GOD loves the CITY (4 Viewers)

Samo

We are in Administration, just had a points deduction and are about as fucked as we could be. So... I'm guessing God is a Villa fan!
But he isnt really because he DOESN'T EXIST you silly, silly people! Grow up and live your lives without an imaginary friend!

mark82

Each to their own people. Careful not to make your comments offensive. Pretty sure whatever the op's religious views this thread was meant to be light hearted.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Each to their own people. Careful not to make your comments offensive. Pretty sure whatever the op's religious views this thread was meant to be light hearted.

I find religion offensive. I was dragged up by nuns and priests in a 1950's convent. I had religion forced upon me from the age of 5, I was made to learn Latin at the same age. If I didn't get the language right, I was beaten with a 4" wide leather belt. I had to go to mass every other morning, and every evening after a crap meal, it was either an hour of rosary or benediction in the convent church. I've written a book on this.
Religion? Forget it!

Houchens Head

Just done that quiz Royal S. Seems I'm an agnostic! ;)

TheRoyalScam

Out of interest, what % did you get? (You don't have to reply - I know it's quite a personal 'quiz'!)

ashbyjan

So £60m in debt, in administration, in the 1st Division, just been deducted 10 points scuppering any hopes of promotion and still got David Bell for another 2 seasons - if this is God showing his love lets be thankful we haven't pissed the Big Man off or things could get bad for us!

TheRoyalScam

So £60m in debt, in administration, in the 1st Division, just been deducted 10 points scuppering any hopes of promotion and still got David Bell for another 2 seasons - if this is God showing his love lets be thankful we haven't pissed the Big Man off or things could get bad for us!

Question for 'believers': Why is 'god' always male?

Nonleagueherewecome

I have to say the only scam here is that survey! As ever, the answer you get depends on the question you ask. And for over half of those questions, my answer wasn't there, meaning you find yourself choosing the one they want you to to avoid the "complete bastard/nut-case" options!

Organised religion is bad; organised middle class hippy wank trying hard to not to be religion is every bit as bad IMO.

TheRoyalScam

I have to say the only scam here is that survey! As ever, the answer you get depends on the question you ask. And for over half of those questions, my answer wasn't there, meaning you find yourself choosing the one they want you to to avoid the "complete bastard/nut-case" options!

Organised religion is bad; organised middle class hippy wank trying hard to not to be religion is every bit as bad IMO.

So which answers were "complete bastard/nut-case" from your point of view?

And I'd be interested to see your own answers to the questions.

With only 4 available answers I agree with you that it is a very basic 'survey' - it's just the BHA trying to provoking discussion and debate on individuals' philosophies.

Nonleagueherewecome

I can't be bothered to go back onto it, but stuff like the one about laws, "I do what I want", or the one which alluded to the meaning of life being to get as much money as possible...that sort.

Nonleagueherewecome

Essentially, I see the whole humanist movement as a bit of a "ohh, we hate religion, but we want religion in our lives after all, only in a smug and pretentious way". I dunno, just watch the Peep Show episode about it, it says what I think in a much more entertaining way than my incoherent ramblings!

TheRoyalScam

He's not royal scam!! As a Christian I think to give god a personhood is unhelpful

Only going on what people say or what I read, SBP!

Ashbyjan: 'The Big Fella'

The Lord's Prayer: 'Our Father....'

Sky Blue Pete: 'He's not....'

The Two Mormons who called chez Scam the other week: #1: 'I see him as a big old white man with a long beard....', #2: 'So do I....'

Nonleagueherewecome

Has anyone seen the Matt Stone and Trey Parker thing on the Mormons yet?

Royal Scam the recent BBC4 series on the history of early Christian art was fantastic, quite revealing...so much of the imagery around Christianity is very much added on later and bares little resemblance to the characters portrayed in the Bible.

TheRoyalScam

Essentially, I see the whole humanist movement as a bit of a "ohh, we hate religion, but we want religion in our lives after all, only in a smug and pretentious way". I dunno, just watch the Peep Show episode about it, it says what I think in a much more entertaining way than my incoherent ramblings!

You're quite wrong I'm afraid - humanists don't 'hate religion' or 'want religion in our lives after all'.

Let me quote Arthur C. Clarke: "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion."

I like Peep Show but unfortunately haven't seen the one concerning Humanism.

TheRoyalScam

100% yes, ajsccfc - Easter has always been a secular festival, just like Yule - both of them hijacked by religion.

CJparker

If there is a GOD, I think it likely that He / She loves CCFC no more and no less than everyone else. Therefore, the original post is not wrong as such, but kind of irrelevant

Nonleagueherewecome

You're quite wrong I'm afraid - humanists don't 'hate religion' or 'want religion in our lives after all'.

Let me quote Arthur C. Clarke: "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion."

I like Peep Show but unfortunately haven't seen the one concerning Humanism.

Of course humanists wouldn't say that; it's my analysis and opinion of them. Just can just live your life and do the right thing, you don't need a load of pretentious baggage to justify it.

Nonleagueherewecome

100% yes, ajsccfc - Easter has always been a secular festival, just like Yule - both of them hijacked by religion.

Does secular mean the same thing as pagan? Lord, where are you, that's probably your area!

TheRoyalScam

'...live your life and do the right thing, you don't need a load of pretentious baggage to justify it...'

It could be argued that humanists do precisely that: do the right thing without the baggage of religion.;)

What's 'pretentious' about Humanism?

Houchens Head

Jesus was just a religious prophet like John the Baptist or any other. His so called "disciples" made him out to be "god"!

TheRoyalScam

'secular': not having any connection with religion

'pagan': belonging to a religion that worships many gods, especially one which existed before the main world religions

Users who are viewing this thread