faith with God as represented in human form by Jesus Christ in his time on earth. I think one of the mistakes my Christian faith makes is how adversarial it has been with what is truth and everything else. It has meant it has been in the wrong side of so many moral arguments through history.
Slavery, women, war to name 3.
My other current reflection is how the Christian faith can avoid appearing to say it doesn't matter what you do cause god will forgive you in an apathetic way. Suggesting that life is somehow a free ride!
Sonething one of you said about living a good life taking care of those around you etc is way more important than a set of beliefs isn't it?
My faith resolves around acting justly, loving mercy and waking humbly whilst seeking to embody the values Jesus embodied on earth as we read in the gospels. Whilst recognising the truth of the lives of those around me who don't share my understanding

mark82

Sonething one of you said about living a good life taking care of those around you etc is way more important than a set of beliefs isn't it?

Nail on the head. Religion is not for me but each to their own. I have many friends who are Christians and they are some of the best people I know and certainly not stupid (one even has a degree in Astro-Physics which to my mind disproves God!).

As for the education system these days - where should I start! At least SBT seems to have come through it seemingly quite well and seems to speak well beyond his years. Not read all this thread so I have assumed private education?

Mucca Mad Boys

Nail on the head. Religion is not for me but each to their own. I have many friends who are Christians and they are some of the best people I know and certainly not stupid (one even has a degree in Astro-Physics which to my mind disproves God!).

As for the education system these days - where should I start! At least SBT seems to have come through it seemingly quite well and seems to speak well beyond his years. Not read all this thread so I have assumed private education?

I'm at Coundon Court/President Kennedy (for Politics, they don't offer it at CC)

I'm the only actual atheist in my immediate family, majority are agnostic, but lean towards believing because they want to believe.

I do think the education system needs to teach real life stuff, I personally think politics and history should be compulsory, there are people in my year who don't know who the PM is, or the leaders of the 3 main political parties are! There are too many people apathetic to politics so they should be taught, I'm quite political, like my friends, but after me, and my friends, I can't name people who are political or even care about politics, I think people are susceptible to the lies politicians' lies/false promises (I got duped in 2010, thankfully I couldn't vote!) because they don't understand what that politician stands for, and therefore, what he'll do if he were elected.

I'd also like to see a bigger emphasis on sports and teachers should be given higher status, after spending the first 3 years of secondary schools pissing about, I've come to respect teachers a lot, they get underpaid.

Sky Blue Pete

I'm at Coundon Court/President Kennedy (for Politics, they don't offer it at CC)

I'm the only actual atheist in my immediate family, majority are agnostic, but lean towards believing because they want to believe.

I do think the education system needs to teach real life stuff, I personally think politics and history should be compulsory, there are people in my year who don't know who the PM is, or the leaders of the 3 main political parties are! There are too many people apathetic to politics so they should be taught, I'm quite political, like my friends, but after me, and my friends, I can't name people who are political or even care about politics, I think people are susceptible to the lies politicians' lies/false promises (I got duped in 2010, thankfully I couldn't vote!) because they don't understand what that politician stands for, and therefore, what he'll do if he were elected.

I'd also like to see a bigger emphasis on sports and teachers should be given higher status, after spending the first 3 years of secondary schools pissing about, I've come to respect teachers a lot, they get underpaid.
Yep agree a lot, many are excellent

TheRoyalScam

What a learned bunch you all are!! My family weren't really Christians but I had a voice and so joined a choir at an early age. Never felt brainwashed to believe anything, feel that I am still working through a journey of faith with God as represented in human form by Jesus Christ in his time on earth. I think one of the mistakes my Christian faith makes is how adversarial it has been with what is truth and everything else. It has meant it has been in the wrong side of so many moral arguments through history.
Slavery, women, war to name 3.
My other current reflection is how the Christian faith can avoid appearing to say it doesn't matter what you do cause god will forgive you in an apathetic way. Suggesting that life is somehow a free ride!
My faith resolves around acting justly, loving mercy and waking humbly whilst seeking to embody the values Jesus embodied on earth as we read in the gospels. Whilst recognising the truth of the lives of those around me who don't share my understanding

I follow pretty much the same moral code as you. I just don't need a religion to tell me right from wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread