Goalkeeping over the years (1 Viewer)

Adge

Wasn't sure how far to go back. I'm sure we've had lots more

And I did like Marshall. As I did Flowers and Goram. And Hedman. Have au gone back far enough yet? :)
Na not Goram, wrong side of Glasgow!

Londonccfcfan

How has his kicking and distribution got worse as the seasons gone on?

I cannot fathom why a professional keeper isn’t practising his kicking or distribution day and night until it improves.

Just cannot see any improvement. I think it’s the best we have got and we have no option but to stick with it. He does have good games occasionally. We have no option to back the ones we have got and hope they make no more clangers.

Hobo

The stats are:

Burge played 82 games at L1 & L2 level and conceded 95 goals

O’Brien played 55 games at L2 level (never played at L1) and conceded 101 goals

Burge concedes 1.15 goals a game over his league career

O’Brien concedes 1.83 goals a game over his league career

Yes but O'Brien is the better keeper because he is not in the team at the moment and Burge will always be considered an inferior keeper by our fans.

Grendel

Yes but O'Brien is the better keeper because he is not in the team at the moment and Burge will always be considered an inferior keeper by our fans.

Burge is in my opinion the worst goalkeeper to have been offered a new contract by the club in the 46 years I’ve supported them

What is your view?

Calista

Of the keepers since Oggy, I’d say only Westwood has been top drawer. I recall Hedman making loads of bad errors on corners and crosses that contributed greatly to getting relegated from the Prem. He was nowhere near as good as he thought he was, and I’m not sure why he always seems to get favourable mentions on here?

Grendel

Gazolba

John Filan was pretty good. Let go by us but went on to do very well with Blackburn and Wigan.
But in my estimation, Jim Blyth was the best GK we ever had.

Last edited:

Seamus1

I recall Hedman making loads of bad errors on corners and crosses that contributed greatly to getting relegated from the Prem. He was nowhere near as good as he thought he was, and I’m not sure why he always seems to get favourable mentions on here?

With Hedman as number 1, we finished in 11th, 15th and 14th in the Premiership. In the season we were relegated from the Premiership, Chris Kirkland played 23 games.

Year after year, the goalkeeping gets worse and questions need to be raised about the effectiveness of the coaching. Burge has been coached as a number 1 for 4 years now, yet there are no signs of improvement

bringbackrattles

On the subject of keepers how about Les Sealey as the craziest ? And as a kid we had a goalie called Arthur Lightening who hailed from South Africa. My dad said he was a burglar ! He got done for some theft charge I think, but I reckon my dad exaggerated it a bit ?

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Murphy, for Me, was a lot like Carl Baker! Was hit and miss (on a good day) in the Championship. But once in L1 he looked like a fantastic keeper! Shame we couldn't keep hold of him! Was probably on a big wage though, but a top class L1 keeper, average Championship

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Agree. Murphy was excellent for us in L1, but I wasn't his biggest fan in the Champ (though he was on a hiding to nothing trying to fill Westwood's shoes).

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Careful what you wish for although I am an R C C fan I have to admit that 95 goals in 82 appearances stands up I any way you look at it,even with a good defence . I think our problems are the opposite end of the pitch . Saturday 20 shots 10 on target and not 1 goal I mistake and a lot on here want to crucify him. Get real

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Remember him chasing the ref even up to the halfway line when he thought a player was offside also good with mud pies in winter games we would be on the lookout if play was up the other end . The chip shop at the end of lower ford street at the time was called Arthurs and many fans called in there after the game whether it was named after him or just coincident not sure.

bringbackrattles

I'm going to write an article for Late Tackle football magazine,who I write for during the season, on Tommy Lawrence the Liverpool keeper who passed away recently. I'll try and include Arthur as he sounds like a real character. I often sneak Cov players and games in to my articles !

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Just looked up our 2 goalkeepers from last season Burge and R C C their form this season R C C 12 games for Swindon 28 saves 12goals conceded Burge 23 games 61 saves 18 goals conceded perhaps our case might not be such a good defence as a good goalkeeper shoring up an average defence.

Hobo

Burge is in my opinion the worst goalkeeper to have been offered a new contract by the club in the 46 years I’ve supported them

What is your view?

I don't think he is a great keeper but I also think he is victim of first impressions and his record is better than he is given credit for. Yes he has been at fault for some goals, but equally I have seen him blamed for goals that weren't his fault.

I honestly haven't seen enough of O'Brien to judge him, but at the moment appears no better or worse.

It does amuse me how great players are in the eyes of the fans when they are not playing. Managers and coaches are seeing them everyday aren't they?

bringbackrattles

On the subject of keepers all goalies have made errors. Premier League to non-league all have made clangers and cocked up, it's part of their job it seems. David James nickname was "Calamity" but the record books show him as the best ever clean sheet keeper in the Premier League. I've seen Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton against us let in soft goals, and Peter Bonetti who was called The Cat, have a nightmare. That doesn't mean I reckon Burge is a great keeper, but he's no worse or better than any in the lower divisions.

Hobo

What is your view?

New Contract offer ;-) Not the worst keeper then ;-)

Skyblue_CP

In fairness i think Burge is in fact a decent shot stopper at this level, and id go as far to say from the little ive seen of OBrien, Burge spills alot less. However Burge' kicking has always been his major weak point, although this season has seen a marked improvement because atleast he isnt kicking it straight out of play now! OBrien' kicking/Distribution is top notch, handling however is poor.

Johhny Blue

Only fair way to judge it is to look at how many cock-ups other L1 and L2 keepers have made that cost goals. Apart from the McNulty one at the start of the season (which was more like the defenders fault tbf) can anyone think of one in our favour in the last season or two?
Doyle?
There's actually a lot of poor goalkeeping in this league if you watch back all of our goals this season.

Johhny Blue

On the subject of keepers all goalies have made errors. Premier League to non-league all have made clangers and cocked up, it's part of their job it seems. David James nickname was "Calamity" but the record books show him as the best ever clean sheet keeper in the Premier League. I've seen Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton against us let in soft goals, and Peter Bonetti who was called The Cat, have a nightmare. That doesn't mean I reckon Burge is a great keeper, but he's no worse or better than any in the lower divisions.
Yeah, but Gordon Banks only had one eye!

Trivia question for this thread. Who can remember Ernie hunt playing in goal?

the rumpo kid

It's all that fat Welsh bitch out of Gavin and Stacie,s fault. Don't know why oggy lets her coach anymore...................... Apart from the fact she has a big flappy fanny.

NortonSkyBlue

Yeah, but Gordon Banks only had one eye!

Trivia question for this thread. Who can remember Ernie hunt playing in goal?
Great question, in the days before goalkeeper substitutes I can't remember us using an outfield player in goal but we surely must have.
I can remember young goalie Steve Murcott ending up in goal in 1979 having played in a reserve game earlier that day and is winning 2-0 v Norwich.

wingy

Great question, in the days before goalkeeper substitutes I can't remember us using an outfield player in goal but we surely must have.
I can remember young goalie Steve Murcott ending up in goal in 1979 having played in a reserve game earlier that day and is winning 2-0 v Norwich.
Stephen Hughes when Ian Bennet was sent off by Mr Singh V Stoke
Clean sheet! B-)

Users who are viewing this thread